• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

Greenvalve 10y into 801a

Thanks Andy, you're making my life real easy :) I'll build the filament supplies in a separate chassis as you recommended.

Would you have a ballpark schematic on hand for DC cathode bias of the output stage? That's the only building block that's still missing.

Or I can just check it myself and propose a schematic.

I do realize I'm being spoiled :blush:

Happy Trails!

Thanks man!

Cheers
Simon

I've never used the 801A so I leave it to others to recommend. Here's the data from Frank's pages. Note the maximum grid resistor value of 500K in self bias. Stay below that.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 16.27.59.png
    Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 16.27.59.png
    204.8 KB · Views: 282
Joined 2004
Paid Member
For this operating point even the -resistor loaded- 841 gain is too weak (see attached simulation).

If you use active load (CCS or "gyrator" -see Ale Moglia versions-) the 841 VAS stage gain would be greater for full amplification at 2V RMS input.

Attachments

• 841, 10Y CF, 801a 10k SE.jpg
    841, 10Y CF, 801a 10k SE.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 303
Soft start

For extended tube life, I would like to implement soft start wherever I can.

Is this sound?

- Separate switch on Coleman regs (which have a built in slow start IIRC), to be fired up first

- A minute later I'ld switch on SMPS B+, feeding:
> tentlabs negative bias supply on the output tubes (with built in slow start)
> driver tubes, with filament bias as per post 19

Is there a way (or necessity) to apply slow start to the driver tubes as well?

Thanks!
Simon

Do you mean best in sound or measurements (or, imagine: both)?

I can try the ultrapath cap once I've built it, but read that the advantage is mostly to tackle psrr. I would suspect the smps would already take care of that.

But all guessing aside, I could just give it a listen.

Cheers
Simon

Stacked supplies- max voltage

Dont wish to hijack thread, but can people with experience advice max voltage that can be obtained by stacking the 48v switching supplies. I was wondering if 19 could b stacked to obtain approx 900V to power a 813SE amp that I am planning to construct.

I used 12 of them to get +576 and 4 to get -192. Remember not to connect the grounds of the AC inputs together. See post 11.

Opinions are divided about the safety of stacking the units. Mine is that if they are wired correctly, each unit sits in its own bubble and does not 'see' the other units. You may want to look at other forums as well as this one for different opinions.

So if I wanted to build a 1000v supply, I would use stacked units. It would be simpler than dealing with the HV requirements of the chokes and capacitors, most of which are not rated for 1000v. But I don't want to build such a supply. I would be too concerned about the 1000 volts and all the associated safety problems. 600v is my limit.

By the way, I did breadboard an OTL using stacked SMPS units. They worked fine and can deliver a lot of current quite easily.

The reason why I tried the stacked units was that after my triple bypass, I could not lift amps with regular transformers and chokes. The SMPS units are so much lighter.

ray