Great Waveguide List

More waveguide shootouts

Sometimes ago we did the follow-up of Waveguide shootout in Melbourne:
Red Spade Audio: Waveguide shootout

and part II:
Red Spade Audio: Waveguide GTG #2

We even had a waveguide-loaded plasma tweeter from Acapella!

Xlqxo.jpg

The best measured results were:

D220Ti + Pyle/JBL clone wg
Also known as "Econowave"

D220Ti + Dayton 10" wg

B&C DE250 + Pyle/JBL clone wg
This was the most impressive and subjectively sounded best. I have now ordered the compression driver and will post a long-term listening test.

DJ6cF.png

Plastic bolt-to-screw adapter is required to mount the DE250

31Tan.jpg

On other note, I experimented with foam plugs. And while it smoothens the mid-high there is noticable loss of high frequency resolution. No foam is better sounding overall for my preference.

odWmA.jpg

On other note, I experimented with foam plugs. And while it smoothens the mid-high there is noticable loss of high frequency resolution. No foam is better sounding overall for my preference.

And when you used the foam, did you re-EQ the device to be the same frequency response as without the foam? Because, if not, then of course you will loose HFs. The waveguide must be EQ'd for the foam in place, otherwise its not a realistic comparison.

And when you used the foam, did you re-EQ the device to be the same frequency response as without the foam? Because, if not, then of course you will loose HFs. The waveguide must be EQ'd for the foam in place, otherwise its not a realistic comparison.

Exactly. it's akin to buying a loudspeaker, and then swapping out with a less sensitive tweeter. At that point it's a whole new ball game and an optimized crossover is a given.

Resolution is about the time and frequency domain response, and yes the foam is altering both. the time domain effect of the foam is a good thing and the frequency domain is a side effect which can be corrected.

You wouldn't compare a speaker and its open baffle counterpart without the appropriate crossover mods right?

Last edited:
Here's some homemade guides I made (actually made three sets of two, varying the roundovers). There's a thread over on AVS (Tell me how nice my new home-made waveguides look - Page 3 - AVS Forum) talking about them (and some arguing about other waveguides as usual of course).
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Here are the horizontal measurements for the latest (using 4.2" radius roundovers):
WGHHoriz.png

Don't have plots of verticals on these, but should look something like this (of previous try):
Vert.png

I hope to get some foam from Earl to use in these, though may have to cut it myself (Earl, would you be up for selling me just a block of the foam?)
P1010014fix.jpg

(last picture was from try#2, after painting)

Last edited:
HTML:

Yes, of course the frequency response were made to match.

Paul (that gtg host) observed and measured the same thing with his system. Except that he got used to the effect and liked it, while I did not.

Yorkville Unity horn

We measured the Yorkville Unity horn at recent GTG.

Proud owner

SpolarGTGimg001.jpg

Directivity, normalised:
37bZ6.png

Frequency plots, 0-90deg, 10deg increment, non-normalised:
2qC4a.png

The speakers sounded awesome. It's a celebrity ! So heavy it took 3 people to lift them to the measurement rig.

bJXXP.jpg