• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for Salas Folded Simplistic Phono PCB

I know >_<. Unfortunately, the balanced idea has stuck in my head and won't let go. Finished a balanced output DAC not a while back, and every other DIY project I have in the works (headphone amp, volume control / line-stage, and power amp) are balanced. Might as well go all the way. :D

Quick question : WOULD it be as simple as just having two boards with each board handling the + and - signals of a channel, to make it a properly balanced phono stage? Or would it need some changes in the input to make it differential?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Merlin did that once with the previous version on matrix boards. Should work fairly well. Balanced is 3dB less intrinsic SNR but its a killer to hum picked along from the cart pins onwards when impedance is matched. Even touching a cart pin live should not matter if done well. How well with two spaced boards, not a tightly knit balanced impedance transformer, I don't know. Never done it before on simplistic phonos to have measured CMRR. All cart pins should be floating, no relation to arm, TT, & phono grounding.

*snip*
not a tightly knit balanced impedance transformer, I don't know.
*snip

When you say tightly knit balance impedance transformer, you mean a dedicated differential circuit based on the original single ended schematic? If that's the case, would you recommend that I do it on stripboard instead, or would the advantage still be with the PCBs due to layout, etc?

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Hi, I bought in batch from Farnell, and some from PartsConnexion as well.
PartsConnexion has sent me both colours, Farnell only grey.
For other projects I have had, all gray for same for 1837, except .1uf I got was black a few months back. I suppose the product sheet may have current color.

Joined 2006
Paid Member
The GB for the Salas board is open for payment up until 11:59PM EST 11-30-2014.

Payment is via PayPal invoice only. You will need to send me your paypal email via private message for me to start this process. Then I will invoice the parts you requested from the spreadsheet. If you reply to this email - cut out some of the existing text, otherwise the message is too big.;)

Customs forms
DO NOT ask for me to fudge up a customs form with really low amount. These are based on reasonable wholesale price.

Shipping
Continues to rise via USPS.
In general boards are a set costs, and mini kits are built into the shipping costs and larger full kits are 10.00 to ship. Starting price for shipping is 7.00 for just a small board and can rise from there.

Here is more details on the boards

Folded Simple Phono Preamp

proto_twin.jpg

Per board cost is $52.00

Link for first post for build guide
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/grou...-folded-simplistic-phono-pcb.html#post3615620

RAW Supply details -Use before RIAA board as pre power supply.

$15.00 for PCB

IMG_1630.jpg

MiniKit BOM section. This links goes to full details of all the parts included in the kits and there respective positions on the board.
http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/blogs/tea-bag/741-salas-board-minikits-full-kits.html