General diyAudio store questions thread

Hi, I have a question about customization services. I have a little modeling experience from Blender et al but this is my first CAD project. As such I've made a part in Fusion 360 but have come upon a couple possible issues and I'm wondering if just paying for the CAD drawing service would take care of these:

1. I discovered the minimum radius analysis AFTER designing and I have some fillets that don't pass. However my lack of CAD skills is preventing me from properly adjusting the fillet size. Do your techs adjust that sort of thing when it comes up?

2. When I export to DWG/DXF my paths look extremely rough in external viewers but perfectly smooth when imported back into Fusion 360. How can I QC the exported file so I can be confident in the file I send?

Hi Jason.

When the new stock of speaker protection boards arrive, could they be made available separately from the soft start boards? The use of a thermistor in various amplifier projects is recommended in the build guides with no reference to the soft start boards. It's a waste to have to purchase both when one will never be used.

Thx!

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
We receive the PCBs already packaged and sealed from our supplier, and won't be able to split them. Due to the costs associated with our fulfilment model, it doesn't make sense to sell anything less than about $15 or so per shippable item, which is why these are bundled together. We might split them in the future or change that if we get time to dig deep into a cost analysis but for now we're just keeping it simple - two related things for a good price in one bag. We've had a few requests over the years, but this is more of a business model / fulfilment cost thing.

Thanks Jason for the quick and thoughtful explanation. I completely understand the motivation for the current offering.

May I suggest a quick fix for the future which would be to have speaker protection boards bundled by the manuacturer in groups of two and then offer the speaker protection boards by themselves as a set for mono builds or two stereo builds. They could be offered at existing price. This would encourage customers to build more than one stereo amp and would allow flexibility for mono builds. The manufacturer would benefit because their job would be easier, DIYstore bean counters would be happy as their needs are met with not much effort and DIYers benefit. Same could be done for soft start boards. Win for everyone.

Thx!

Thanks, I see

With DHL it comes to 189.76 Pound sterling

Hmm yes that website says that under Anything under £135 No charge however
I guess when Items are sent from the US its under big packages to the UK with other peoples purchases ?

If I knew it would make a difference then I would buy two seperate times from the store and split the order.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
If it is send as a single shipment in two packages you still will pay on the total. It must be two separate shipments.
This is all data that is exchanged between DHL or whoever and customs so it can go through quickly.
If DHL, they will normally prepay the charges and you will need to pay DHL afterwards, including some 'admin fee' for the work they did. Probably around 20 UKP.

Jan

Switches things on and off again
Joined 2000
Paid Member
What Jim said :)

I think there has only ever been two sales in the store's history (the two previous BFCMs). There aren't big margins on the productrs, we rarely are overstocked (usually the opposite), everything is priced just enough to keep the doors open.

This year we probably won't do a BFCM sale because the vibe in the eCommerce world is that the carriers are not prepared for the chaos that will be created over that weekend due to COVID (both less ability to move products and increased online orders in general), defunding of USPS, and the political situation. Last year pretty much every carrier, especially the cheaper ones everyone wants to use (DHL eCommerce Parcel/Standard) went into meltdown, which resulted in annoyed customers (and headaches for us). This year things are predicted to be "beyond-meltdown" with carriers already barely able to keep up due to COVID related retardation of their logistics.

Short story: There's currently no plan for a sale

Last edited: