Geddes on Waveguides

I was looking at some gear on eBay today and noticed that Clair Brothers has a monitor that looks a lot like a Summa now.

GedLee.jpg

Here's a Summa. It's a two way with a B&C compression driver and a 15" woofer.

P110_1_1024x1024.jpg

Here's the Clair P110. It's a two way with a BMS compression driver and a 10" woofer.

I was looking at some gear on eBay today and noticed that Clair Brothers has a monitor that looks a lot like a Summa now.

Here's the Clair P110. It's a two way with a BMS compression driver and a 10" woofer.
Passing resemblance, but the P110 semi-triangular horn does not follow the oblate spheroid expansion pattern, it appears to be continually expanding, which would result in a narrowing HF pattern.

The HF dispersion pattern probably is consistent with the narrow cabinet wall angles.

Attachments

• P110.png
    P110.png
    725.1 KB · Views: 771
Im looking to build an oblate spheriodal waveguide from plaster. Im trying to make the throat to match the 6degree exit angle of my B&C de250 compression driver. Josh K mentions that he adapted his spreadsheet to include the cd exit angle. Only i can't find this version of the spreadsheet. Would someone be willing to send it to me / post it here?

See Post ...

Im looking to build an oblate spheriodal waveguide from plaster. Im trying to make the throat to match the 6degree exit angle of my B&C de250 compression driver. Josh K mentions that he adapted his spreadsheet to include the cd exit angle. Only i can't find this version of the spreadsheet. Would someone be willing to send it to me / post it here?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/mult...n-compression-driver-os-horn.html#post2327385

for the math.

Regards,

WHG

Exit from compression driver = shape A
Throat of horn = shape B
Smoothest / least distortion = gradual and physically economical transition from shape a to shape b, no extranious pedantic verbage or obscure patents needed. That is all there is to it, period :)
Pete,

Yes, that's "all there is too it" if one does not mind high frequency pattern narrowing, which the OS expansion specifically avoids up to around 12 kHz.

BTW, spell check is your friend when you use big wordz ;^).

Cheers,

Art

Thanks for the replies. Im feeling a bit dumb when i look at those lists of equations. Im starting to remember why i quit electrical engineering :D

I used the spreadsheet provided by Josh K to make the attached waveguide profile (the enormous exit radius is on purpose). Im trying to mimic a waveguide from a test baffle i did some tests with, which works quite well apart from some diffraction at 10KHz and narrowing above 12KHz. At least the diffraction at 10KHz is probably caused by non-optimal matching between waveguide exit and horn throat, as each iteration of adapter for providing a smooth transition improved the 10KHz behaviour (see attached polar).

So now im looking to improve the accuracy of the throat. The aforementioned spreadsheet by Josh K is perfect in drawing the profile in the right dimensions, only i can't change the cd exit angle. I have one version in which you can enter the exit angle, only it doesn't seem to work. Is there a working version around :) ?

Attachments

• Waveguide profile.png
    Waveguide profile.png
    11.9 KB · Views: 492
  • 15mm_convertor_polar.png
    15mm_convertor_polar.png
    95.1 KB · Views: 500
  • IMG_20160830_202836.jpg
    IMG_20160830_202836.jpg
    225.8 KB · Views: 473
  • IMG_20160902_204318.jpg
    IMG_20160902_204318.jpg
    235.4 KB · Views: 464
Thanks for the replies. Im feeling a bit dumb when i look at those lists of equations. Im starting to remember why i quit electrical engineering :D

I used the spreadsheet provided by Josh K to make the attached waveguide profile (the enormous exit radius is on purpose). Im trying to mimic a waveguide from a test baffle i did some tests with, which works quite well apart from some diffraction at 10KHz and narrowing above 12KHz. At least the diffraction at 10KHz is probably caused by non-optimal matching between waveguide exit and horn throat, as each iteration of adapter for providing a smooth transition improved the 10KHz behaviour (see attached polar).

So now im looking to improve the accuracy of the throat. The aforementioned spreadsheet by Josh K is perfect in drawing the profile in the right dimensions, only i can't change the cd exit angle. I have one version in which you can enter the exit angle, only it doesn't seem to work. Is there a working version around :) ?
Hi Jag768

May this can help for calculating OS-WG horn profile:

Ro =driver throat radius
To = driver mouth exit angle
Te =coverage angle (form axis)
Then

ro = Ro*sqrt( 1 - [tan(To)/tan(Te)]^2)
Xo = Ro/tan(Te)*tan(To)/tan(Te)

y(x) = ro*sqrt( 1+ {[(x+Xo)/ro]*tan(Te)}^2), x={0……}

Regards
Ivica

Nota Bene

When you set the parameters of the 1st derivative and set the coverage angle as well, the horn profile dimensions will change to meet this criteria.
Alternatively you must design a transition segment that continues the flare of compression driver until a some distant diameter a tangent point is reached with an existing horn profile. Ideally, use a compression driver designed to exit into the apex (at 0°) of the hyperbola that forms an OS horn profile.

N.B., EE is a 'cake-walk' compared to AE.
In this thread we are only dealing with 2nd. year high-school algebra where Calculus is first introduced.

Regards,
WHG

Last edited:
Ideally, use a compression driver designed to exit into the apex (at 0°) of the hyperbola that forms an OS horn profile.

Unfortunately - to my knowledge - none of these exist.

Better would be to have the OS flare continue through the phase plug right down to the diaphragm. I had a patent on this at one time - interchangeable phase plugs for different waveguide configurations.

Concur

Unfortunately - to my knowledge - none of these exist.

Better would be to have the OS flare continue through the phase plug right down to the diaphragm. I had a patent on this at one time - interchangeable phase plugs for different waveguide configurations.

Earl,

Totally agree with you on this, and a reverse flare could be used as the apex is approached from the negative side of the hyperbola. However the JBL 2447 & 2451 CD's come close to meeting the mission; and by now, there may be others as well. For those unaware, the attached Tech-Note [1] provides some design details.

Regards,

Bill

Reference [1]

Attachments

• JBL’tn-OACD.pdf
    446 KB · Views: 150
Last edited:

The Hornresp Horn Segment Wizard tool will give you what you want - just select the Calculate option that best suits your needs.

For example...

In Attachment 1:

Specified:

Throat area S1 = 50 cm2
Mouth Area S2 = 2500 cm2
Cutoff frequency F12 = 500 Hz
Throat entry half-angle AT = 6 degrees *

* Change AT to 3 degrees if the "6 degree exit angle" referred to is the total included angle, not the half-angle.

Calculated:

Waveguide axial length L12 = 12.57 cm
Mouth flare tangent angle Fta = 65.62 degrees

Attachment 2 shows the schematic diagram for the specified waveguide. Dimensional data can be exported for construction purposes.

Attachments

• Attach_1.png
    Attach_1.png
    31.1 KB · Views: 367
  • Attach_2.png
    Attach_2.png
    46 KB · Views: 130
Last edited:
Hi Jag768

May this can help for calculating OS-WG horn profile:

Ro =driver throat radius
To = driver mouth exit angle
Te =coverage angle (form axis)
Then

ro = Ro*sqrt( 1 - [tan(To)/tan(Te)]^2)
Xo = Ro/tan(Te)*tan(To)/tan(Te)

y(x) = ro*sqrt( 1+ {[(x+Xo)/ro]*tan(Te)}^2), x={0……}

Regards
Ivica
As I have remembered OSWG are of CD horn type, so mouth flare curve is not specified explicitly given but E.G. has suggested to be of semicircular flare whose radius is about Lamda/4, where Lamda corresponds to lowest usable frequency

Regards
Ivica

As I have remembered OSWG are of CD horn type, so mouth flare curve is not specified explicitly given but E.G. has suggested to be of semicircular flare whose radius is about Lamda/4, where Lamda corresponds to lowest usable frequency

Regards
Ivica

Mouth flare is never part of any horn/waveguide theory, they all deal with devices of infinite extent. The role of the mouth flare is covered in my book. Basically the larger the radius the better, but beyond a certain point it becomes impractical and less effective.