Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
The peeking crowd has much longer delays between presentations. Sometimes hours.
Sure....and it's a PITA.
Also, relying on relatively long memory can throw a spanner in the works.

Foobar works quite smoothly for me, very short switching time; maybe check out your computer to see why it's taking longer for you? I've done it with switches and relays as well, but that's fairly clumsy.
My PC is a super duper Toshiba X505 18" laptop.....i7 CPU, 8 GB, Win 8 Pro...... I think that part ought to be ok :).

The switch over is abrupt...perhaps adjustable fade out/fade in time would be a nice improvement ?.

Dan.

Last edited:
Foobar causes a brief muting when selecting between A/B and X/Y.
Is there an ABX comparator freeware that switches between tracks seamlessly ?.

Dan.

Of course, your are right memory and other issues are confounders in a controlled listening test.
There are other tools out there, but i don´t know if any will avoid all related delays or muting time- i´d guess these are mainly introduced to get rid off any unwanted ticks that might occur at only one file.

If delays and mute are issues depends a bit on the question the test should address. Wrt to every day relevance any delay or mute should not influence the result as you are looking for "better" quality overall.
Anything only detectable with rapid switching would not be important (as you would not be able to notice after a couple of minutes, a day .....)

From my experience the most important point in this sort of test is to avoid to listen in a different way than you would normally do.
(Seems to be easy but it is not)

With foobar there is a chance to use it as a preference test tool.
Listen to A and B and try to find which one you like more, or which is more or less of this or that;
After that only listen to X and Y ; choose the one that you like more in each trial (or the one that has more of this or less of that) depending on your decision between A and B.
This way you dont have to listen for "sameness".

From my experience it is easier this way, the traditional "ABX" will take longer training time to get the same results.

This collage EE professor seems to be able to measure all sorts of differences in AC cords and power conditioners:

Is he actually a college prof? His profile just states EE.

An excerpt:

The IsoClean fuses are directional and there is an arrow printed on the glass case indicating the direction of current flow. Finding the direction of current flow in my amp's fuse holder was easy: I just tested for continuity between the hot male lead of the power cord plug and either end of the fuse holder. Continuity indicated the fuse holder end where the AC enters.

A rather interesting paragraph from an EE, no?

jn

Using both sides of the brain is my hunch .. ....

When my brain tries that, both sides argue for a while, then stomp off into their respective corners..

Regarding direction of current flow- I'm a carpenter, so maybe that's way beyond me; how do you get steady one directional current flow in an ac circuit?

Clearly it is not way beyond you..

Microdiodes ........ :)

No. Nano-diodes.

We are currently working on picodiodes, with femptodiodes not far behind. Attodiodes are presently on the blackboard, but that is military grade oil. I can tell you, but then I'd hafta kill ya..

The sister product, attoboys, were released decades ago by a researcher who left a cage open...sigh..

jn

Status
Not open for further replies.