Gainclone building contest details (from BrianGT group order)

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
platenspeler said:

Thanks for your kind words Nuuk. Unfortunately I do not have your woodwork skills so I'll have to do with standard alu boxes of Conrad.

Maarten

Maarten- Very nice indeed. I searched the Conrad sight, but couldn't find the cases you used - do you have a link or more complete name? Much appreciated!

[edit: never mind, I think I found them - the PFC 1650 Custom fit speakers. Not sure what speakers is, but I think this is the box.]

Don't know where else to put this. But today I finished my gainclone kit. All basic parts and included the Zobel.

The sound is very nice, can't tell yet if I like it better than my Zen v2 or not. It has infinite power out of my 92dB speakers in my small room.

Here some pics:

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The amplifier. The chips are mounted on a brass slab. Teflon insulated silver wire used everywhere. All connectors are surplus.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

The powersupply. The beefy tranny is ripped from a broken Onkyo amp. VA rating should be something around 300VA. It is a center tapped tranny, so only 4 diodes used. They put out +-40V DC, I hope the LMs will survive this voltage, according to the specs on NI they should...

Here the GC sits on top of my trusty Zen v2. I think everyone recognizes the cases from the GC from Conrad. Cheap and adequate :)

Nice job Hanzwillem!

Anyone know where Brian is? I tried to email pics of my finished GC but they keep bouncing back as undeliverable. I tried both chipamp.com email addresses and the tastybeef one. All 3 bounced back. The only thing I can think of is the file size is too big (1970K).

-Ken

kec said:

Anyone know where Brian is? I tried to email pics of my finished GC but they keep bouncing back as undeliverable. I tried both chipamp.com email addresses and the tastybeef one. All 3 bounced back. The only thing I can think of is the file size is too big (1970K).

Thanks!

Dunno, I didn't try to email em to Brian yet. I really like your case, but I did not want to put the effort in making my own cases this time, so I settled for the easy conrad put toghethers.
Maybe for my next project I will do more my best, probably an Aleph 3 or 5. But for now I am pretty happy with the sound out of the GC. Most probably I will make three channels more to listen multichannel sacd and dvd-a. I would really like to hear the Portishead Roseland dvd in multichannel...

gainclone finished up and running

Hi, everyone, thanks for a great forum and lots of insight to my troubles, everything ended up fine and I am pleased as punch. A great product for sure. Obviously, you know the great feeling that a quality DIY project can bring a person if you are reading this. Thanks a bunch Brian for your support and help. Anyone thinking about this project should just jump in. I had never soldered anything other than speakers before this project, you can do it!

Mitch

Attachments

• amplifier.jpg
    amplifier.jpg
    52 KB · Views: 1,070
Nice one stefan, I really like the wood.

Finally, music!!! I just checked to see when I bought the boards sept. 18th not to bad on the turn around time i guess.

Everything is working well, and maybe it even sounds better when everything is hanging upsidedown ;) .

The case is an LMB heeger premade extruded aluminum that is about 8.1*6*3 or so, costs about $25. With some though it gives just enough room for the 250va toroid, the noble pot and the blue led of course.

thanks brian for the boards

-dave

Attachments

• top_view_s_dq.jpg
    top_view_s_dq.jpg
    99 KB · Views: 576
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.