Audio commentary on Facebook,

Is like a bunch of teenagers,

All talking at once.

95%+ noob stuff.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210124-151702_Browser.jpg
    Screenshot_20210124-151702_Browser.jpg
    287.5 KB · Views: 252
Through numerous measurements and comparisons he proved that cables can really sound different, even when sticking to engineering understanding only, and not really using subjective opinion as well.
Audio cables of different properties sounding different is already known. There is a chart for speaker cable length and conductor thickness for hi-fi setup.

It's not exclusive to audio. I read cycling forum where the same heated exchanges take place on subjects like how to increase speed, which bicycle frame is more aerodynamic, what does lighter bicycle do or don't do for the rider... etc. I've seen cussing over chain lube claims. :crazy: Then there are shills who do the same thing you see here. :Pinoc:

Ever been on a sailing forum before? There are people who will argue about the value of spending $2500 to save half a pound, arguments over the benefits of low-stretch halyards, and then the ever-continuing discussion about sails... Then someone inevitably points out that all of that is a moot point if you miss one shift that your competitor didn't miss, so you're better off spending money on coaches.

Note that this probably doesn't occur in the world of cruising (not that I would know), but it's certainly the case in racing. Of course, cusswords are contraband on this forum, while they typically aren't on sailing forums.

Audio commentary on Facebook,

Is like a bunch of teenagers,

All talking at once.

95%+ noob stuff.

Honestly, sometimes I do visit other forums, and I'm reminded that this place is probably in the top 1% when it comes to audio forums.

As much as I can get aggravated by the "subjectivists" who blow off engineering, I spent some time reading a few threads over on ASR (Audio Science Review), and it reminded me of the other side of the other issue in this regard, which is relying too heavily on too few measurements.

To be clear, ASR is a great forum and it's nice to see some good objective reviews. Objective measurements are a good thing, however, it's important to remember that there is a big difference between "can't be measured" and "isn't being measured".

I think this forum generally has a healthy balance of the two.

Of course, cusswords are contraband on this forum, while they typically aren't on sailing forums.
Sounds like same dance different tune. But what about shills, do they post there too?

To be clear, ASR is a great forum and it's nice to see some good objective reviews.
I'm wary of that forum because the founder / administrator of that forum owns a boutique electronics store and his online efforts have been geared towards promoting the sales for his store.

Cables has got to be the funniest one of all. The new trend for 're-calibration' is the icing on the cake.

I wonder how many people around here are completely, 100% immune from the cable meme. I am. No cable in my system cost more than a couple of quid except for some £15 cables I bought many years ago.

The idea of burning in cables provides great entertainment. I pay tribute to the creative people who came up with cable lifters. Cryogenic and heat treatments was genius.

Cryo treatment absolutely affects the metal. You can take a batch of drill bits split it in half and cryo one half and then cnc drill holes and see how long they last. The cryo drills will outperform the non cryo by almost 2 to 1. So if its changing the metal enough to change performance that much it is plausable it affects sound. I am not saying it does. I am just saying there is a valid reason to think it might.

So if its changing the metal enough to change performance that much it is plausable it affects sound.
Have you ever watched TV show called MythBusters? They use the term plausible after some investigation via objective tests to see if the rumor / claims / theories hold water. Have you seen or read about the listening test of cryo treated audio cables?

I am not saying it does. I am just saying there is a valid reason to think it might.
Validity would come after some level investigation, no? :scratch1:

Joined 2017
Paid Member
...tribute to the creative people who came up with cable lifters.

I remember when I regularly went to that hifi-shop to drool at those mark levinson, onix and other brands, connected by inch-thick wires...I once was chatting about cables and made a joke—to place the cables in perfect horizontal position for perfection... he said nothing until he saw my grin...

But I am certainly susceptible to cable-magic just because it’s fun (and I once was concinced I heard a difference)...

Joined 2014
Paid Member
Cryo treatment absolutely affects the metal
Correction. It affects IRON. Not copper, not silver. Oh and the fancy pants superconducting stuff Jneutron uses.

Lead doesn't like cryo treatment which is why IBM never got a Josephson junction to work in a computer. And ex-IBMers I have spoken to will never admit how many cubic dollars they spent on the effort. Truth will out one day I am sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.