Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
From personal experience, all sorts of factors have impact on the audible SQ - some are easy to explain, others not quite so straightforward. Personally, I prefer to consider what may be contributing to that impact, rather than blithely insist that the listener must be fooling themselves, as an easy way out.

Audio Fuses - A Big BFTB | | JaguarAudioDesign.com Blog | | JaguarAudioDesign.com Blog |

While we are discussing mains and power cords let us not forget the not so humble fuse...
Audio fuses come in 2 sizes, the 20mm (European, mini), used by most of today’s components and the 32mm (American), which is often found in older gear. Audio fuses are often directional…they have an arrow on the fuse that points in the direction of the current. You could ask your manufacturer which direction the current flows, but you can also just listen to it installed both ways; the wrong direction will sound out of phase. However, it’s not uncommon for an audiophile to be listening with the fuse in the wrong direction, without knowing.
being a little dumb could someone draw me a diagram of which way the mains current flows so I can put my fuse in the correct direction.

Guess what electricians as a breed are called in Oz ... ;)

Hard physical data may be some time coming - this ongoing thrashing between the two camps has lasted decades, and no-one seems interested in seriously investigating the finer points of sound quality, in regard to getting numbers - already done, or too hard, seem to be the standard rejoinders.

For me, the process is a version of troubleshooting: either the sound is sufficiently correct, or it's not; if the former I'll happily spend my time listening; if the latter, then I put on my working cap and see if I can come up with some "answers" ...

I'll tell you something worthwhile - learn how to listen to the quality of audio playback, so that you can hear the defects which stop the sound 'working' for you. In the same way that a car mechanic can, or could, appraise an engine's health by its various noises so can the audio listener 'tune' into the little signature distortions which point to where problems are ...

C'mon you know power cords dont make a difference and AC mains are pure...
:drink:

Sheeesh..what was I thinkin??;)

Complete miss.

The discussion has moved on to suppositions of pre-existing noise on the power line. You can inject as much noise as you like if you are deliberate, but the implied claim in a.wayne's post is/was that power lines are obnoxiously dirty to the point that it affects audio quality. So, what evidence exists to substantiate this position?

Or I am misrepresenting him. Feel free to correct me.

Two issues arise. First, PSRR of incoming noise. Dirty mains, blah blah, with any filtering designed into the PC. I seldom find that to be an issue, either at home, or in proximity to half megawatt 12 phase power supplies or tens of kilowatts of SCR based light dimmers in an auditorium. QSC seems to have that consideration well covered...heck, even the Numark bog standard mixer I used and my behringer UB805 dirt cheap mixer are designed well enough designed to reject significant line noise.

The ground loop between components, that is a different story. Balanced was susceptible due to pin 1 issues, and unbalanced is an EMC nightmare.

I suspect there are NO pieces of consumer equipment designed to counter ground loop injected noise to any EMC design criteria.

Sorry, but no.

Is there ANY evidence that under typical circumstances and using competent equipment, line noise contributes an audible interference in an audio playback circuit?

Yes. I have encountered such issues and solved them easily just by wire movement. See my gallery.

jn

If there was very high frequency noise at the mains socket, and the construction of the powercord changed the characteristic impedance as seen by the socket significantly, then there would be a mild filtering action ...
Currently I have a small Panasonic shelf system (tuner/cdp/usb/3.5 line in) on my lounge room coffee table, driving Kef Q30 floor standing speakers, Cat6 wired as parallel pairs.

Power is from the bathroom (far end of house AC supply circuit) via 10m extension cable into 4 way power board.
Except for the fridge, everything else in the house is turned off at the wall sockets, or unplugged.

I also have a Belkin PureAV power filter/switcher.
This Belkin box comes supplied with a very heavy/very thick 3 metre long, 3 pin to IEC power cable.

Here's the kicker......with the Panasonic plugged into the 4 way power board, just plugging the Belkin power lead (disconnected from the filter box) into the power board changes the Panasonic system sound, subtle but still a readily audible change.

Dan.

The subjective effect of the Belkin PureAV in circuit is another subject, for now.

Last edited:
Guess what electricians as a breed are called in Oz ... ;)

Hard physical data may be some time coming - this ongoing thrashing between the two camps has lasted decades, and no-one seems interested in seriously investigating the finer points of sound quality, in regard to getting numbers - already done, or too hard, seem to be the standard rejoinders.

I disagree, there is research going on into audibility and sound reproduction in certain fields that I know of from personal experience, and I would bet many audio companies (probably the middle road ones mentioned in another post, for good engineering) do...What I think is part of the problem is that there is not wide scale support for the "I can hear a wasp fa**" at 50m brigade and their often esoteric beliefs...
Plus even if the great architect came and hand delivered the facts (such as cables don't make a difference) it wouldn't be believed, because you believe you can hear a difference...and doing a DBT would prove either way that there is a sound difference but as we all know DBT proves nothing because they so often prove that the night and day difference you hear is all in your heads..............
I've started using electrode directly to my head I now get therapy and music at the same time...
twitch
twitch

David, I have a forehead that is now so calloused I rent it out for house demolition

Here's the kicker......with the Panasonic plugged into the 4 way power board, just plugging the Belkin power lead (disconnected from the filter box) into the power board changes the Panasonic system sound, subtle but still a readily audible change.

The lead on its own? if so its probably acting as an antenna, now I would use the dirty word that begins with "m" but I have stressed you all out to much today so we'll wipe the word measurements (Damm) from the dictionary.

Any views yet on directional fuses I brought up earlier:) I have found rotating my fuses 90 deg help reduce the noise.

...and doing a DBT would prove either way that there is a sound difference but as we all know DBT proves nothing because they so often prove that the night and day difference you hear is all in your heads..............
ABX testing is valid of course.
However, when testing fine differences, it can be difficult to remember which sound is which, ie easy to forget which sound is which.
This is/can be dependent on mood, attentiveness, fatigue, alcohol, etc....

On music and systems I know intimately, sometimes I repeatedly get 10/10, other times worse than chance.
Sighted testing is perfectly valid also, particularly when the change can be made on the fly...ie little or no music interruption between comparisons.

Dan.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.