GainClone PS auditions

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
It would be interesting to see at what point putting a larger transformer would make no difference.If 400VA sounds better than 225VA then why not try 650VA or even 1000VA.If sonics can be improved that easily it is a small price to pay relatively speaking compared to putting exotic caps as long as weight and size of the PS are not negative factors.Going from a 400VA to a 1000VA would only cost 35-40 EURO extra and if someone is trying to get absolute most from a GC then it's not a big deal.

As regards battery power I disagree with analog_sa that there is less PRAT.At least in my set up there is more PRAT rather than less with batteries.In fact the bass is much better and subtle shadings of timing and inflection are more obvious in all the freq. range. I am sure that is what he hears at home but I wonder why.Unless the better bass definition is exciting certain speaker/room resonances for the worst.

Ok, i am yet to build a 3886/3875 amp, so i will take your word for it that the power supply doesnt need much capacitance..

But how do you get rid of mains hum? In my opamp circuits the hum is very audible with anything less than ~5000uF across the power supply rails..

protos said:
It would be interesting to see at what point putting a larger transformer would make no difference.If 400VA sounds better than 225VA then why not try 650VA or even 1000VA.If sonics can be improved that easily it is a small price to pay relatively speaking compared to putting exotic caps as long as weight and size of the PS are not negative factors.Going from a 400VA to a 1000VA would only cost 35-40 EURO extra and if someone is trying to get absolute most from a GC then it's not a big deal.

I recently tried 250VA transformer from different source (with primary winded on top) and it seems to sound better than 400VA and 225VA (with shield). So it seems like the wattage is not that important as the way the transformer is made.

Tried also 2 x 250VA EI transformers and they sounded very bad.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.