Greater Toronto Area DIY meetup

Sounds better all the time!

How about getting a playlist going?

That way we can familiarize ourselves with the new "test" tunes and replay the old ones to get reacquainted. It will give us a better handle on all the gear.

Good ol' DDD classic; the low-compression Brothers in Arms by Dire Straights: Your Latest Trick (always liked the sax-a-ma-phone intro!)

Cheers,
Jeff

PS Just quote this post and we'll start a list ...

Joined 2005
Paid Member
I’m bringing a USB drive and a few disks.
The drive contains the entire Beatles, Doors, Eagles, Dylan, Bruce Cockburn, America catalogues., ( yes every album).
It also has The first 5 Led Zepplin alblums, Who’s next , Santana Abraxas, Stevie Ray Vaughn, Jethro Tull, Neil Young, Joni Mitchell - 150 classic rock alblums all HD high bit rate downloads that everyone is free to use.
Whatever anyone else has and chooses to demo with is up to them.

I’m staying out of the equipment and tune selection for the Diy portion - you gentlemen can run it while I check the coffee pot and doughnut consumption.

For those who want to stay at the end I’ll run the 4 big monitors with some classic stuff

Last edited:
Joined 2005
Paid Member
OK, lots of interest so far, over 40 requests for directions
Not sure whose bringing what.
Starts at 10 am
Theres a dac, passive preamp, Oppo cd/dvd transport USB drive reader, 100w/ch Class A power amp, and speakers on site. You can use whichever of them you want to for your part of the presentation.

It’s an industrial shop - no carpets, no room treatments, and listening area has an 18 foot ceiling so not like someones home- hopefully its useful as a demo location.
End of the afternoon if there is interest we’ll run the big JBLs for a while.

Hi rsavas,
I live in part in Toronto and here I find only the francophone CJBC 90.3 MHz which is not compressed, the rest is. While a decent non compressed station is a pleasure to listen to, the rest here is a pain, and sadly that includes the CBC on 94.1 MHz. This is very upsetting to me. The tuners I have left (numerous ones I have sold) the ones I find being special ,not overly expensive and close to my heart. We can gladly test them when you wish.
Maybe I can bring one to show to the meeting, together one of my choke loaded SE hybrid amps.
Miklos

Same experience here - I can get the French channel in KW and it's really good. But everything else is pure crap. Given the concerns about the demise of FM it seems to me that the radio stations are no longer deserving of any sympathy - they are killing themselves. I've sold most of my tuners too. I've been itching to build an all-tube FM tuner based on some published designs I rather like but I wonder if it's worth it. Anyhow, things always change, just have to find the best of what we can. Unfortunately, I have nothing in a finished state so I'll pass on the meet until next time.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Gareth,
Nope. You haven't seen my bench lately. :D

The tuner went upstairs. I've always wanted one since I did warranty work on them. Beautifully engineered, and one of the best tuners money can buy. I'd also like a Marantz 2130, but not at those prices. The 2130 would go with my system (3650 and 300DC). Nothing can touch the performance of Revox tuners though.

I have a Magnum Dynalab here. The owner wants me to make it sound good. It's a standard varactor tuned front end with a questionable audio section. Should be an interesting job. A bit involved.

-Chris

The MD's are pretty good sounding. I didn't want to touch mine as I had it new and wanted to be able to re-sell as original one day. But it was quite obvious there was a simple upgrade option to be made to the output capacitors (jeez, there was space marked out on the pcb for the factory to upgrade it for you), IIRC MD have some of the mods as upgrades on their website.

I got myself a Marantz 1530. There's an awful lot that can be upgraded there too - especially the power amp.

I looked up that Revox - some serious engineering in there, the MD and Marantz are nothing in that league.

It's a shame we're in different towns - would love to see your upgraded basement set sometime.

Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Gareth,
There will be opportunities for that. You're always welcome you know. That and I was able to get in on the RTX 6001 buy, so I have one on the bench now.

I even picked up an HP 5372A, a device that measures the stability of clocks. Any frequency below 500 MHz. So now claims of stable clocks for CD players and DACs can't hide from me at all. I can also improve things like a power supply to see if there was an improvement in clocks stability.

-Chris

Do we have agreement for April 14?

I will be driving from Grimsby - happy to car pool if anyone from Niagara / Hamilton / Burlington is willing to join me.

I can bring my KT88 PP monoblocks, ODAC and a couple of commercial DACS + my Mac Mini + audirvarna as a music source. Also some test gear if needed.

So it seems that we tentatively have the following on offer... let me know if I have missed anything

JBL munsters
LS3/5A

TPA3116 PBLT amp with linear regulated supply and preamp
KT88 PP
Krell Monoblocks
MBL Preamp
TI Chipamp

ODAC
IFi DSD DAC

MAC Mini + monitor
RCA Interconnects
Speaker cable

Looks like we could do with a reference preamp - any offers?

Theres a very small kitchenette with a small fridge, microwave, new kettle, coffee grinder and brewing pot.
There’s 20 varities of tea. 3 or 4 coffees, fresh miik, sugar, brown sugar, and honey.
There will be cookies, samosas, doughnuts, and asian dry noodle soup bowls
There’s disposable cups, glasses, and plates. Beer in the fridge.
There’s 10 or 12 chairs.

Originally Posted by miklos View Post
Hi rsavas,
I live in part in Toronto and here I find only the francophone CJBC 90.3 MHz which is not compressed, the rest is. While a decent non compressed station is a pleasure to listen to, the rest here is a pain, and sadly that includes the CBC on 94.1 MHz. This is very upsetting to me. The tuners I have left (numerous ones I have sold) the ones I find being special ,not overly expensive and close to my heart. We can gladly test them when you wish.
Maybe I can bring one to show to the meeting, together one of my choke loaded SE hybrid amps.
Miklos

Same experience here - I can get the French channel in KW and it's really good. But everything else is pure crap. Given the concerns about the demise of FM it seems to me that the radio stations are no longer deserving of any sympathy - they are killing themselves. I've sold most of my tuners too. I've been itching to build an all-tube FM tuner based on some published designs I rather like but I wonder if it's worth it. Anyhow, things always change, just have to find the best of what we can. Unfortunately, I have nothing in a finished state so I'll pass on the meet until next time.

Hi Bigun,
And I recently bought a nice Revox B-261. Most tuners are out of alignment these days. Some worse than others. So I do a fair amount of alignment work. FM sounds much better with a decent antenna and an aligned tuner.

-Chris

Damn nat
Now I hafta make a radiorig

Cheers,
Jeff