Great Waveguide List

I just bought these components and hope it sounds good. Thanks to all the contributors to this post! At least I'm not going in totally blind. Haven't built a 2-way in over 20 years. Hope I don’t have to fart around with the crossover too much. Crossing over to a 12” Dayton PA310-8. I bought an L-pad too.

Dayton H6512
Dayton DT250P-8 1" Polyimide Compression Horn Driver
Eminence 1,600 x over

Dayton Audio DT250P-8 1" Polyimide Compression Horn Driver 1-3/8"-18 TPI 8 Ohm

Dayton Audio H6512 6-1/2" x 12" Waveguide 1-3/8"- 18 TPI

Eminence PXB2:1K6 2-Way Speaker Crossover Board 1,600 Hz

I just bought these components and hope it sounds good. Thanks to all the contributors to this post! At least I'm not going in totally blind. Haven't built a 2-way in over 20 years. Hope I don’t have to fart around with the crossover too much. Crossing over to a 12” Dayton PA310-8. I bought an L-pad too.

I'm surprised you didn't go with one of the Zilch builds Flex Your PCD Mettle: - Techtalk Speaker Building, Audio, Video Discussion Forum

I just built a Nelson Pass OB with the Pyle PH612 / Selenium D220Ti over an Emi Alpha 8 over an Emi Delta 15LFA. I used the generic Jackgiff crossover which works pretty well.

I have a pair of the QSC waveguides from this list, the ones that are circular. They look like this:

s-l500.jpg

They're 10" in diameter and they look like this. The throat is one inch. Coverage is about 120 degrees.

I've tried to sell them a couple times on eBay with no luck. If anyone wants them, make me an offer on my PM. It would be a shame to throw them away. Shipping is about $20 and you can pick them up from me in person in San Diego.

If no one takes them by Sunday, I'll toss 'em

No problem at all! The thing is that using 875 Or 1250 crossover point, there is such a big difference in how the system sounds overall (better at 875), I am really surprised.
I had DE250 in different horns but this H100 integrates really good in my 5/5 meters room.

Later edit: just measured 0 - 90 degreez horizontal in 15degree steps (by eye..) at 50cm from H100 mouth.

DE250-H100-0-90-horizontal — imgbb.com

Last edited:
Can anyone suggest a waveguide/horn for my use?

My room is 3m wide, 5m long and due to furniture / WAF etc I'm probably not able to use a great deal of toe-in. Because of this I assume I'd be better with a narrower eg 60 degree waveguide.

Drivers are 12" midrange (Faital 12FH520), 1" compression driver (Faital HF108R).
I had been looking at the Faital LTH102 but concerned about the lack of constant directivity.

Thanks!

Thank you Carl - I had been looking at the SEOS-10 and SEOS-12 but availability seems to be a mystery at the moment.

If you send Erich Heinrich an email he will take care of you. In my experience he is sometimes slow to respond but that is because he stretches himself too thin. He works way too hard, is a perfectionist and deserves our patience.

Erich can be reached at 'avalawn@eos.com'

The fiberglass SEOS waveguides are a worthy option as well. SEOS-12 - Horns by Auto-Tech

I have a pair of the QSC waveguides from this list, the ones that are circular. They look like this:

s-l500.jpg

They're 10" in diameter and they look like this. The throat is one inch. Coverage is about 120 degrees.

I've tried to sell them a couple times on eBay with no luck. If anyone wants them, make me an offer on my PM. It would be a shame to throw them away. Shipping is about $20 and you can pick them up from me in person in San Diego.

If no one takes them by Sunday, I'll toss 'em

lwYIOem.png

Here's the response of these QSC waveguides when used with an SB Acoustics SB19T tweeter. Really spectactular performance IMHO, as good as I've seen. Sounds nice too :)

The curves are at 0, 11, 22, 33, and 44 degrees. Measured at two meters. 12th octave smoothing has been applied. I used EQ to flatten out the response, and I've included the EQ curve (very mild.)

Wow, those *are* great curves

I love tinkering with various waveguide shapes because it's fun, but I just can't get around the fact that oblate spheroidal works ridiculously well.

StraightonHero_John.jpg

When Charles Sprinkle left JBL to work for Kali Audio, I found it interesting that he went for an OS waveguide in his new speakers, despite being the designerof JBL's "image control waveguide" geometry. One possibility was that he didn't want to infringe on JBL, but another is that oblate spheroidal just works better.

x8c3OXH.png

Here's my measurement of the LP6. It's not as epic as the QSC. But I think that's largely because Sprinkle opted for a 1" tweeter and his waveguide is less than half the size. There probably isn't a huge market for $150 speakers with a 10" waveguide lol.

EDIT : I should probably say "oblate spheroidal-ish." The QSC is very very close to OS, but the LP6 doesn't have the prominent roundover at the mouth that's a hallmark of OS waveguides.

Last edited:
(huge picture deleted, scroll up, you can't miss it)

Here's the response of these QSC waveguides when used with an SB Acoustics SB19T tweeter. Really spectactular performance IMHO, as good as I've seen. Sounds nice too :)

The curves are at 0, 11, 22, 33, and 44 degrees. Measured at two meters. 12th octave smoothing has been applied. I used EQ to flatten out the response, and I've included the EQ curve (very mild.)

Maybe it's me, but those curves look like the polar response might match a dipole midrange quite well.