Gainclone building thread based on BrianGT's boards

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
budwiser said:
For the input jacks do I insulate the ground lug from the cabinet ?
kestrel200 said:
I don't know what I was doing wrong But now I'm getting 33VDC readings off the PS. This is with a 22V rated Toroid! Thanks for all your support,encouragement and advice. Now let's see if I can hook up the amps right!:D
Don't worry, it is correct. I think you should test one channel first. after connecting V+,V-,PG+,PG-. Make sure the AC inlet 3th pin grounded, and connect the CHG to that grounded area. SG -> input port ground, and OG-> brinding post ground. Don't connect brinding post ground and input port ground to the CHG and AC Inlet ground.

I only have the premium kit not the bigger BG caps. There are two things that I find lacking compare with my JLHs right now

1/ lacking a bit of intimacy- do not know how to describe in words.
2/ I notice or more aware of the speakers existence with GC, 3D sound is lower in height and not enough depth. In other words a bit flat in comparison.

Regards,
Chris

Edit- The rest are if not better at least equal:cool:

Lack of soudstage depth was a common complain with that chip amp. It seemed that in my amp, I improved on that with Cardas wire and Caddocks at the input/feedback. It also gets better when the amp is breaking in/warming up. Do you switch it off between listening sessions?

As to intimacy, that part is quite dependant on chassis construction. For instance, I observed more open and direct sound when lifting the top cover on my current chassis (offering). Spikes and proper isolation improve things here as well. Experimentation is definitely recommended.

Re: Can it be pushed further?

chris ma said:
Has anyone tried to improve the BrianGT GC further? Although it is really outstanding for what it is now I think there may be still room for improvement?

Me?:usd:

chris ma said:
I only have the premium kit not the bigger BG caps. There are two things that I find lacking compare with my JLHs right now

1/ lacking a bit of intimacy- do not know how to describe in words.
2/ I notice or more aware of the speakers existence with GC, 3D sound is lower in height and not enough depth. In other words a bit flat in comparison.

Regards,
Chris

Edit- The rest are if not better at least equal:cool:

Definitely input buffer and regulated PSU.:cool:
It's a sound to :bawling: for.:D

Is there a consolidated list of items, outside of Brian's kit, that are needed to complete this version of the IGC? I have read a lot of archived posts, and visited a lot of websites, and there seem to be minor differences in most folks's build. I know I need binding posts, RCA input jacks, cases, heat sinks, an IEC, fuse holder, fuse and switch. But I think I am also seeing bypass and/or filtering passives on the input and output jacks. Any recommendations for the items and values?

Thanks!

Not according to Variac:

quote:

"I actually have it wired:
AC1N - Orange
AC1H - Yellow
AC2N - Black
AC2H - Red

The transformer label shows the black and orange as 0 volts, so I assumed they were the neutrals. I am not sure this is correct, but I do get a steady 35 volts on the DC side. I probably have 25 hours of time on the amp with no issues and it continues to sound great."

Re: Re: Can it be pushed further?

Definitely input buffer and regulated PSU.:cool:
It's a sound to :bawling: for.:D

A couple of question here and there..
Does it has to be input buffered with regulated PSU?
Does it has to be inverted with input buffer?
One of my JLH for ESL uses LM388K(LM338K? not sure now need to check) exactly same as the one mentioned in Geoff's site, can I use it instead of the one you mentioned?
The other JLH uses big CLC unregulated any one try CLC psu for GC yet? If go with CLC does it has to be inverted and bufferred as well?

Regards,
Chris

Re: Re: Re: Can it be pushed further?

chris ma said:

Does it has to be input buffered with regulated PSU?
Does it has to be inverted with input buffer?
One of my JLH for ESL uses LM388K(LM338K? not sure now need to check) exactly same as the one mentioned in Geoff's site, can I use it instead of the one you mentioned?
The other JLH uses big CLC unregulated any one try CLC psu for GC yet? If go with CLC does it has to be inverted and bufferred as well?

It does not have to be buffered to use reg PS. Don't take reg PS as a granted improvement. As with everything, it's something you have to try and decide for yourself. I'm still sceptical about it, but since this subject came up again, I will be probably trying that type of supply as well;)

The circuit does not thave to be inverted to use buffer. I tried inverted in a past and didn't like it compared to non inverting. I also see bigger improvement in the buffer added to non inverting than I observed it with inverting circuit.

Technically, you don't really need a buffer, and in a properly set up system, you'll get great results without it. But since I started using S102 transformers attenuators, and recently modified ML preamp, I can understand what people mean by the improvement. The sound becomes more liquid and smooth, so generally I would recommend a sort of pre stage. The better this stage, the better the sound.

CLC filtering stage will not work the same way in class B amp as in class A amp, as the current draw is not constant in the first case.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Can it be pushed further?

Peter Daniel said:
It does not have to be buffered to use reg PS. Don't take reg PS as a granted improvement. As with everything, it's something you have to try and decide for yourself. I'm still sceptical about it, but since this subject came up again, I will be probably trying that type of supply as well;)

If you believe my words, take it for granted.
If you don't believe, try it and judge for yourself.:D
After done, when you're listening, you'll take my words for granted.:tilt:
:usd:

Thanks for the explanations Peter,
But with regulated PSU doesn't it kind of defeat the purpose of let the amp stays on 24/7?

May be it has break in a bit more now...., one thing I notice the GC mid bass is excellent and because of that I think it also make things sound so real as if live. Lyrics are much easier to follow. A few findings you mentioned early in the "not just another GC" thread I can realise too.
Regards,
Chris

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.