• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

GU50 SE Amplifier class A , with 6SN7 Full construction details

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2006
Paid Member
hi again Wavebourne

Maybe my books are to old or something but I couldn find anything near the data like you got on the datesheet.
Is your
Looks like your data is for application where efficience is not of primary concern and the more efficient data with the 85+W is
thougth for a application where efficiency is of prime importance.
After all, the tube is optimiced for military use and Luftwaffe/Wehrmacht was certainly mobile...
anyway, 120W in AB from a tube with only 4mA/V is good.
Am now searching if I can find something comparable cheap but steeper and of more recent design...YL1370 (and alikes) maybe a good candidate, especially in triodemode....

gorgon53 said:

Looks like your data is for application where efficience is not of primary concern and the more efficient data with the 85+W is
thougth for a application where efficiency is of prime importance.

Are you kidding?
Telefunken claims 62.5% for 120W p-p AB class.

Speasking of a triode mode, it needs helluva swing to drive, but is pretty linear:

Attachments

• gu50-triode.gif
    gu50-triode.gif
    17.4 KB · Views: 1,478
Joined 2006
Paid Member
yes, 62.5% isn bad
triode is interresting but only at high enough voltages at the anode, and high drivevoltages are needed, but you can get some serious power and it would be much more linear than a 6C33 for instance (wich is totally horrible), horrible also in respect to driving it

Joined 2006
Paid Member
btw, look up a YL1370 or some other of this family, americans have equivalents like 6146, be supriced what you can get from that lill tube, up to 150W and at a efficience that is hard to beat,
without gridcurrent things aren so outstandin but 124W is still good, and also as a triode looks nice with 22W output and only 2x9W platedissipation it should last for ages

gorgon53 said:
yes, 62.5% isn bad
triode is interresting but only at high enough voltages at the anode, and high drivevoltages are needed, but you can get some serious power and it would be much more linear than a 6C33 for instance (wich is totally horrible), horrible also in respect to driving it

6C33C was designed for power supply regulators, without any linearity in mind. The story is, Japanese DIY-ers rediscovered tubes when Soviet pilot betrieved, stole a MIG-25 jetfighter, and landed in Japan. A first, they were surprised how fast, reliable, and accurate may be analog computers, and second, they discovered how well may be used vacuum tubes that they believed retired completely. Some Japanese enterprener ordered in Russia a big party of 6C33C triodes and advertized them very well. That's why they are so expensive... But usage of them for audio is a big mistake...

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Yes, sand blinded the eyes of quite a few for much to long time...
After I stranded in Finland I worked with industrial heating equippement in the power-range of 2kW-200kW, frequencies is mostly 27MHz. Only tubes, mainly watercooled are used.

Ppl often asked me, arent tubes outdated? why dont you use semiconductors?

I asked them: how in the world can you think a SEMI-conductor could be better than a SOLID conductor and a vaccuum?''

A big transmitter-triode, pushing out 200kW into the most horribly load, having nothing else than some cruedely made cut-outs as safetydevice is realy something semiconductors would be even remotly able to replace.

Besides, it is also a question of impedans, big power need high current AND high voltage...

Maybe this can be of some help:
GU50
It's the pages from a book "Lampovij Hi-Fi usilitel svoimi rykami" (Tube HiFi amps with your own hands) describing the GU50. There were some triode curves there.

I have just assembled a GU50 Se-amp to this schematic EC52_GU50 but have problems "dehumming" it. I installed a potentiometer instead of the 100K resistor and runs it directly from my CD-player but it sounds distorted and I suspect the transformers - maybe underrated, and yet I have tried two different pairs.
I used one layout from Jogis Roehrenbude and before I noticed that the "collar" has to be there to get the tubes correctly connected I managed to kill 4 GU50 - 6550 is another good tube ....;)

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi Soundbrigade

Thanks for the Info on GU50.
Dead Tubes, distortion, hum ...it all points to some serious probs with your amplifier, dont think that the transformer is responsible...check and recheck your amplifier if everything is connected the way it should be, next thing to check is to check foe undue oscillation, but before you fire up again put some gridstoppers (carbonresistors, solder s close s possible to g1, higher than 100ohm!) into the circuit. The GU50 g2 resistor is also a bit on the low side, check for highfrequency oscillation. After solving the tubekiller-prob maybe the hum is gone, otherwise use a hum-nulling pot and try if a different positioning of the transformer helps...

I have some ideas .. Well I have added a 1k gridstopper and when I think about it, the 829 and 832 are very eager to oscillate and a 100R carbon resistor with some copperwire around it from the anode pins is recommended.

The first amp with GU50 I built was successful though I didn't notice until it was to late that when removing the "metal collar" from the socket, the tubes can be mounted in several ways and by accident, I got the first tube right but then everything went totally wrong.

I will also make a different input/driver (6SJ7) if nothing else works.

OT: This was one of my very first postings so a short introduction. I am a Swede hooked on tube amps. I have a 6550SE monoblock (the ex-GU50), a 50CA10SE, a Darling, a 6BM8-STC and a much modified Priboi apart from a pair of 6x6L6 "circlotron" monoblocks.
My stuff will eventuelly end up here

I will post info how this project goes.

OT: This was one of my very first postings so a short introduction. I am a Swede hooked on tube amps. I have a 6550SE monoblock (the ex-GU50), a 50CA10SE, a Darling, a 6BM8-STC and a much modified Priboi apart from a pair of 6x6L6 "circlotron" monoblocks.
My stuff will eventuelly end up here

I will post info how this project goes. [/B]

Thank you!

I've found on your site a link on schemztic from Russian Radio magazine about modification of UM-50 amplifier that includes replacing 807 by GU50 tubes. What is interesting, screen grid voltage is 325v!

http://www.fonar.com.pl/audio/schematy/r_radio/skany/1963_08_1.jpg

To Zen Mod:
You are from where? Is that a Russian flag?? I have the original article from Audio Magazin (SPb) if you want the description in Russian.

Wavebourn - didn't really understand. You mean that the screen grid voltage are higher or lower than anode voltage? Read in AudioXpress about pushing crafty tubes like 6L6 and 807 to give higher Pout by lifting the screen grid some 80 Volts above the anode. BUT only those tubes could take that.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.