Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
This is why an almost nothing PC speaker setup, intelligently tweaked, can trounce an ultra expensive, bling infested creation, in the 'musicality' stakes, say - the former is getting key things right, things which are totally wrong in the latter ...

LOL

musicality? define~? You like analagies, soooo here goes

whats the point in upgrading from 720 to 1080 resolution on your tv screen if you are looking at it from outside through a fogged up window???

Speakers man, the weakest link, the biggest affect, the most important place to start. All else is fidling with the last 0.1%

Speakers man, the weakest link, the biggest affect, the most important place to start. All else is fidling with the last 0.1%
If one has not experienced what 'cheap' speakers are capable of, if driven properly, that's probably what the conclusion would be. Of course, 'cheap' speakers are normally driven by 'cheap' electronics, and connected together with even cheaper physical bits and pieces - but very few get that there may be some linkage there ... ;)

LOL

musicality? define~? You like analagies, soooo here goes

whats the point in upgrading from 720 to 1080 resolution on your tv screen if you are looking at it from outside through a fogged up window???

I heard this theory demonstrated in a store once.
After watching them setting up a room for the then newest Wilson Audio model, the Sofia,with Macintosh top of line solid state electronics the week before, I heard the same speakers with a so called mid fi NAD CD player and small integrated amp.

The sound was excellent again, this time without the Richard Gray, or the MIT " loom".

I was beginning to get worried. Stereophile hadn't posted an obvious snake oil in a long time :confused:

BUT no worries now ;)

ENIGMAcoustics Sopranino electrostatic supertweeter | Stereophile.com

Seems that both Serinus and Atkinson think this $3690 per pair super tweeter is just what you need. Dedicated stands are $600.

I mean let's face it, all those other high end speakers out there obviously haven't already been designed for optimum performance in the frequency response category and any schmuck can purchase these and slap in on and it's "way better sound now" huh :confused:

Atkinson used both a 10kHz and 12kHz crossover frequency. He also states that his hearing is limited to just shy of 15kHz. ( no context though as to what volume levels he has to use to hear up to 15kHz though ;) ) Hmmmm wouldn't an EQ set to slightly boost this frequency range have done the same job?

Notice that by placing this device on your speakers that it lowers the impedance seen by the amp by a good margin and the phase combined with the low impedance could cause problems (amp cutting off or blowing fuses). How does the average Joe know which polarity to connect these super tweeters to your current speakers? Speakers have either positive or negative tweeter polarity and if you don't get it right, you'll end up with either boost or cancellation. Also placement of the super tweeter in relation to your current speaker's tweeter will cause the same effects. Not exactly a great product with so many variables to consider.

Also one of these tweeters stopped working while being tested. A great confidence builder for those that plunked down $3690.

While Atkinson does provide good testing and measurement techniques, he always ends up doing the wishy-washy recommendation thing at the end of every review.
Whoop-dee-do.

So, while not exactly what most would consider snake oil, it's really a useless not needed toy for those with too much money.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
While Atkinson does provide good testing and measurement techniques, he always ends up doing the wishy-washy recommendation thing at the end of every review.

I think you have to see through that. His foremost job is to insure the survival of the magazine. That means keeping readers and advertisers, which means you can't go around condemning all kinds of products. Yet, he does do sensible measurements that anybody can read and draw conclusions from.

The way I see it is that JA has succeeded to bring the interested readership sensible and worthwhile measurements in an advertisement supported publication. This is no mean feat and the fact that he is the only one pulling it off says enough. I think he should get more respect for it then he customary gets here.

jan

I was beginning to get worried. Stereophile hadn't posted an obvious snake oil in a long time :confused:
Whoop-dee-do.
John Atkinson is a politician who took the wrong career path.

@ Jan

Having dealt with JA on his forums over the years, it's plain that he doesn't want too much truth or when it comes to snake oil ANY truth be known about it. Making claims that he doesn't know what or how to test a power cord/cable/magic bowl or ANY device that might fall into the realm of snake oil just shows that he doesn't care, yet he let's people like Serinus talk on and on endlessly about all the snake oil virtues. What a crock. He would get a lot more respect if he addressed those issues.

By the way no comment on the item in question?

As to the item in question, as jloub I think remarked, a well designed loudspeaker can not be improved by this sort of add on.

but, on top of that, the idea of a horn loaded electrostat can only be conceived by someone who lacks basic understanding of acoustic matters.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.