Goodmans Dimension 8 Speakers.

IMG_20181206_203201.jpg

IMG_20181206_203217.jpg

Better look at the crossover now they are out, seems the bass drivers and in series and parallel to make 4 ohm. Then the mids and tweets in parallel to also make 4ohm.

Each bass driver is 4 ohm while the mids and tweeters are 8ohm.

IMG_20181207_144836.jpg

Using supplied cotten bud end tooth picks to lift and locate weak areas on surround, then I use a syringe filled with glue to force the glue into the area. Works really well.

IMG_20181207_153209.jpg

IMG_20181207_153220.jpg

Stripping boxes down, the bottom base could be better, thinking im just going to get these remade in thicker MDF and attach speaker spikes instead.

The old speaker connector have to go, warped and just allows air to leak from them.

IMG_20181208_085623.jpg

IMG_20181208_085657.jpg

IMG_20181208_085633.jpg

Comparing drivers, the goodmans is a cast chassis a real heavy weight, where as the dayton is pressed steel, light and cheap.

IMG_20181208_085851.jpg

IMG_20181208_085902.jpg

Enclosure for midrange and tweeter. Front panel is metal where as the enclosure is plastic, a foam ring acts as speaker wadding.

The plastic itself is thin and flexible, here I will use sound deadening material so it's more dense and less of a hollow feeling, think I may also pack it proper wadding instead of the foam ring.

Last edited:
I understand that the Dayton DATS V2 is a speaker measurement system, but where do the Dayton drivers come in? I presume you are just picturing them for comparison purposes?

Replacing the tired, old foam rings (gaskets) is a good idea, as is damping the walls of the plastic enclosure. Dedshete self-adhesive bitumen damping panels would be good for the latter purpose and foam sealing tape for the former.

Dedshete Panel Standard

Gasket Sealing Strip

Would still like to know which glue you used on the speaker surrounds.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics! Following with interest. :)

The Tannoy glue looks good. For reference, I've used 'Anita's Tacky PVA Glue' with good results.

Anita's Tacky PVA Glue

I suggest damping the vibrations of the plastic midrange enclosure by applying strips of Dedshete to the outside of the enclosure.

I presume the mid enclosure contained absorbent material - was it the foam you mentioned earlier?

IMG_20181206_103127.jpg

Look at that gap!

IMG_20181206_153845.jpg

Used a scalpel to remove as much of the old glue as possible, then used a syringe to squeeze the glue in, spread it evenly. I then 3d printer a plastic ring to go over the surround and used clips to spread the load and not damage the outer surround area.

Thanks for the pics! Following with interest. :)

I suggest damping the vibrations of the plastic midrange enclosure by applying strips of Dedshete to the outside of the enclosure.

That was my plan, i have this stuff on hand:

Silent Coat 2mm 30 Sheets Pack Car Van Deadening Sound Proofing Damping Mat 702795788247 | eBay

I presume the mid enclosure contained absorbent material - was it the foam you mentioned earlier?

Yes it was a foam ring which fits over the midrange, i will just remove it and fill the midrange bath shape case with some acoustic wool type material

Yes it was a foam ring which fits over the midrange. . .
There's a possibility that the closely coupled foam ring is intended to damp the vibration of the midrange cone rather than to act like sound absorbent.

Such damping can be used to lower the Q of a driver and allow it to be used in a smaller enclosure.

Some experimentation should reveal whether or not this applies in your case.

Thanks Charles that is a really good find! I actually have lots of wool stuffing from a previous speaker build but i will save that link for future projects, very well priced to!

Just had lots of quotes to have the speaker enclosures resprayed :irked:
looking at £150-£190 per enclosure! A little too expensive so i have decided i am just going to do it myself.

Need to fill, sand and prepare them where they have been damaged then primer. I am actually going to use something called plastidip/plastikote to finish them.

Ordered new speaker cables, stainless steel hex socket cap bolts and screws and some lovely ebony speaker spikes, should have these done before xmas to play some tunnnnesssss!