• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB for Baby Huey PCB

Hello Carl,
Thanks for the conformation and also for the appreciation.
There is a specific build thread dedicated to the BH design by Marc.
here it is EL34 Baby Huey Amplifier
Pl go through the thread and if you have any questions , the designer (Marc) or some one might get back to you with an answer.

To Marc,
Just a query. have you started with the BHEL84 yet?

Regards
Prasi

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Prasi,
Your boards arrived today as well. They are excellent quality and the thickness was a nice surprise. I have a set of power and output transformers from a Heathkit that someone destroyed that I was saving. I'll use them in this project. Those transformers are higher quality than in many commercially built amplifiers of that era (late 1950's to late 1960's). I'm looking forward to the build when I get to it.

I should mention that your boards were packed far better than I expected as well. They could have survived almost anything packed like that. You'll probably have zero damage in shipping for these.

Thanks for running a very good group buy!

-Chris

Thanks potepuh and Chris.
Glad they made t to Canada without any issues.
Yes, I am a bit extra careful regarding packing as international shipments are always a risk. For more than 4 boards , I always wrap around a piece of thick cardboard as well.

Just recently I ordered a pair of peerless woofers from PE and they arrived to me with frames bent out of shape rendering them utterly useless. Packaging was horrible. PE agreed for replacement drivers and I have placed a special request to them to pack the drivers appropriately. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Regards
Prasi

Attachments

• IMG_20190118_185421.jpg
    IMG_20190118_185421.jpg
    46.7 KB · Views: 353
  • IMG_20190118_184705.jpg
    IMG_20190118_184705.jpg
    157.2 KB · Views: 360
  • IMG_20190118_185109 (1).jpg
    IMG_20190118_185109 (1).jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 350
Last edited:
Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Hi Prasi,
That was clearly shipping damage, and the packing was insufficient as well.

You would cry if you saw how I've been shipped speakers over the years. One person saved space by taking all the speakers out of their boxes ... and stacking them. That was over $1K in 1981. A distributor shipped woofers to me packed in noodles (styrofoam). The frames and magnet assembly settled to the bottom of the box. The cones didn't. :devilr: Another distributor shipped me some woofers (8") and a transformer. The transformer turned out to be very mobile. The speakers weren't.

I could go on, but they are just variations on a theme.

-Chris :)

Joined 2004
Paid Member
I got my two boards today.
Now where do I get all the parts?
Is there a GB setup for these and if so where?
Thanks
The boards feel very well made and feel very heavy duty
Great job on them

Carlthess40,

Since you seem to be located in the USA there was a Mouser buylist in the old Baby Huey EL84 tread. I did not check it now, but it should save time in finding the right items to order from Mouser.com

Mouser Electronics

This list does not include transformers, connectors, case, power cord, etc.

The builders in NA are likely to buy their transformers in NA, and EDCOR or Hammond both make suitable, not very expensive transformers (and chokes, if you wanted to use a choke). Several folk imported their trannies from Toroidyi in Poland as recommended by Marc. Some used a ClassicTone 40-18069 power transformer which offers all the needed voltages and currents for the EL34 version.

There is very good information in the old, very long Baby Huey EL84 thread, so current builders of the new batch of PCBs may find answers already discussed to questions they may develop. This is available at:

EL84 Amp - Baby Huey

Hello Prasi! You just beat me to it. I have a package sitting right here in front of me. The postman interrupted my lunch about 40 minutes ago to hand me a package. I was going to run to the computer immediately, but hunger is a very strong motivator.

After finishing lunch, checking my emails (work is a very strong motivator), I proceeded to fight through 4 layers of armour/packaging to see some heavy duty looking EL84 BH boards.

Thank you very much again for getting the monumental task of administration, manufacturing, and logistics done Prasi. I would doubt a bunch of people here would attempt a project of this scope without PCBs (myself included). Thank you for getting this to the second mile. And thank you Marc for starting the BH PCB at the first mile.

Take care over there Prasi!