• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

GB: AYA II TDA1541A DAC (2014 Edition) PCB or Kit

Hi Peterma,

I really advise you to ask to Pedja.

Here is my personal vision, but who am I as a beginner :D! :

For the 3 voltage rails of the TDA-1541, I will try firstly without any caps here as the others main elctrolytics caps are very close and very low esr. P. writted already they can be forgotten. PPS should be better than X7R because more stable with temperature drift at high frequencies (this is not by luck than they are avoided for DEM caps bench by people like Pedja, Thorsten, John. Choose NPO if you really want ceramic for the 3 voltages TDA caps; ceramics stay ok for the two others you speak about, try maybe pps tantalum if going to the embeded 12M hz decoupling crystal cap?!. Don't forgott P. is a professional and already measured all :)

If the main 3 voltage output caps are not soldered yet, I will personaly try also (my two cents) :

Oscon sp
UCC , PSA serie
Nichicon PSE (6.3 v max)
Panasonic SEP (before the SEPC)

After only will try the local 0.1 Nf (to 1 Uf) smd decoupling with PPS (0.1 uF to 1 uf) or NPO (0.1 uF) : just because they can be removed easily with solder breads... but not the electrolytic caps which vias are too small: you will damage the pcb (have been there done that)

But mainly don't forget in this shunt typology reg: this is the main filtered/reservoir cap which dictate firstly the sound blend.... and you can try with the dedicated voltage to try also here the list I give above in // with the main caps... certainly with some oscillation risks ?!

Last edited:
ah, for the short list above : of course BG std and better N or NX range... forgett it as they became too rare... but some have some on their shelves, so...

I'm sure they will try it : see the photograph of one of the first aya on the Audial Blog :) ! What can you see :D ?

I have.

mine is simultaning mode with the I2StoPCM.

I tryed first in simple I2S mode the Sure Electronic spidf testing board (whic has a 16 bits or a 24 bits position) that I had U-FLed... didn't work. A pity because this board has the W8804 with HARD(ware) mode with its embed smt crystal !

I had some problems to finish the AYA II 2014 due to my poor experience (I putted an other JFet but mistaked with the leads position, had an uf-l bad soldered, bad led orientation, etc...) but Pedja helped me a lot to fix it. This Monsieur keeped the free DIY spirit while staying humble (have to say the manual is enough but when you are a poor technician you can do 2 cents errors yourself during the assembly, hé oui...). :cheers:. And I repeat he was very friendly to make an another batch of him AYAII for us at low price with this 2014 revision.

Now I just waiting the WaveI/O (Lorien needs time to finish him wavei/o revision with the daughterboard as he also start with a new software for drawing pcbs).

Voilà !

It sounds :)

Much better than the Subbu, more natural, more acurate tonal color... not the same price either! I still find Juppu.. ah sorry JP & Subbu made a very good work at a democratic price for all. And can be upgraded with few money (my modified BOM)... but for sure the AYA 2 is not in the same league !:)

Cheung,

Photos are not sexy, but sound is ! I get the VDC ffor the Ian's board from the AYA PCB (from the Spidf chip supply): it's close to the side board and as it's a shunt... :). I frankly doesn't understand why the magazines don't talk more of Audial : the sound is accurate and good, I can not hear the 16/41 NOS crisps : brillant optimisation from Pedja Rogic... patience pays with fine choosed parts :). I just take to myself to putt a Rhopoint resitor for I/V to avoid the harchness and coldy sound signature of the bulk metal foil resistors (Pedja let us to choose the i/v resistor we want without advice one to let everybody to be confortable with that ! ).

Hey man, you know it Cheung to has one yourself with Model S : Pedja was the first to brand a simultaneous TDA-1541 DAC !

Caps are still burning in (is it the right ewpression?).

Attachments

• IMAG1488.jpg
    IMAG1488.jpg
    407.6 KB · Views: 446
  • IMAG1489.jpg
    IMAG1489.jpg
    467.9 KB · Views: 439
Last edited:
Nice set up there Eldam and I see your BG Ns have found a great home finally. Be patient on the burn in..they do need time to settle and reward comes thereafter :)

Thats ten years of experience from Pedja really, and I suppose the Ian i2s to pcm board also brings out better clarity and more liveliness to the AYA II.

Happy listening!

Thanks for that and thank you again to have asked to Pedja to share the DIY spitit with us and our tda-1541 (good) kit quest. That really reassure me about human being whom can share and advance together when people give up hypocrisis, egoism and bad willing, bad faith attitude !

Between the Distinction-1541 & AYA 2 2014 revision I believe we looked at in the same direction togethers, giving the better to each other. This is important for me as in France I find people are in a sort of civil war inside the enterprises forgiven this is a comon adventure ! Glad also than the ego can be pad off in our hobby as well and some man like Pedja don't forgett the DIY spirit and the old time of internet sharings !

I surmise you got the Model A as well ! This man has the Ears :). You should ask him what speakers he has :cool: !

You were a great influence Eldam, on this project and thus on mankinds :D

Oh, no idea why there arent that many Audial reviews out there as you said...but do you get that sonic impression as the article below describes?

For me I do, from my Model S USB and thats why I also recommended the AYA II :)
And with the new features that Pedja put in, the 2014 AYA II edition should be much superb sounding than the original.

The Audial Model S DAC | ???The Audio Standard

Last edited:
Hard to describe sonic impressions, but I find the tonal color good and natural. Dynamic is present and better than the others dacs I have ! Soundstage is deep at home.

But I have not the good blue BG NX and BGN you have atound the tda chips ! Just at the output (which is essential and better than without ! a rare exception at the phrase best cap is no cap !). I'm very interogativ about the dip 8 oap i see in the given links above ! Not anymore oap861 ? or something else : a newer buffer stage which mix discret + this oap ! hummm, that's not all : the active dem synch + the simultaneous mode of the Model S is certainly be very good and a part of the great sound ! Lucky you are, good stuff, keep it !

How much time is needed according to you to burn in the output caps BG N ?