• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB Group Buy Salas UltraFSP RIAA

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I have an original unbuilt FSP kit that I have been working towards by building a few simpler phonos first.

I’m pretty sure I have everything. Possibly not the extra JFETs to build it specifically for low output.

That is because I wanted the flexibility of using it with both MM and MC carts and I have a high quality JFET MC head amp I can switch in and out in front of the FSP to allow for an additional 20dB of gain.

It seems like this “Ultra” version has addressed the issue of adjustable gain and also improved the power supply.

Are there certain parts of the package I can buy to use with my original FSP kit so that I can benefit from some of the improvements?

I’m thinking maybe the power supply? But it seems like the variable gain would require new boards?

BTW...I tried viewing the spreadsheet order form. For some reason it won’t open for me on my iPhone in Sheets.

Chromenuts, I still have many parts needed for the original design if you want to complete that. The 2SK369BL Quad is what you want for low output. But this kit overall, even minikit, not appropriate for older version.

We dont offer the 1.3S supply separately to rig back to this unit, which would effectively be mostly the sames setup , sans the ability to alter gain readily.

I was able to edit with google sheets with my iphone without issue. But in general there is not universal editability with google sheets even though it is wide open. Code is imperfect as we all are. If you run into problem and want to get something, private message me and I can update sheet and invoice as needed.

Hi Alex,
Why not add your own between the boards, or the power supply by cutting a trace? Another regulator would be much more effective though and is easily converted from C multiplier circuit.

-Chris

First of all, my deepest gratefulness to Salas and his crew for tremendous work done to released it to the world.
“There are many ways how to skin the cat” and we do have freedom to add or to mod staff easily. The point is to use some integrated solution that flexible enough that will accommodate needs for majority of users. My be it is just my (single person) needs… I do not know that yet… 😊.
Nice things about snubbers that it is totally fine to run board/s if these components are not populated.
C-Multiplier (also can be bypassed if not needed), which was widely explained by Rod Elliott and Dave (on YouTube), will be nice addition to min Vripple without V regulation (and etc..) to almost neglectable level prior umbilical cord long run.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
“There are many ways how to skin the cat” and we do have freedom to add or to mod staff easily. The point is to use some integrated solution that flexible enough that will accommodate needs for majority of users.

Alex hi. I had also tried advanced 2nd order Cmult in-between the Raw PS and the onboard shunt reg in the previous realization. Results were not palpable enough for me thus I did not adopt it or recommend it as standard part of the phono configuration. Cmult is very useful in many situations but rather not in this one. It proved a robust enough system for raw dc line noise rejection on its own.

Attachments

• DSCF4217.jpg
    DSCF4217.jpg
    583.3 KB · Views: 580
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
It would force you to compensate with higher R2 R3 values which add their little nVrtHz noise to Q1 Q2. 15mA IDSS would need about 11 Ohm R2 R3 for instance. But they stand in parallel for LMC so not escalating too bad. In circuit Id target with degeneration is roughly 9.5mA each via R2 R3. In other than low internal resistance low output MC carts use it isn't even a theoretical noise concern. For high output MC and MM you would probably have to up R19 and R20 to maintain target gain from being pushed too much. Id current goal is much smaller in the 2-3mA region.

Hi -- just to confirm, for a stereo, high output build, would we need 2x 2SK369 matched pairs ($24 total for 4 transistors) and 2x 2SK170 matched triples ($66 total for 6 transistors), correct? Just don't want to make any mistakes if I decide to pull the trigger on an order.

Thanks!

Last edited:
Hi -- just to confirm, for a stereo, high output build, would we need 2x 2SK369 matched pairs ($24 total for 4 transistors) and 2x 2SK170 matched triples ($66 total for 6 transistors), correct? Just don't want to make any mistakes if I decide to pull the trigger on an order.

Thanks!

Disregard — I now understand reqs for Q1/Q2 with regard to HO/LO builds. I also realized I have the K170s on hand.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
I'm curious if I order the Big Parts Kit including board and RAW power supply, are there any components besides the case that I still need to source myself?

Big parts kit is for the main board itself, it does not include RAW PCB or parts. That is separate.

It also does not include R2-3 resistors, and R8,R11 are not included but are with the 2SKXXXBL kits. This is so I can tune the right resistor for the IDSS of these JFETs. It is confusing, but allows for exact customization.

The parts will only cover the boards that are sold. They STILL do not include any C3-C4, which are often one of the bigger expenses for the project. Signal caps are often chosen around specific taste. If resistors are as well, then the minkit only is recommended. The kits are provided to make gathering parts easier for some people, especially overseas. There parts such as IEC, connectors, transformers, wire etc to make a complete kit are needed. If requested, I could expand the BOM spreadsheet for some basic parts, including chassis, to make the whole project for an example. In my world you would still need a drill, other tools etc.

Disregard — I now understand reqs for Q1/Q2 with regard to HO/LO builds. I also realized I have the K170s on hand.

Great, each set of fets is meant for both channels, so one on each line is expected for the most part, unless you want to double the build.