Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sadly true about the Cav (and normal KC) spaniels. So much so that the BBC stopped showing the annual Crufts dog show when the winner one year had just that condition. Without wishing to break any rules the respective Kennel clubs around the world have done us and our furry friends a huge disservice with a lot of the breed standards. But they have been cleaning their acts up at last.

I have a German Shepard (from old stock, nearer the original stock, Kennel club wont recognise him)...
On the good side though my little puppy is now 9 months old and weighs 7 stone approx. (44kg) (And goes to doggy training classes, run by someone who does police dogs).

The standard show German Shepherd now requires such a downward slope from the shoulders that some of them look like they have rear legs from dachshunds and as a result are quite a structurally unsound animal.

Thank god there are still working dogs who can maintain some integrity within the breed.

It's frustrating as hell, that article. If you skim the bolded headings (as I did), it almost reads like a debunk at first. But as soon as you get into the body text, he goes shooting down the rabbit hole like a bottle rocket.

Yup, this seems to be a 'thing' nowadays - Myths and Snake OIL : Empirical Audio

The audiofool version of a false flag attack?

OR maybe i just didn't notice the dynamic crushing effect of my stranded mains cables.......

Last edited:
😀

Attachments

• FB_IMG_1472262804906.jpg
    FB_IMG_1472262804906.jpg
    21.6 KB · Views: 197
I just stumbled across a thread elsewhere on this forum on "hypercube speakers". Apparently, because the enclosure isn't a right rectangular prism, all sorts of magical things happen, including a doubling of speaker efficiency across the entire frequency range, and the complete failure of the Thiele-Small equations. :rolleyes:

But the best part is that:

"The woofer excursion was visibly obvious at low frequencies when the speakers were used at a new location in 3-space for about at (sic) first 15 minutes or so, but after that they appeared to move through a progressively decreasing distance as they generated sound - particularly at the lower frequencies, until they appeared not to move at all."
How about that. The speakers know what bass output they'll be called upon to put out tomorrow, so they go ahead and magically generate it now, and then stop moving, job well done...:eek:

More pseudo-scientific drivel mixed in with occasionally plausible-sounding statements can be found here: Random Distributionz

Notably, no product is actually being sold in this case; the disconnect from reality appears to be genuine, rather than the more usual outright lying inspired by fiscal greed.

-Gnobuddy

"The woofer excursion was visibly obvious at low frequencies when the speakers were used at a new location in 3-space for about at (sic) first 15 minutes or so, but after that they appeared to move through a progressively decreasing distance as they generated sound - particularly at the lower frequencies, until they appeared not to move at all."

Hee! Maybe they're just describing driver excursion at port resonance? As in, they hooked their Theremin up to it, and watched the cone as they waved their hands back and forth. But what do I know - I'm a sealed hypercube man myself...

Joined 2016
Paid Member
I just stumbled across a thread elsewhere on this forum on "hypercube speakers". Apparently, because the enclosure isn't a right rectangular prism, all sorts of magical things happen, including a doubling of speaker efficiency across the entire frequency range, and the complete failure of the Thiele-Small equations. :rolleyes:

But the best part is that:

How about that. The speakers know what bass output they'll be called upon to put out tomorrow, so they go ahead and magically generate it now, and then stop moving, job well done...:eek:

More pseudo-scientific drivel mixed in with occasionally plausible-sounding statements can be found here: Random Distributionz

Notably, no product is actually being sold in this case; the disconnect from reality appears to be genuine, rather than the more usual outright lying inspired by fiscal greed.

-Gnobuddy

Aaargh.... You need a tinfoil hat on to read that stuff :D
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=evlrs5Bi_6E

I think we should immediately conduct research to extend that 15-minute interval between cone movement and the actual emission of sound. Wouldn't it be nice if we could rent a pair of really good speakers for a day, and use them to stock up the air in our living rooms with all the music we plan to listen to for the next year? :scratch2:

-Gnobuddy

Status
Not open for further replies.