Global Warming/Climate Change hoax

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, wow. I thought it was possible to discuss environmental issues without reverting to classic fighting in political and religious trenches.
It was interesting for a while, but the point got lost somewhere.
Sadly in this world, when money is involved, politics cannot stay at bay, especially when the amount is large. Larger it is, more they get involved.

Oh, wow. I thought it was possible to discuss environmental issues without reverting to classic fighting in political and religious trenches.
It was interesting for a while, but the point got lost somewhere.
Errr, the clue as to why it went tits up is in the title and opening post. Doesn't mean some of us can't have a useful chat even if it's not on the OP's agenda.

Do you like beer? I do and so do many adults in USA. It's the most popular adult beverage in this country. Why is that the case? Well, when the northern Europeans came here centuries ago, they brought their appreciation for beer with them and so it went on. Way back when the ancient Romans spread to northern Europe, they brought their appreciation for wine with them and the grapes were grown there to produce wine. That is until the weather turned cooler to a point where the grapes cannot survive in northern Europe. People in that region still wanted to catch buzz so they turned towards beer which is made from grain crop which can grow in cooler temperature than grapes. So it went on and when some of them decided to move to America, so did beer.

Long before industrial revolution and long before automobile, there were global warming and cooling so don't blame cars or industry for it.

Sadly in this world, when money is involved, politics cannot stay at bay, especially when the amount is large. Larger it is, more they get involved.

Save for a few socially oriented opinions here and there, the modern definition of politics is the control of monetary spending/(non)spending. That is not a political statement, it's an academic fact. And btw, modern research academia has become so monetized, that research itself is based/nuanced on its ability to garner funding. There's a term... "publish or perish". Theoretically, academia performing its own capitalism, in a way. We're human after all, even when sheltered within institutionalized virtuosity.

I am amazed that people think that climate scientists go into the field because they want to make a lot of money. Rather than go into something public-welfare oriented like, say, the petroleum industry.

How many billionaire or millionaire climate scientists are you aware of, honestly? Is that what materialistically inclined young people are drawn to do nowadays or in the past century -- to study climate science??!?

How much public funding goes into climate science compared to (in the US at least) into oil company government subsidies?
bwaslo, here you go.
Save for a few socially oriented opinions here and there, the modern definition of politics is the control of monetary spending/(non)spending. That is not a political statement, it's an academic fact. And btw, modern research academia has become so monetized, that research itself is based/nuanced on its ability to garner funding. There's a term... "publish or perish". Theoretically, academia performing its own capitalism, in a way. We're human after all, even when sheltered within institutionalized virtuosity.

This is so painful. So your factual definition of politics, can you provide a citation? Because I can't find a dictionary or online reference that agrees with your "facts".
Publish or perish does not trump science. No easier way to lose your funding for research than being shown unethical or just plain wrong by another researcher.

This is so painful. So your factual definition of politics, can you provide a citation? Because I can't find a dictionary or online reference that agrees with your "facts".
Publish or perish does not trump science. No easier way to lose your funding for research than being shown unethical or just plain wrong by another researcher.

it's only wrong when your peers disagree. What happens when your peers feel as religious about the subject/interpretations as yourself?, rhetorically stated. I really don't have a dog in the fight, just relaying my observation that conflicts of interest are capable of existing within the institutions that people have historically trusted as being politically benign.

Last edited:
it's only wrong when your peers disagree. What happens when your peers feel as religious about the subject/interpretations as yourself?, rhetorically stated. I really don't have a dog in the fight, just relaying my observation that conflicts as interest are capable of existing within the institutions that people have historically trusted as being benign.

So 97% of the world's climate scientists are "in" on this deal? Not one will break ranks and ensure they become the next Galileo with a weekend worth of work?

At some point I have to ask myself who in this thread is not too bright and who's a demagogue.

wasn't this 97% figure addressed within an article linked just a few pages ago? If true, that figure is beyond dubious. It would thus become selective statistics, which I know nothing about, but certain there is some ethos regarding how to collect/report such things, even (especially) within academia.

wasn't this 97% figure addressed within an article linked just a few pages ago? If true, that figure is beyond dubious. It would thus become selective statistics, which I know nothing about, but certain there is some ethos regarding how to collect/report such things, even (especially) within academia.

The 97% is not dubious, I provided a link earlier on showing that.

But even that is a ridiculous point. Can't it be more obvious that the climate change proponents keep pointing to data, data, and more data, and the climate change skeptics can't argue the data, so they argue conspiracy, ad hominem, manipulation, etc. What the @#$& could Al Gore being rich have to do with millions of data points?

I dunno man... I collect data for a living. We can make it look however we want. Sorry to pull the curtain away. Everyone here is an agenda-based human attempting to make a living. I think what complicates the world-view is that some people seem to save their endeavors for a new religion. I know these types of people, went to school with them. Thesis anchored, idealistic, worried, motivated, hungry for tenure.

I agree about money speaking and data being collected to support what the employer wants.
In the last few weeks an absolutely outrageous claim was made about global warming.
I am pretty sure the data collectors were sent to the north pole with a soft hulled research vessel possibly with instructions not to use too much fuel so that they could only collect the data from locations where local ice melt had taken place caused by the solar wind attracted by magnetic pole movement.
The readings obviously came in high as a result of this.

It seems to be there are two separate things related to this (and perhaps some other topics that involve science) that I've always seen conflated.

Considering it's a fairly non-controversial, cross party issues in most countries in the world, no, I wouldn't say it's a political position.
A scientific finding that if you dump so much of some substance into the atmosphere then such-and-such ls likely to happen is NOT a political position. It's just a scientific finding.

Telling others (groups of people or countries) what they (or "we") should do (whether based on a scientific finding or not) IS a political position.

Hoping this post doesn't unfairly burden Cal.

The 97% is not dubious, I provided a link earlier on showing that.
You mean a link to dubious site?

But even that is a ridiculous point. Can't it be more obvious that the climate change proponents keep pointing to data, data, and more data, and the climate change skeptics can't argue the data, so they argue conspiracy, ad hominem, manipulation, etc. What the @#$& could Al Gore being rich have to do with millions of data points?
I would consider it convincing if those proponents pointed to real data, data, and more data but what got pointed out was data, dubious data and more dubious data.

Graphs

decadal-with-forcing-small.png

decadal-comparison-small.png

ComparisonDisagreement2017.png

Comparison2017.png

LongtermTrend2017.png

Arctic2017.png

TimeSeries2017.png

LandOcean2017.png

Status
Not open for further replies.