• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB: Round #8; Fo-Felix AC Filter

Ian,

The "Technical Pro" version has 9 separate front switches so this could be perhaps quite useful, particularly if you use a couple of the filters (after emptying out the original 'bits').
I did this with a 4 outlet filter box with a higher current filter (& dc trap) for the 2 power amps and a lower current filter (and another dc trap) for the preamp and dac - it has just the single mains switch on the back, unfortunately, but it works extremely well

Thanks James. Good to know, but I went a different route - individual boxes for each filter.

I recently completed the construction of my 5 filters and figured it was worth putting down my impressions. My expectation was that I wouldn’t be too overwhelmed by any changes as my power supply was fairly good already. A dedicated twin 20amp line direct from the electrical panel to outlets behind my hi-fi installation.

Well, I was wrong.

I had ordered parts for two Bourns 8120-based filters and three Coilcraft P3717-based filters. I decided to install these in individual plastic cases so I could get the filter as close to the component as possible.

Z

I got the Bourns chokes and other components from Mouser very quickly and proceeded to put together one of the Bourns-based filters. I installed it on my pre-amp (Elekit TU-85000) and settled back to listen. Immediately I noticed a difference – “Oh, yeah. That’s way better” was my initial thought. As I listened further it became clear that this tiny collection of simple components was having a drastic effect on the sound. Better image. More detail. More visibility into the performance.

Excited by these results I put together the second Bourns filter and installed it into the power cord for my power amp (Rotel RB-870BX). Results were the same but more so. As I got further into listening, I was amazed by how much better the sound was. Diana Krall was now in my living room; the sense of intimacy was overwhelming.

After a few more days my package from Coilcraft arrived. I replaced the preamp filter with a Coilcraft-based version and installed the second Bourns on my subwoofer. The subwoofer is a massive (6’x2’x2’) twin KEF B139-powered transmission line design that I found on the web (the “Audio Perfection Subwoofer”, as I recall) fed by a plate amp repurposed from a Polk Audio PSW10 (serious need for upgrade there). I’d always been a bit disappointed with this combo, there was plenty of bass, but it was a bit wooly. The filter made a big difference. The bass is now much tighter and better integrated with the main speakers (diy La Scalas with Bruce Edgar Tractrix horns).

My sources are a Chord Mojo which I run off the internal battery, so not much scope for the filter there. And a Rega Planar 3 which I will try with a filter once I can tear myself away from the DAC.

So, all in all, a large improvement in the sound of my system for minimal outlay. Great job Jeremy and thanks very much!

Trying to put together my filter today. I understand that each filter sends output to a dedicated output and so the two plug outlets have to be kept isolated from each other. I am using a Furutech FPX (cu) power outlet and I can't figure out how to remove the tab connecting the two plug outlets in it. Thanks for any advice. Happy holidays!

Since, the next GB has still not been announced...
I am 'desperately' searching for some "Fo-Felix AC Filter" PCB Boards (with the WECO 983ZD Terminals).

Therefore, if anybody has some FS that they are not using -- This would be greatly appreciated! :cool:
--
Thank-you! Best regards, -Tim.

@ destroyer OS.

We love your board (quality) and the great thing is that it is useable straight away, with no need to tinker with it or drill extra holes. in order to adapt different inductors.

I would like to suggest a few (potential) improvements

1) Solidcore has a good point about the 5x20 mm fuses which are very common. Any chance to see a PCB accepting both fuse dimensions ??

2) You had some delivery lead time issues with your WECO 983ZD terminal strip connectors + Minimal Order Quantity of 100 pieces. They are great for daisychaining. But I remember one member referencing another possible terminal strip connectors. May be the board could be adapted to accept different terminal strips ??

In any case, we look forward your next GB.

@ destroyer OS.

We love your board (quality) and the great thing is that it is useable straight away, with no need to tinker with it or drill extra holes. in order to adapt different inductors.

I would like to suggest a few (potential) improvements

1) Solidcore has a good point about the 5x20 mm fuses which are very common. Any chance to see a PCB accepting both fuse dimensions ??

2) You had some delivery lead time issues with your WECO 983ZD terminal strip connectors + Minimal Order Quantity of 100 pieces. They are great for daisychaining. But I remember one member referencing another possible terminal strip connectors. May be the board could be adapted to accept different terminal strips ??

In any case, we look forward your next GB.
Are 5x20mm fuses much more common outside of the US? In the US they're abundant - like literally everywhere.

There are other terminal connectors but do people really want to go from pure copper to brass/steel? The entire board is only copper including the fuse holders. I think the WECO's are worth a wait (hopefully wait times are reduced now). There would have to be a review about whether or not it's possible to add something else. We've done careful work to have thermal relief for soldering but still allow a full 20A load - there's a nice little balance that may not be compatible with change. The addition could be limited to single solder leads per pole and those suck.