Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Funny you should mention that. There is family lore that we (kids are visiting from out of town) were discussing just yesterday related to the conception of my first son one dark night over 4 decades ago in my father-in-law's asparagus patch. Or was it under the big Beech tree?

Clear example of a similar switch-off of the human brain. ;-)

Of course the switched off human brain is just a figure of speech. Some scientist might drop in and point out that a great deal of the brain was still required to accomplish many of the things that happened, and that it was just the higher judgement areas of the brain that were largely but still only partially disabled.

I knew the possible consequences of my actions, but at the moment I just didn't care... ;-)

Yes. Can't disagree with that!

How the mighty have fallen. Telefunken used to be considered the Rolls Royce of the audio world. Now they are reduced to this:
Telefunken THE Junior Compact Alarm Clock FM Radio Iphone 4 5 6 MP3 Ipod Dock | eBay

A Chinese manufacturer probably bought the brand name at a knockdown price.

Telefunken is still german-owned (Telefunken -HOME) except a brand name licensee in the USA who produces professional equipment (TELEFUNKEN-ELEKTROAKUSTIK.COM | TELEFUNKEN Elektroakustik™ -) with the Germans blessing.

Telefunken appears to have a better reputation abroad than in Germany.
Having grown up in Germany myself I will always think of them as the producer of cheap tat and that clock radio is exactly what I would expect from them.
Having had a quick glance at their history it becomes clear that Telefunken used to develop and produce high-quality professional kit and cheap'n'nasty consumer fodder. Unfortunately that consumer fodder is all that I remember them for having grown up in the '70s.

Originally posted by Charles Darwin
I will always think of them as the producers of cheap tat
My memories revolve around their excellent professional/studio gear and I wasn't exposed to the cheap tat you refer to.

It's also interesting to note that Normende and Loewe have a dubious reputation on the local market whilst they were/are marketed as prestgious brands overseas.

To the best of my memory Loewe were always one of the more upmarket televisions.

Nordmende I remember mostly from catalogue retailers.

In home hifi terms Nordmende, Telefunken and ITT SchaubLorenz were the bottom, Grundig and Braun the middle and Revox at the top.
On the turntable front Dual covered bottom to middle and Thorens middle to top with their various models.

To the best of my memory Loewe were always one of the more upmarket televisions.

Number 1 for part/build quality. For an example, do a search for (crt) tv boards.
Till the entry of plasma tv's, the ones by other brands didn't even come close.
Loewe used all FR4 boards, at a time when all others were not.

Build quality of lcd tv's by Loewe was also the very best, but no longer sufficient demand at the accompanying price level, reason for the bankruptcy in 2014.

Long long time ago, Nordmende manufactured rather good radios, also smart looking.

Last edited:
It all starts here, but there are at last 25 other relevant documents that can be found using google.

AES E-Library High-Resolution Subjective Testing Using a Double-Blind Comparator
I don't have access to the AES article.
Arney, I am asking more detail of the testing setups that are quoted in your's and other tests.

QSC used to manufacture this ABX test box -
abx.jpg
QSC ABX_manual.pdf
SPECIFICATIONS
Functionality:
Calibration Mode
Amplifier A selectable; Channels 1 and 2 individually selectable
Amplifier B selectable; Channels 1 and 2 individually selectable
Calibrating Signal selected automatically
Trim control: 100 mV per step. Up to 2 Vrms max.
Calibrating Signal Display Range: 00.0 to 99.9 Vrms ±0.1 Vrms tolerance
Trial Mode
Audio signal “X” in each trial is selected randomly and automatically.
Trials will begin with number “01” and go up to “25,” maximum.
Judgment selections are made by pressing buttons A or B, then ENTER.
The next trial will begin immediately when the ENTER button is pressed, up until trial number 25.
The LCD will display the results and percentage.
Review Mode
Trial review will start with number “01” and go up to last trial of the session, with the ABX Comparator
recalling data from memory.
With each trial reviewed, the LCD will display the trial number and will identify both X and the
listener’s selection.
Audio Performance
Audio input and output
Input Stage: Mechanically balanced differential, electrically passive
Differential input impedance: 200 kilohms balanced and 100 kilohms unbalanced
Output stage type: Single-ended
THD+N (20 Hz –20 kHz): Less than 0.05%
Frequency response (20 Hz–20 kHz): +0, -0.1dB
Calibrating Signal
1 kHz, 1 Vrms sine wave (level externally adjustable)

Those specs are very not flash....I was being polite, they are hopeless.

Dan.

Last edited:

Of course you do. Anybody can access AES articles over the web. It just takes a few bucks - some tiny fraction of the cost of a high end audiophile cable, for example.

Of course I understand that audiophiles can spend $thousands on snake oil audio components without batting an eyelash, but $20 for real science is often mission impossible.

Arny, I am asking more detail of the testing setups that are quoted in your's and other tests.

Here's a link to some of the technical details of the original ABX Comparator:

ABX Double Blind Comparator Hardware

Here's a link to a currently commercially available ABX comparator:

avahifi - The AVA ABX Comparator Switchbox

Here is a description of the wiring of an ABX test of some digital audio hardware:

http://www.bostonaudiosociety.org/bas_speaker/abx_testing2.htm

Last edited:
Arney, I am asking more detail of the testing setups that are quoted in your's and other tests.

QSC used to manufacture this ABX test box -
View attachment 529844
QSC ABX_manual.pdf

Those specs are very not flash....I was being polite, they are hopeless.

We had nothing to do with the design or construction of any ABX gear but our own. The QSC box is rated very conservatively. I have one on hand - it works far better than you might want to think.

Here are the schematics of the components of our ABX Box:

Relay driver circuits:

ABX0001.jpg

Relay contact wiring

ABX0002.png

Hand held controller wiring

ABX0003.jpg

Logic and control unit schematic

ABX0004.jpg

We had nothing to do with the design or construction of any ABX gear but our own. The QSC box is rated very conservatively. I have one on hand - it works far better than you might want to think.
Line level is my concern.

Here are the schematics of the components of our ABX Box:......
Why 33R earthing resistors, and where is the level matching ?.

Dan.

Line level is my concern.

Our goal for our switching equipment was audibly silent and transient-free switching, even when comparing phono and mic preamps. If you can do that, line level is a slam dunk.

Why 33R earthing resistors,

You don't know?

Common practice for balanced circuits. Reduces the probability of hum and noise in some situations.

and where is the level matching?.

Hopefully in the UUT's.

If not, added on by appropriate means which can vary all over the map depending on what kind of UUT's are involved.

Our goal for our switching equipment was audibly silent and transient-free switching, even when comparing phono and mic preamps. If you can do that, line level is a slam dunk.
Yeah ok, correct switching to eliminate switching transient noise.
Layouts and loop areas are quite critical.
You don't know?
Common practice for balanced circuits. Reduces the probability of hum and noise in some situations.
Ok, I missed balanced connection.
Still, all connections including earths must be switched to eliminate earth current cross pollution of audio signals, more especially when running unbalanced.
Hopefully in the UUT's.
If not, added on by appropriate means which can vary all over the map depending on what kind of UUT's are involved.
Yeah, ok, so what really is "appropriate means which can vary over the map" ?.
Adding attenuators of undefined characteristic and causing common earths is changing the equation by adding extra variables that deviate the DUT's from their original usage conditions.

Dan.

Yeah ok, correct switching to eliminate switching transient noise.
Layouts and loop areas are quite critical.

Ok, I missed balanced connection.
Still, all connections including earths must be switched to eliminate earth current cross pollution of audio signals, more especially when running unbalanced.

Not true. Like I said, we achieved audibly transient free switching of both phono cartridges and microphones.

Why should one accept such hyper-generalties from someone who doesn't recognize wihtout being told several times what are clearly schematics for balanced circuits?

Yeah, ok, so what really is "appropriate means which can vary over the map" ?.

It means understanding that the appropriate means for audio attenuation varies with the circumstance. That's not a run-around, it is simple truth.

I'm not here to teach a class in grounding or signal switching - there is a ton that is now published about it if you know where to look. Unfortunately it was mostly published after 1983, which means that back in the day many people had to work it out for themselves.

Adding attenuators of undefined characteristic and causing common earths is changing the equation by adding extra variables that deviate the DUT's from their original usage conditions.

That's what I've been trying to convey!

Of course our attenuators and other matching devices de jour were not undefined, and had passed relevant performance tests of both a technical and subjective nature.

Being credentialed (mostly degreed) and experienced audio engineers we knew that we would have to address that issue. We used generally accepted technical practice, plus whatever we had to invent, to monitor performance and implement solutions that avoided that problem.

For example, the schematics I just published implement a novel (never ever seen it described any place else) highly reliable means for transient-free audio switching that is also described in the AES paper. Only took me about a year and a few generations of prototypes to figure it out. ;-) If you know what it is, it is common sense - stupid dumb.

Status
Not open for further replies.