Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup

So this will complete what I will call my Covi-d Collection. Projects completed during this miserable pandemic which by all accounts looks like it could be the last leg when we get through the peak.
These projects were started just before or just when the Pandemic arrived. ( I got my Denon DL103 at$269 now $479!)
Line Level amp using Neurochrome Universal Buffer driving my Neurochrome Modulus 86.
Then finally my Phono Section using Muffsy MC head Amp. This is simply a textbook App note design based on the LT1115. This is followed by Hagerman Bugle 2. I chose that preamp because it has three op amp sections and I am able to separate each op amp on a circuit board with a ground plane. Before I completed the phono section I ran it on 2 Super Regulators not using line sense...reason...I did not have the longer spacers needed to elevate the other 4 regulators. You'd think with the LM4562s with superb ripple rejection ratios there would be hardly improvement with 4 regulators feeding each op amp. That is where I was pleasantly surprised when I finished. When I placed all regulators and used the line sense lines to tightly regulate the voltages, the preamp was very different. I had thought before this I was hearing the pronounced upper bass fatness of my Linn LP-12 as well as some type of resonance in the tonearm/cartridge combination (DL-103). These issues were all gone when each op amp was super regged individually. I never heard my turntable sound as tight and dynamic. I did not expect it to be this good honestly.
When the time is right, I can bring some of the gear for viewing, hopefully maybe this summer.
With this my Audio projects will take a long nap and when we meet I will offer various things for anyone wanting it ..cables, electrolytics, heat sinks, old amps etc.

Attachments

• Neurochrome UB1.JPG
    Neurochrome UB1.JPG
    469.5 KB · Views: 132
  • MuffsyMC_Bugle2_SuperRegulated.JPG
    MuffsyMC_Bugle2_SuperRegulated.JPG
    584.3 KB · Views: 135
  • Phono System.JPG
    Phono System.JPG
    314.7 KB · Views: 123
Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2005
Paid Member
I am late posting last meets events.

the door prizes went as follows

Bali Vacation - R. Savas
C8 Corvette - Anatech
Muskoka cottage - R. Savas
Wilson Audio XLF - Anatech
25 year old MCallum - R. Savas
$5,000 a week for life - Anatech
DCS digital system - R Savas
toaster oven - Anatech

Crap I got stuff I do not even know what to use it for, is it audio related? :)
Looks like I need a passport as well.
I know we gave birth to a BC-1 recently, it makes music straight away and replaces the DH-200C as the new lab amp.
Happy New Year to all, hope we get to meet again 2022.
Anatech, manage to make use of that oven?, I will be making some new smt designs that you can use in that oven. If not do you want to trade me for that oven, the cottage is nice :)

Attachments

• IMG_0795.JPG
    IMG_0795.JPG
    481.9 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0794.JPG
    IMG_0794.JPG
    528.8 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0736.JPG
    IMG_0736.JPG
    473.1 KB · Views: 127
Finished speakers ... at last!

Finished and playing.
My take on the Lampizator P17 concept finally plays. It sounds great.
I always wanted to try open baffle. Assembled the parts over past few years but never got around to the actual build.
These are three way open baffle. Below 120 Hz is handled by 18" pro drivers (Peavey Black Widow in U shaped OB. Everything above 120 is handled by vintage 10" Coral coax drives with alnico magnets. My innovation was to mount the Corals in their own 12" baffle that sits on the bass box. This gives small baffle width and the ability to move them front to back to align timing of the Corals with the sub woofer.
First order crossover uses Solen caps and Solen Hepta Litz inductors.
The front baffle is 1.5" Walnut butcher block. It was finished with 5 coats of Tung oil and lots of sanding. It is pretty nice to the touch. The bass cabs are made of Russian birch ply mated with MDF to make 1" thick walls and 1.5" base. These things are heavy, so they are on wheels.
Very happy with first audition. I had a good idea of the sound as I had listened to the driver with cardboard baffles for far too long. In the new cabinets the big change is the bass. It is effortless and pretty massive. They play down to 40Hz which is not bad for OB with OTL amps and passive crossovers. if anything I suspect I'll need room treatment to tame the bass.
It has been a while since I built my speakers. As always lots of tinkering over time, so perhaps an update. They are now sounding great to my humble ear. Some tweaks to the crossover dialed them in. Something that worked out really well was mounting the upper dipole on their own baffle that can be moved around independent of the bass unit. Moving front to back to time align does help sound stage definition. But today I discovered a new twist after reading about Linkwitz Labs LX521. https://www.linkwitzlab.com/LX521/Description.htm Their mids/hi baffle is also separate. They point out that if your speaker is anywhere near a side wall, then orient the upper baffle to point to the first reflection point. A dipole has no energy broadcast out to the side. By pointing the side at the first reflection point the room effect is taken out of the equation. I tried this simple change and it was like a new speaker system. Much cleaner image, strong center channel and just better. Such a simple change.

Hello folks,

I have completed the BC-1 prototype amp and it has been running for a few weeks now.
Hafler DH-200C gets shut down after a good few year run. It needs the RCA jacks upgraded anyways +++
Some pics of a working BC-1 for you to gaze at.
the one pic is of the AC inlet, switch, soft-start/relay, filtering pcb which was the last one to be designed and tested to complete the pcb set of 8, 7 different types. Bob C. specified mirror imaged pcbs for the AFE(front-end) & OPS(output)
What I really would like is someone to evaluate it. But in reality it is a solid 150W/ch amp, clean sound, nothing new :) Quiet as a mouse.
Its basically ready for distribution, imo, Bob is still working on his unit, so until he says its a go, its on hold. but i think we could use a beta builder/ tester, parts are a big PITA these days, you have to research and be creative.
I also added up the costs = ouch
Looked at what is out in the market as a comparison, interesting discussion

Enjoy
Rick

Attachments

• IMG_0835.JPG
    IMG_0835.JPG
    287.9 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_0842.JPG
    IMG_0842.JPG
    366.3 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0844.JPG