Ground loop protection

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
I am building a power supply to power 2 amplifiers and I wanted to build a ground loop protection circuit. The fellow that designed the power supply and amps also has a schematic for a ground loop protection circuit.
But I had a pause when I read this.
Quote:
If a ground loop protection circuit is used, all input and output terminals must be electrically isolated from the chassis. Otherwise, the ground loop protection circuit will be bypassed entirely by the input/output ground wires that connect to the main system ground
EndQuote

Does this mean that no part of the RCA input jacks should be in contact with the chassis ?

The only input or output terminal that I have are the RCA jacks and the speaker terminals.

And now i am confused

And I am embarrassed to be asking such a simple question.

I have a picture of an RCA receptacle that I am using and if I install it as shown, the ground will be in contact with the chassis through that small wire connector thing on the "IN" side.
IN = Inside the chassis

Out = Outside the chassis

So, how to avoid it ? Do I throw it away ?

Attachments

• RCAJack.JPG
    RCAJack.JPG
    64.1 KB · Views: 261
Thank you Mark and now 1 more question before I pick up the soldering iron.

The wiring layout shows the power supply, IN_GND is connected to the tab on the RCA jack and it also goes to a 1nf capacitor which is connected to the chassis.
Does that violate the "All input connectors should be electrically isolated from the
chassis" ?
I see that there is a capacitor in between but I don't know if it helps

Photos, OK, here they come

How about posting some photos. You didn't mention what you are building.
Ok, here are a ton of photos. In no particular order:
Power Supply Schematic
Amplifiers schematic
Ground Loop Protection
Wiring diagram.

Attachments

• PowerSupplySchematic.pdf
    24.1 KB · Views: 97
  • LM3886-Circuit-Schematic-3.png
    LM3886-Circuit-Schematic-3.png
    64.6 KB · Views: 285
  • groundlooptop.png
    groundlooptop.png
    15.2 KB · Views: 286
  • Audio-Amplifier-With-an-LM3886-Master-Wiring-Diagram-4.png
    Audio-Amplifier-With-an-LM3886-Master-Wiring-Diagram-4.png
    129.4 KB · Views: 306
I read the article Scottjoplin pointed me to and at my level of expertise, (hah !), most is beyond me.
But this is what I gleaned re hum and wiring.

1) wrap the 0v, +v, and -v, around each other. I am already doing that so I am good there.

2) locate the signal connectors, for ground and signal, close together and wrap the signal wire around the ground wire.
This I did not do. The 2, signal wires are independent and the 2, signal ground wires are wrapped together.

The picture shows the back of the chassis and it shows the 2 RCA connectors separated by 3.5 inches or 88mm. I put them near the corresponding amplifier and speaker connectors.
Near the top of the picture you can see the power lines red, yellow, and black, wrapped together.

So, I think that I will leave the RCA connectors where they are, and do the signal/ground wrapping solution.

What do you think ?

Attachments

• IMG_0859.JPG.jpg
    IMG_0859.JPG.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 222
Regards the power wires, twisting is better than braiding, but the most important thing is that they are in close proximity so shouldn't matter too much. Yes, leave RCAs where they are, again probably ok, but twist the signal and ground together as you say. The whole idea is to keep flows and their returns (whatever they are) as close as possible and twisting also reduces interference.

Last edited:
Regards the power wires, twisting is better than braiding, but the most important thing is that they are in close proximity so shouldn't matter too much. Yes, leave RCAs where they are, again probably ok, but twist the signal and ground together as you say. The whole idea is to keep flows and their returns (whatever they are) as close as possible and twisting also reduces interference.
Thank you Scott. I redid the wiring yesterday and it made a big difference. I silenced the right channel so much that it is completely silent,:D:D:D.

So what about the speakers, should I do them too ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.