Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Our perception is part of our experience. I was agreeing with you.

Hearing is more than an eardrum vibrating. Fatigue affects our perception and so does mechanical issues. Have you never noticed your hearing can be affected by having a cold or allergies? If not, then maybe you're lucky.
Glad to see it seems that we agree.

Nose and ears are closely connected.
Maybe not everyone knows it, but ears (outer-ear, middle-ear and inner-ear) are part of the Respiratory System.
Just as everyone knows all the organs of the respiratory system are covered with a mucosa which in turn is covered with a mucus thin film, this thin film "walks" from the inside to the outside on cilia.
When "cold or allergies" and/or pathogens occur then that mucosa is inflamed and that mucus becomes dense and viscous, and increases in quantity and it no longer walks as before on the cilia.
So for those organs the above is a real issue.
And for ears even more.

So, if my nose is blocked then I keep away at all from my audio system and I don't turn it on for any reason. ;)

Both noise and distortion (that you erroneously call "noise") can be audible.
What about the noise that is signal-correlated? Its somewhere between what is often thought of as HD at one end of the spectrum, and 100% random noise at the other end of the spectrum.

Also in a way, HD could be thought of as 100% signal-correlated noise, where noise is defined in the general sense of being, "any unwanted signal," (as defined by Bart Kosko in his book, Noise).
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bart_Kosko

Then there is linear distortion. Don't know that if it could be considered a type of noise by Kosko's definition since it is more of a possibly-unwanted linear alteration of a signal.

Last edited:
@wiseoldtech

Please be careful not to violate the rules of civil coexistence and tries to have civil behavior.

Surely you thought my comment was provocative (just because almost all your comments often seem to be), well it wasn't at all.
I was very serious, just as I'm right now.

So, do you think that the sound of flowing water of a waterfall is influenced by the rate of humidity of the air?
Or, maybe do you think that the sound of a thunder is influenced by hunidity?
I don't think so at all.

Yet I think that the mechanical and physical characteristics of a drive/speaker are influenced by the air humidity rate, just as an example.
And also our mood and therefore the ability to listen critically.

You insulted me by attacking me in vain because maybe you possibly translate everything into a struggle, and I can even understand it, I don't judge you.

Anyway, when a minimum of relationship with people is established, and we did it - hardly, but still did it - why do you think others are ready to stab you?

I just wanted to converse with you, but you didn't realize that.

The legendary Dick Burwen, professional electronics and audio electronics designer (he designed the Cello Audio Palette for Levinson) has a strong opinion about audio tweaks. Small changes in head position cause audible changes in frequency balance in a typical listening room.

Linear Audio V3, April 2012, guest editorial https://www.linearaudio.net/audible-tweaks-cannot-work

So you get up, swap a cable, put in an audio fuse etc and then sit back down to see if there is a change. And your head is in a different position. Perhaps to hear the expected difference you sit forward a bit, or lean back a bit. And lo and behold - you hear a change. Expectation bias raises its head.

Alternatively, you can carry out a change - say a different cable somewhere in your system. Sounds different, right? Live with it for a couple of weeks, then swap the old cable back in - and see if it actually sounds better or worse, or the same.

I've tried persuading someone who pays a fortune for esoteric fuses (on another forum) to try this test - take out an esoteric fuse and stick in a standard Bussman fuse, and see if that sounds better or worse or the same. Alas that person is not prepared to try that simple test. I guess having paid hundreds of dollars per fuse he is a little wary of the possibility there is no difference.
The magic fuses sound even more far-fetched to me than the magic cables do, especially when the fuse is carrying just DC, not a signal containing voltage.

@wiseoldtech

Please be careful not to violate the rules of civil coexistence and tries to have civil behavior.

Surely you thought my comment was provocative (just because almost all your comments often seem to be), well it wasn't at all.
I was very serious, just as I'm right now.

So, do you think that the sound of flowing water of a waterfall is influenced by the rate of humidity of the air?
Or, maybe do you think that the sound of a thunder is influenced by hunidity?
I don't think so at all.

Yet I think that the mechanical and physical characteristics of a drive/speaker are influenced by the air humidity rate, just as an example.
And also our mood and therefore the ability to listen critically.

You insulted me by attacking me in vain because maybe you possibly translate everything into a struggle, and I can even understand it, I don't judge you.

Anyway, when a minimum of relationship with people is established, and we did it - hardly, but still did it - why do you think others are ready to stab you?

I just wanted to converse with you, but you didn't realize that.
I made a simple comment which you chose to make into a complicated bunch of something I'm not buying into.
Now stop.

Some of what Dick Burwen said was right and some was wrong. Scientifically wrong. Power cables can have an effect if they act like EMI/RFI filters on AC line noise. For Burwen to claim power cables couldn't affect sound was not all that different from:
"Lord Kelvin in 1895 stated that “heavier-than-air flying machines are impossible”, only to be proved definitively wrong just eight years later."
https://www.newscientist.com/article/dn13556-10-impossibilities-conquered-by-science/#:~:text=Lord Kelvin is probably the,wrong just eight years later.

Its that people don't know necessarily know how much they don't know. Can't blame them exactly. OTOH human overconfidence bias is ubiquitous on both sides of controversial issues.

Last edited:
There is some general discussion about cables acting as filters at eevblog, but as they say it depends on specifics: https://www.eevblog.com/forum/beginners/can-a-wire-behave-like-a-filter/
IOW, the idea itself is not implausible to an EE.

There are also anecdotal reports by EEs who have investigated power cords affecting sound and found the RFI/EMI incursion was the problem, which fitting a proper AC line filter then eliminated. That is hardly implausible.

Also, I have seen proprietary RF spectrum analysis of AC power line noise and various ways to suppress it from getting into audio equipment, but its not something available to share.]

Do I know of a journal article on the subject? No. Can't imagine why anyone would bother when results would depend very much on specific conditions.

So this boils down to a very rare possibility, provided that the amp is susceptible to a certain emi frequence and amplitude, provided there is a matching em noise around, provided that just these 2 meters of power cord make an audible difference, be it as a filter or as an antenna. I would not exclude this possibility totally. Anyway it is far fetched to compare such rare effect with the obvious possibility of aviation.

The magic fuses sound even more far-fetched to me than the magic cables do, especially when the fuse is carrying just DC, not a signal containing voltage.

They are not doing that - they are carrying AC. Either 60Hz in the US and 50Hz elsewhere. So when the voltage is in one direction the electrons shuffle one way, and when the voltage is in the other direction the electrons shuffle the other way. The amount they shuffle, peak to peak, is about the diameter of a human hair.

For an interconnect carrying audio, the electrons shuffle back and forth by less than the wavelength of visible light.

The only application in which a fuse in an audio setting is used for DC is between the power supply and a power amplifier. So if there is a fault, the fuse blows. The consequences of not putting fuses there are dire. I had a Krell KSA100 where a power transistor blew. There were no fuses between the monster power supply and the amp boards - and the drivers and load resistors burned clean through the circuit board. It was a hell of a mess. Plumes of acrid smoke.

...it is far fetched to compare such rare effect with the obvious possibility of aviation.
I don't think it necessarily is from a cognitive psychological perspective. Humans have some well known cognitive biases.
One in particular that comes to mind here is, WYSIATI Bias, which affects both decision making and judgements. A brief introduction to the subject at:
https://facilethings.com/blog/en/what-you-see-is-all-there-is

Also, some other commentary at: https://jeffreysaltzman.wordpress.com/2013/04/08/wysiati/

BTW, any possibility of aviation was not at all obvious at the time Lord Kelvin made his statement. He was one of the great scientists of history: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_Thomson,_1st_Baron_Kelvin Not likely he missed something obvious for his time.

Last edited:
...this boils down to a very rare possibility...
Forgot to say something about that. It wasn't always standard to have audio equipment fitted with filtered IEC power inlet modules. Also, the level of household environmental RFI/EMI is much greater now than it was before things like wi-fi, cordless phones, cell phones, etc., came into common usage.

Some people still have equipment with unfiltered IEC power inlet modules, or with hard-wired power cords. Not so surprising in today's world if that causes some problems.

In addition, some audiophiles remove filtered IEC modules and replace them with unfiltered versions because they are suspicious that the ferrites in filtered modules might have an adverse affect on the sound. Of course, such a possibility would be another subject maybe for another time.

Sometimes, reading about some of these carefully referenced comments about virtually any subject and scattered a bit everywhere that I’m sure IMO no one will ever read, or if any then they will be IMO superficially read, I wonder: "Cui prodest?".
In English: "Who benefits from it?".

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.