Guitar Level to Line Level Hi-Quality Preamp

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I'm unclear. Is the noise before or after the amp simulator? How much noise do you get with a shorted input on the pre playing thru the amp sim compared with a guitar plugged in. I'm trying to see if the noise is mostly from the sim, the pre or the guitar. If your guitar dosnt have a humbucker and your in a noises EM enviroment (dimmers, computers, motor brushes) your guit maybe the bigest problem.

nonono I didn't wanted to expand on that because I already talked about that in previous comments but I'll explain: my chain would be Guitar (an Epiphone Explorer GT with the original pickups Neck pickup: 650R Alnico humbucker Bridge Pickup: 700T Alnico humbucker), then pre, then soundcard (ADI AD2000B onboard, my old and good X-Fi Xtreme Music suck at this, sadly) in line in of course and with ASIO4ALL v2, then DAW, or amp modelling, or audio editor, etc (1 at a time only possible). SO:

Guitar --> Pre --> Soundcar's Line In ASIO4ALLv2 --> Modelling

No hardware cab sim in this configuration. When I want to use amp modelling, because, at least with Guitar Rig, the cabsim doesn't make a difference, seems like the program equalize the incoming signal to flat again and the cabsimulation one can choose inside the program, with many options.
Now, when I don't want to use amp modelling and I want to use some pedal then the chain is:

Guitar --> cabsim --> Soundcard bla bla --> recording program

But as I said here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/inst...ne-level-hi-quality-preamp-5.html#post4277317 #49 I replace the input buffer with the preamp so I can choose between normal "flat" signal and cab sim with the same preamp, one device. So actually would be something like:

Guitar --> pre --> cabsim eq circuit --> soundcard bla--> software

And I tried a lot of preamps by now, and get different noise levels as I said here http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/inst...ne-level-hi-quality-preamp-7.html#post4294663 #70 in my findings. The "bass slapping sound" is a glitch I'm getting with opamps mostly, not with MOSFET for example. Is a violent beggining of each touch of strings with lots of bass that reminds the bass slap playing technique. And really destroys the sound, makes it almost useless (I can remove some of it with inside software eq and restore the bass with eq again after the effects and before the soft cabsim)

Have you ever tried a transformer DI box straight into a mic input? It would take the pre noise out of the equation, but sub in the mic pre noise. It might be a interesting test.

I would love to, but here in Miseryland can't get anything like that and sending to make transformers... pffff expensive as... as... yes that, as an A.S.S.

SO, it has to be the preamps. I tested my soundcard with other sources and makes absolutely no noticeable noise. My guitar well... I don't think is a good guitar, everybody says its so good, but I don't think so, but making noise? mmm nah... with other effects through my guitar amp sounds "great" (no noise). Cables, well that's possible and I,m using breadboard so I expect little less noise after boxing of course. Other noise sources, I already checked and controlling. But again, I'm getting different noise levels with different preamps so...

Last edited:
...that damn bass slapping effect...everything sucks

Wow, is this thread still going on? If your circuit is powered by a single 9 volt battery, as has been shown, then likely as not the classic problem arises: it's not the amp, it's the power supply.

Don't forget that there are not just overtones, there are also undertones. If you play hard down close to the bridge on the 5th and 6th strings you're actually entering bass guitar territory. Then two things happen:

First, this puts huge demands on the power supply. A single 9-volt battery, especially if there's no capacitor bank, might just plain run out of juice.

The second problem is a wee bit technical, but only a wee bit. A single-battery 9 volt op amp circuit is actually running at +/-4.5 volts (all single-supply op amp circuits work this way).

You don't have to play all that hard for a guitar pickup to drive a preamp circuit to more than the available +/-4.5 volts. So clipping--i.e. distortion--occurs.

Bottom line: if you're using a single 9 volt battery without a capacitor bank, you might solve all problems by going to a dual-voltage setup using 2 batteries (+/- 9 volts = 18 volts available).

PS don't eBay sellers deliver to South America? It seems at least the Asian sellers do.

Last edited:
How much noise do you get with a shorted input on the pre playing thru the amp sim compared with a guitar plugged in. I'm trying to see if the noise is mostly from the sim, the pre or the guitar. If your guitar dosnt have a humbucker and your in a noises EM enviroment (dimmers, computers, motor brushes) your guit maybe the bigest problem.

And never actually responded to you this. Sorry.

No noticeable noise at any configuration, preamp alone, preamp plus cabsim circuit, without guitar and shorting. Now, through amp modelling with an amp at high gain (modelled) the cabsim have a lot more noise but again, I don't use it like that, I use the preamp alone, that's how this must be used, and how it makes any sense using it.
But, I reduced the noise considerably, just before testing this, by rearranging some cables a bit in the breadboard and let a pot at the exit of the preamp at maximun as I noticed that when reducing value until certain point, induce a lot of noise. This is not the first time I experienced this in this preamps designs: potentiometers at the exit or/and in the gain "stage" causes noise when reducing the values sometimes until the end sometimes before. Why could this be?

Wow, is this thread still going on? If your circuit is powered by a single 9 volt battery, as has been shown, then likely as not the classic problem arises: it's not the amp, it's the power supply.

Don't forget that there are not just overtones, there are also undertones. If you play hard down close to the bridge on the 5th and 6th strings you're actually entering bass guitar territory. Then two things happen:

First, this puts huge demands on the power supply. A single 9-volt battery, especially if there's no capacitor bank, might just plain run out of juice.

The second problem is a wee bit technical, but only a wee bit. A single-battery 9 volt op amp circuit is actually running at +/-4.5 volts (all single-supply op amp circuits work this way).

You don't have to play all that hard for a guitar pickup to drive a preamp circuit to more than the available +/-4.5 volts. So clipping--i.e. distortion--occurs.

Bottom line: if you're using a single 9 volt battery without a capacitor bank, you might solve all problems by going to a dual-voltage setup using 2 batteries (+/- 9 volts = 18 volts available).

PS don't eBay sellers deliver to South America? It seems at least the Asian sellers do.

Hi. My power supply is a 9vdc adaptor...that gives around 7.5v...but it doesnt make noises or hum or nothing in other sensible circuits. It's not when playing hard, it's always. Of all the circuit I build and test the only others that gave me this effect is a Triple Wreck Rcustom layout modified by me, and a Tube Zone layout by me. Other similar distortions with my own layout or not, don't do this.
If it was a limited power supply deffect, do you think running a voltage doubler could have a possitive effect? I have two of those 555 based.
I will not use dual power supply, it's complicated, expensive and redundant. Because in fact, I have already modified dual power supply opamp circuits to single power and they work fine (to me...it seems...I hope...haha)
Yes they can deliver here, but its a pain in the eye.

<< My power supply is a 9vdc adaptor...that gives around 7.5v...but it doesnt make noises or hum or nothing in other sensible circuits. >>

The issue is not noise, it's whether the power supply can deliver the current necessary to run the circuit. But you're the boots on the ground, I'm making guesses from 3,000 miles away, likely your idea is better than mine. Except...

<< do you think running a voltage doubler could have a positive effect? >>

Seems unlikely as long as there's already enough voltage to run the various components. Doubling the voltage halves the available current, so it's pretty much 6 of 1.

So many different circuits have been discussed in this thread, it might be a good idea to post the amp/buffer circuit, and power supply circuit, you're actually using now. In any case this might be of interest:

"The output voltage of magnetic pickups varies between 100 mV rms to over 1 V rms for some of the higher output types. A hard strum on all 6 guitar strings can produce a larger output voltage swing, typically peak voltages of +/- 5 volts for single coil pickups and +/- 10 volt peaks on dual coil pickups." (from: Pickup (music technology) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia )

Also possibly of interest, but note that the author is testing the D string, not the sonically much more powerful E (6th) string: http://www.muzique.com/lab/pick.htm

Google: guitar pickup voltage output

Note:

RMS (root mean square) is the voltage shown by a meter. Voltage is always stated as RMS unless peak-to-peak is specified.

RMS (meter) voltage = peak voltage x 0.707

peak voltage = RMS (meter) voltage x 1.414

Last edited:
To Sid-W: Horrible: Clipped, distorted, and noisy, very noisy. I will upload samples of my actual thingy.

To bentsnake: I will, when I upload the samples, but I get the evil effect with every opamp based preamp I tried until now, the first posted in this thread for example. And as I said before, I changed input capacitor, gain, volume, output capacitor, other capacitors and more. Let me clarify that it may be subtle for others, even normal for some, but for me it ruins the sound completely and become almost useless (with distortion especially).
Thanks for the info! 10volts! But as I said, the effect is always, be it playing many strings, one string, strong or extremely soft. Always does it.

I will upload the sample of the glitch in clean tomorrow.

Here is a simple sample that I recorded many days ago to hear the difference in clean when I wasn't playing.

NOW, I'm actually not sure that the opamp based preamp/tone control is the one that I used in the sound sample, but I'm using that one these last days and sounds the same. All opamp based sounds the same, with the same bass slapping effect.
Another thing to notice is that I'm playing very softly.
Here is it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Kjc1ojM4zPs

Last edited:
Fergutor - here is a sample of my problem :- Sound sample
Any ideas what is happening there ?

I don't have any ideas about your sample, sorry :( in fact it sounds OK to me.
Probably I have what are known in England as " cloth ears " ( orejas de pano ) :)

Damn, I knew this was going to happen...YOU DEAF PEOPLE!!!

Well, I will have to do it with distortion... But it's very clear to me the difference in clean, and by itself it sounds odd.

But in some days, now it's Rally Argentina and I'm going and coming from stages :cheerful: yesssss...

Abominations

Ok I need to know what is the gain in this circuit (inserted in this post, the one in the left, the "non inverting type"), and how can I lower it, and if possible how can I make it variable. I connect another circuit (see the video in #91) at the output of 6, and as it is it seems to be a too strong signal for the second circuit...yeah I know I'm creating Frankenstein monsters here, but I did many and they're all ALIVE!!! In fact I kind of solved this with something strange, that is adding a 220k resistor at the input, but that alone create 2 undesired effect 1- it sucked the highs 2- messed with the tone controls. So I inserted in parallel to it a 3.3nF capacitor that bring the highs back, and changed the 1M resistor between 2 and 6 for a 2.2M to bring the tone control back...and it resulted all pretty well (I tried many values, off course)...but...what am I doing!?!? What monstrosities are this? Ooh! ooh...!
So, in order to stop this abominations...how do I properly lower the gain or lower the signal at point 6, conserving the tone control and original source frequencies (guitar)? Thanks!

Attachments

• tone-control.gif
    tone-control.gif
    39.3 KB · Views: 271
Last edited:
Thanks rodbean, I get always a little angry at tagboardeffects page because they don't provide with schematics, hardly comment any modification, and I don't use tagboards.

I know people it's not hard for you the question I did in my previous comment, can someone aswer it?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.