Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
.....It is also instructive to listen to the tweeters only and mute all the rest. Amazing how low the level is from the supers, very low, because I probably only hear the lower part of their spectrum and that is rolled off below 10kHz. Yet I can tell (at least I think I can) when they are on or off with the mains going at reasonable level.

Jan
How many modern esotec turntables have covers ?....IME, none of them.
Ever tried running a TT with the system muted ?....yeah that stylus makes an amazing amount of HF sound that is easily/clearly audible, and from far away.
I contend that this extra HF acoustic energy is part of the TT preference factor.
And yes, I have run ribbon tweeters bled in via a low value series polystyrene cap, and the deliberately slight extra HF 'air' can be quite agreeable.

Dan.

Last edited:
Just coincidently this morning I connected a pair of supertweeters from Visaton to my system, in preparing for our SACD/CD difference testing later this year. The main speaker is a wideband Tangband supported by a trio of subwoofers below 50Hz, but mostly I leave the subs off as I don't really miss them too much.

Initailly I crossed the supertweeters over at 8kHz with 12dB/Oct butterworths. Indeed I feel the need to roll off the main Tangbands at the same frequency to keep a balanced soundfield, although I did feel the supers improve the high end.
Later I moved the xover to 10kHz.

It is also instructive to listen to the tweeters only and mute all the rest. Amazing how low the level is from the supers, very low, because I probably only hear the lower part of their spectrum and that is rolled off below 10kHz. Yet I can tell (at least I think I can) when they are on or off with the mains going at reasonable level.

Jan

What does the measurement look like without the super tweeter ? Many moons ago, radio shack used to sell a super tweeter that was a big hit amongst the college crowd. It did make a difference on those systems with young eàrs to match ..

How many modern esotec turntables have covers ?....IME, none of them.
Ever tried running a TT with the system muted ?....yeah that stylus makes an amazing amount of HF sound that is easily/clearly audible, and from far away.
I contend that this extra HF acoustic energy is part of the TT preference factor.
And yes, I have run ribbon tweeters bled in via a low value series polystyrene cap, and the deliberately slight extra HF 'air' can be quite agreeable.

Dan.

Interesting. I've got a modest Dual tt, and I do prefer it without the dust cover.
And I've never tried a polystyrene cap I didn't like.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
What does the measurement look like without the super tweeter ? Many moons ago, radio shack used to sell a super tweeter that was a big hit amongst the college crowd. It did make a difference on those systems with young eàrs to match ..

The main speaker is flat up to 17kHz or so, within a few dB.
I get some guys here tomorrow to do acoustical measurements in my living room.
I'll see what they think.

Jan

John Atkinson applies mass damping.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    185.9 KB · Views: 214
Just coincidently this morning I connected a pair of supertweeters from Visaton to my system, in preparing for our SACD/CD difference testing later this year. The main speaker is a wideband Tangband supported by a trio of subwoofers below 50Hz, but mostly I leave the subs off as I don't really miss them too much.

Initailly I crossed the supertweeters over at 8kHz with 12dB/Oct butterworths. Indeed I feel the need to roll off the main Tangbands at the same frequency to keep a balanced soundfield, although I did feel the supers improve the high end.
Later I moved the xover to 10kHz.
Jan
Are these the 8" tang bands? I've only ever tried 2" Jordans for full rangers, but am wondering if the tangbands beam enough at upper mid/ treble frequencies to be good at reducing room reflections.

Marce, you are wasting your time trying to get Frank to tell you anything worthwhile. That's why he's on my IGNORE list. You could tell him the sky is blue and he would argue about it for 5 more pages.

So you know how listening to certain kinds of hifi systems leaves you unsatisfied? Like the basic reproduction is ok but there is something unsatisfying, even annoying, that ruins your enjoyment? Like some sort of almost-intangible noise or distortion hovering at the edge of your consciousness. Something that makes the otherwise-pleasant music unpleasant, even unlistenable? Well, that is the effect that Frank has on me on this forum. The constant annoying distortions, the rejection of fact-based analysis, the assumption that he is immune from normal psychoacoustic responses, the inapt automotive analogies, the assertions that he has done "something" unspecified that "put right" some equally-unspecified problems... All in all, he degraded the S/N ratio here and added non-harmonic distortion. I have finally followed your advice and added him to my ignore list (first and so far only). I cannot express how much this has improved my enjoyment of this forum. It's like a veil has been lifted. The background noise is quieter, I find myself more involved in the discussions, less tense wondering what Frank will say, more able to hear the micro-details of intelligent discussion. In fact, I was reading this forum tonight when my wife, who doesn't even like online forums, rushed in from the kitchen, crying "What did you change? You usually are cursing out loud when you read DIYAudio, but tonight you sound much happier!"

To be serious for a moment, I think it is important that fora like this are open and free, and it is equally important that no voices are silenced, that even those who are demonstrably wrong have their say. But, conversely, it is important that those who have real contributions to make not be drowned out by those who do not. Blocking anyone's voice is not something I take lightly, but I had to do it to enjoy this forum, and i do not regret it.

Oh dear ... I guess I'm off that Christmas card list too - shame, that ... :sad:. Hopefully, one or two here may get something or other from my "contributions" ... :)

Interestingly, the tension you describe is exactly what conventional audio does for me, the type which is "demonstrably" right ;), and which likewise is only tolerable in short stretches.

So-called "high end" audio has been stuck in a rut for decades, and it's about time that it lifted its game somewhat - the amount of silliness and attitude that infests the place is certainly putting off the younger crowd, and it would only take one listen of a severely compromised, highly unbalanced, ambitious system to make them think, "What a load of crap this audiophile stuff is!".

So, I feel injecting a countering view, confrontational to some, is well worth it - inducing perhaps just one or two to think more deeply about things, and possibly - glory be! - enticing them to try a few "daring" experiments ...

Last edited:
So, I feel injecting a countering view, confrontational to some, is well worth it - inducing perhaps just one or two to think more deeply about things, and possibly - glory be! - enticing them to try a few "daring" experiments ...

You missed the point Frank. Again.

The problem is that you are NOT injecting a countering view. There is nothing in your posts that sets out in any coherent way what it is that you actually do and what you actually achieve.

With the total lack of detail no-one young or old is in a position to recreate your experiments to see if there is anything in them. Sans that, there is nothing to take away from your posts apart from your obvious enjoyment in your experimenting (for which I have previously commended you).

I must say though, I appreciate that you have gotten under the skin of others to the extent that they write wittily referential posts like nezbleu's. Well done that man!

Remarkable is the repetition of this refrain that I don't specify what I do, and what I achieve - obviously there is a lack of ability to read by some, or perhaps it's that they require extreme handholding to achieve anything - in the realm of, find this particular area of a component in a step by step, car manual approach, with multiple photos of each viewpoint.

The countering view I present is that the 'standard way' of doing audio is unlikely to allow convincing reproduction to happen - one may fluke it, perhaps only at times when all the winds blow in the right direction - but there is an alternative way, an approach which can get one much closer to realising high quality sound, every time.

Since it's about the approach, and not using a step by step, recipe technique, that makes it bit harder for some to "get" - but that doesn't invalidate its value.

Status
Not open for further replies.