Good opamps.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Well, I've built my opamp based pre-amp and tried out the OPA2134PA, OPA2604AP, OPA2132P, LM6172 opamps and am sticking with the OPA2132P for now (using a socket, and apparently the LM6172's don't like sockets). I don't need many of them so I just go with free samples and was wondering if there are any other good opamps worth mentioning which would do better then the OPA2132P? I'm using dual's so the AD825, AD845 and OA627 are unfortunately not possible.

EDIT: Wow, I decided to slap in the LM6172 in the socket and it apparently doesn't have any rpoblems with it at all, sounds very nice. I heard there was a new improved version of this? Anyone know what it is and if it's available in a dual opamp?

Thanks, just wanting to know if I left any out. I knew about the LM7171, but it's only available in singles and doesn't seem to have any improvements, as well as people not really liking it, so... I guess I'll stick with my LM6172, they sound nice to me anyways, and I guess that's all that counts.

yeah, the chips are supposed to be very good.
i have a few but the PCB´s i designed with it never seemed to work properly. all circuits ended up as a kinda radio station.lol
i actually like opa134,2134 more cause they´re less sensitive and they sound really good.
BTW:ever tried a opamp based power amplifier? for example rod elliot´s design?
i´m really interested to build one of those but don´t know if it´s worth it.

Well, I'm just about finished my opamp based power-amp based on Rod Elliots LM3875 project. I'm using the LM3886T, five of them for five channels. I've finished off the amp-modules/heatsinks and chasis. I'm just waiting for my transformers for my power suply. Some people consider them "audiophile quality" and others don't. I'll let you know how it goes.

Many people on the headwize forums have said that the use of LM6172's in sockets would cause them to oscilate very easily. Although when I tried it in my socket after I made the post and it worked perfectly fine as well, I don't know why they thought so though...

joebob, i actually meant an opamp like opa134 followed by discrete stage just like rod elliot´s project.
i built a power amplifier with an lm3886TF (my first) and was amazed by the good sound.
i think you´ll be happy with it.
i just have to add an input selector and will use that for my hifi setup.

TJ

The OPA2134, like most of the op-amps mentioned in this thread, is a high quality device - much better than devices used in much of the recording equipment CD's are produced with. Distinctly noticeable HF problems will be due to your circuit or some other factor, and almost certainly not your opamp.

Jamie

Somebody in another thread mentioned the AD8610. Took a look at the datasheet; it does look impressive, especially the specific comparsions to the OPA627, long heralded as one of the best you could get.

Unfortunately, another DIY pain in the butt - surface mount only (like the AD825)

mlloyd1

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.