Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's really more of a parlor trick than a useful skill. Much easier (and more accurate) to use well-known music tracks to check for peaks & dips. (Assuming we've decided to leave the measurement mic in the truck, of course.)

It's pretty useful.
I was at a Yes concert, years ago, seated near one of the soundboards.
One of the speakers in an obvoiusly huge conglomerate of speakers ( the colosseum sears 21000 for concerts). I saw him track it down and shut down the amps for it within about 15 seconds after I first noticed it.
I could only hear one was blown. Things were so loud there was little chance of me telling which direction the bad one was.

Last edited:
For you and me: I did speak to Jack Bybee in detail this week about improving digital reproduction.
Stax Headphones.jpg
Hi John.
Today I pulled my Stax SR-X headphones and transformer/HV generator box out of archives, perhaps not quite the same as the Stax setup that you have.
Anyway, I am reliving a bunch of HP audio fun that I had forgotten about.
These ES headphones are interestingly and specially different to magnetic headphones.
My filters take these to the next level.
A yarn with Jack would be interesting and fun.....good, honest and productive fun.

Dan.

Last edited:
If the grounding boxes are those filled with Welsh coal, the dousing rod is nought but the connection to ground.

Spare the rod as the say, it has better uses. Dan no need to listen it's the usual.

YouTube

EDIT - Sorry this guy's phono setup is do-do, this album sounds fine.

EDIT EDIT - I kid you not Youtube gave me this next as a "you might like this", I might have to reconsider my stand on AI. YouTube

Last edited:
Spare the rod as the say, it has better uses. Dan no need to listen it's the usual.

YouTube

EDIT - Sorry this guy's phono setup is do-do, this album sounds fine.

EDIT EDIT - I kid you not Youtube gave me this next as a "you might like this", I might have to reconsider my stand on AI. YouTube

I well remember all that as a kid.
One trip to visit family (we lived in Scotland - family in Yorkshire), my parents detoured past a mine on the way to Hull so I could see / speak to miners.
Mum gave me £2 of my spending money for their collection bucket, that was the first time I saw a Man cry.
The second time was my father at my grand-dad Pop's (dads father) funeral two days later.
The miner shared half a jam sarnie and a cuppa tea with me while stood round the barrel.
Part of my 'Life' education.

The coal that gets burnt in the Flying Scotsman is 'Boutique', comes (maybe used to) from a private mine, which I've visited / been down.

You too sound like someone who's never done audio DBT.

Yes, and you haven't done a lick of research to understand anything about powering studies. Not to mention your entire posting history is pretty much just telling people they're wrong without any substance. If you want to pretend to be grounded in scientific principles, you're going to need to up your game.

I've done n=1 (me) software generated blind testing for my own edification, but no positive or negative controls, much less characterize my internal consistency to determine a priori my statistical methods and endpoints. And hardly any training before the test, which I'm sure you know is important to tighten your variance. Nor concerned myself with fatigue characterization and figuring out how much I test in a single go before I need to boot up an additional session.

Of course I appreciate you've done all this and done it on population scales wide enough to build reliable distributions of the human envelope.

Playing around with dbts on your computer with a single untrained subject and a n of twenty trials on a single sample is fun and sufficiently satisfying for that person to make decisions about his or her playback, but has essentially zero weight for generalization.

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2017
Last edited:
I knew it. You are not alone. I've seen posts like yours bunch of times online.

and you haven't done a lick of research to understand anything about powering studies.
:rolleyes: What an odd response from a poster who wants to defend another poster who criticizes audio DBT without any personal experience which I called out.
You owe it to yourself to do some research on audio DBT before mouthing off what it is or isn't. It's not like what you think.

Not to mention your entire posting history is pretty much just telling people they're wrong without any substance.
I've called out wrong statements for what they are and explained when needed. Your lack of understanding of the subject would make it appear "without any substance" but that's just your uninformed opinion.

If you want to pretend to be grounded in scientific principles, you're going to need to up your game.
You need to up your game by actually doing an audio DBT. There are certain things that are better understood by doing it. If that's too much for you, talk to those who have done it or read about those who documented their audio DBT.

I've done n=1 (me) software generated blind testing for my own edification, but no positive or negative controls, much less characterize my internal consistency to determine a priori my statistical methods and endpoints. And hardly any training before the test, which I'm sure you know is important to tighten your variance. Nor concerned myself with fatigue characterization and figuring out how much I test in a single go before I need to boot up an additional session.

Of course I appreciate you've done all this and done it on population scales wide enough to build reliable distributions of the human envelope.

Playing around with dbts on your computer with a single untrained subject and a n of twenty trials on a single sample is fun and sufficiently satisfying for that person to make decisions about his or her playback, but has essentially zero weight for generalization.
Your continual armchair quarterback-ing of audio DBT is silly. It may not appear that way to you but after seeing it done by others multiple times online, it is. As already mentioned in my first paragraph, you are not alone and definitely not the first one to act such way.

Status
Not open for further replies.