Giga-low profile socket / pinheader?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Giga-low, snicker, snicker ...

What are these? :eek:

giga-low pin header, socket - side.jpg

They're from a CS4329 DAC demo board I have and both the DAC and the 8412 receiver have them.

giga-low pin header, socket - top.jpg

Wouldn't they make great 'sockets' for opamp swapping! They won't undo all your tight PCB work (usual "low" profile sockets are +7mm of extra 'trace' R,L,C etc..) with only an extra +2mm! :eek:

And you could make any size 'socket' you want: 8DIP, 14DIP, narrow, wide, ...!!1!

Where do you get them? :confused:

Cheers,
Jeff

PS I remember seeing some 1543-type DAC with them but they were a bit different (oval at the pcb) and a bit taller.

Last edited:
They're called a pin receptacle, manufacturers like Mil Max make them. Digikey and others stock them.

Be careful, they make thousands of different types, you need to select one to suit your situation. They do work well though, I've used them to make low profile tube sockets (see image).

Attachments

• TTO PCBa.jpg
    TTO PCBa.jpg
    183.2 KB · Views: 76
THANK YOU amc184!!!!

"Pin receptacle" no wonder I couldn't find them!

Connectors, Interconnects | Terminals - PC Pin Receptacles, Socket Connectors | DigiKey

Yikes! That is a lot of options!

Tail Type
Accepts Pin Diameter
Mounting Hole Diameter
Pin Hole Diameter
Tail Diameter
Socket Depth

Looks like I should start with mounting hole diameter ... what is that ~1mm for most PCBs? ...

That gets me down to Pin Whole Diameter of .79mm (that seems too small?!?)

http://www.digikey.com/scripts/dkse...tock=1&pbfree=0&rohs=0&quantity=0&ptm=0&fid=0

Socket depth from 2.1mm to 5.5mm, how much to I need for a reg opamp? Do I want tail or no tail?

Hey amc, you sound like you know what you're talking about ... do you know which would be appropriate for regular solder through-hole for DIP opamps?

Thanks,
Jeff

Last edited:
Which one suits depends heavily on your application, so you'll have to spec them yourself. The type shown in your picture is tailless, tailed ones are pretty much the same as the individual PRs in an IC socket. The main things to watch are:

- Each PR will accept a maximum to minimum pin diameter, make sure the pin diameter of your IC is within that range.
- Each PR will have a hole diameter and an outside diameter. Make sure that the hole diameter plus the width of the pad and clearance will fit within the space available (which will be defined by the pitch you're using it at). Make sure that the outside diameter plus clearance also will fit within the space available.

It should go without saying; these tailless PRs will only fit in a custom designed PCB, they won't fit where an IC or IC socket would.

I'm still not sure what the 'tails' are for/do?

Here's a regular opamp (627)

opamp pin width .38 to .53.png

So the pin part is between .38 to .53 (0.015 to 0.021)

Connectors, Interconnects | Terminals - PC Pin Receptacles, Socket Connectors | DigiKey

When I select Pin Diameter as:

.38 to .53
.38 to .56
.38 to .64

I get down to

Then I set Mounting Hole Diameter to:

And end up with these four:

PR choice.png

2 are solder: ED90583-ND and ED90537-ND and have no tail.

One has a socket depth of only 2.11mm and I need at least 3.18mm for the opamp so that leaves:

http://www.digikey.com/product-detail/en/8579-1-15-01-21-27-10-0/ED90583-ND/2639492

Datasheets Plating Options
8579-1-15-01-21-27-10-0
Product Photos 8579-1-15-01-21-27-10-0
Standard Package 500
Category Connectors, Interconnects
Family Terminals - PC Pin Receptacles, Socket Connectors
Series 8579
Tail Type No Tail
Termination Solder
Length - Overall 0.295" (7.49mm)
Accepts Pin Diameter 0.015" ~ 0.022" (0.38mm ~ 0.56mm)
Mounting Hole Diameter 0.040" (1.02mm)
Pin Hole Diameter 0.031" (0.79mm)
Flange Diameter 0.055" (1.40mm)
Tail Diameter -
Socket Depth 0.195" (4.95mm)
Contact Material Beryllium Copper
Contact Finish Gold
Contact Finish Thickness 30µin (0.76µm)
Packaging Bulk
Features -
Operating Temperature -55°C ~ 125°C
Board Thickness -
Insertion Force -
Dynamic Catalog 8579 Series
Other Names 8579115012127100
ED90583

Are these ok for your generic opamp going on your generic PCB?

Cheers and thanks for the help,
Jeff

Last edited:
It should go without saying; these tailless PRs will only fit in a custom designed PCB, they won't fit where an IC or IC socket would.

No, they're not suitable for a generic PCB. The receptacle you selected looks suitable, but again, you need a PCB designed to fit.

The average PCB will have holes about 0.2mm larger that the component that fits in it. That means the hole for an opamp leg on a generic PCB might be about 0.8mm. The PR you linked to has a diameter of about 1mm, it just ain't gonna fit.

Tailed PRs have a slimmer section below the socket (the tail) to allow it to fit in a smaller hole. One of those will fit, but won't offer any advantages over a normal IC socket.

Tailed on the left, tailless on the right.

Attachments

• tail.gif
    tail.gif
    7.4 KB · Views: 49
  • no tail.gif
    no tail.gif
    14.8 KB · Views: 44
Thanks ,

The average PCB will have holes about 0.2mm larger that the component that fits in it. That means the hole for an opamp leg on a generic PCB might be about 0.8mm

So the pin part is between .38 to .53 (0.015 to 0.021)

When I select Pin Diameter as:

.38 to .53
.38 to .56
.38 to .64

I get down to

Then I set Mounting Hole Diameter to:

Gets me down to 6:

PR choice.png

And the only one with a 0.56mm Mounting Hole Diameter instead of 0.91mm is:

Only PR choice.png

0255-0-15-80-30-84-04-0 Mill-Max Manufacturing Corp. | ED1121-ND | DigiKey

Datasheets Pin Receptacles (in.)
Pin Receptacles (metric)
Contact Data (metric)
Contact Data (in.)
Product Photos 0255-0-15-80-30-84-04-0
Standard Package 500
Category Connectors, Interconnects
Family Terminals - PC Pin Receptacles, Socket Connectors
Series 0255
Tail Type Standard Tail
Termination Solder
Length - Overall 0.297" (7.54mm)
Accepts Pin Diameter 0.015" ~ 0.025" (0.38mm ~ 0.64mm)
Mounting Hole Diameter 0.022" (0.56mm)
Pin Hole Diameter 0.043" (1.09mm)
Flange Diameter 0.072" (1.83mm)
Tail Diameter 0.020" (0.51mm)
Socket Depth 0.150" (3.81mm)
Contact Material Beryllium Copper
Contact Finish Tin
Contact Finish Thickness 100µin (2.54µm)
Packaging Bulk
Features -
Operating Temperature -55°C ~ 125°C
Board Thickness -
Insertion Force -
Other Names ED1121

So, whew!, is this one good for a generic opamp on a generic PCB?

Thanks for the help,
Cheers,
Jeff

PS This tail looks like its just added on to the bottom of the PR (no socket inside) for ... stacking into pin headers?!? Could I just ... gasp ... snap them off?

Last edited:
Yeah, that one will probably work, but .....

Tailed PRs have a slimmer section below the socket (the tail) to allow it to fit in a smaller hole. One of those will fit, but won't offer any advantages over a normal IC socket.

You've selected a tailed PR. Eight of these are about the same as a normal DIP8 IC socket without the black plastic bit, only much more expensive!

The one shown in your original post is a tailless PR. Once again, you need a custom PCB to accommodate a tailless PR.

Using the tailed version, these are much better quality than normal IC sockets as they form gas tight connections and don't creep out.
Mounted flush in large holes, they give much lower inductance and are great for higher frequency devices. The snag is that the large hole leave little room for tracks between pins

PS This tail looks like its just added on to the bottom of the PR (no socket inside) for ... stacking into pin headers?!? Could I just ... gasp ... snap them off?

They're not for stacking, they're the part that gets soldered into the PCB. I'm not sure how you're missing my point; you can't take a pin, add contact fingers, a contact shell and still expect it to fit in a hole designed for the pin alone.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.