GRS 8FR-8 driver mods/cab recommendations

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Dave,
It occurred to me this might be an issue (plug center/orientation) and perhaps other magnetic ill effects on the voice coil ? I have not attatched the washers yet. So......3 screws it is.
As far as my cone treatment do you foresee any issues? As stated above the rear of cone treated, front of cone treated only on outer rib to surround and area directly behind the whizzer ( I do intend on reattatching them). I also only treated the outer bell/lip front & rear on the whizzer cone.
I just wanted a two- tone look for aesthetic reasons. Front or rear treatment is there an audible difference?The jury is still out on if I will attempt your pattern.....not because I have doubts on your method (acrylic paint?) but simply because of my 53 yr old unsteady hands. Lol
Any suggestions on this matter (puzzlecoat) or any other would be appreciated.

I have been preoccupied with the unfortunate rigors of life. Lol
As to the drivers I did complete my goals. Treatments include: duct seal on inner legs of frame and front plate/magnet structure then wrapped with felt. 1 coat of Hodgepodge cone/whizzer with second coat on outercone near the surround and on the whizzer's outward perimeter. Removed dust cap, added pvc " phase plug".
As to the cabs? Lol. Yeah, yeah was given another 3/4 sheet of partical board ( same 3/4" ). What do you do with "extra" material? Why do something silly with it of course.

Yes...a BLH based on a cab for a Fostex 206en but smaller. 36.5h x11.5w x 16d ( extrrnal )

Attachments

• 20190126_165010.jpg
    20190126_165010.jpg
    834 KB · Views: 174
  • 20190126_161641.jpg
    20190126_161641.jpg
    945.6 KB · Views: 165
Overall the drivers response is smoother, more open, and not as bright/brittle/harsh to my ears. Less fatiguing. They don't seem to have lost any high frequencies either, although not empirical ( no test equip ).
Sarah McLachlan's Surfacing, Tracy Chapman's self titled, Eagles Hell Freezes Over, Clapton's Unplugged they do fairly well although with heavier busy rock tracks tthehr drivers seem/sound "confused", perhaps too much info for them to decipher.
The cabs are obviously not suited for these drivers ( I just they looked " cool". Lol. A hollow ringing from the mouth.

So I added some open cell foam to the back wall and the top underside of mouth. Slight improvement. Then added a partition/baffle to the front. Bass seemed to have tighten up w/less ringing. Again only my ears

Attachments

• 20190126_162120.jpg
    20190126_162120.jpg
    981.7 KB · Views: 140
I do plan on building proper cabs as per suggestions fairly soon ( prob sealed ), I'm sure the overall sound will improve. I just liked the look and had a morbid curiosity on building those blh....... even with all 90° cuts, what a p.i.t.a. Never again. Lol. I will keep the cabs,( too much work to just toss out) and perhaps find some better suited drivers with a lower qts down the line.
For now I will keep running them, try different things ( placement, tweeters, sub/ no sub etc.
All in all it has been quite fun so far to try to make $11 drivers sound like $24.99 ones. Ha.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.