Funniest snake oil theories

Status
Not open for further replies.
Your chosen analogies show how you think and that is the cause of your confusion. The example above assumes that the beauty of a woman is an objective thing which you could either see with your eyes or measure with an instrument.

It sounds like you have convinced yourself that your "critical" hearing experiences are solely caused by the sound field produced by the equipment you use. I assume this is because you have never been stumped by a DBT or you believe that psychoacoustics somehow don't apply to you when critically listening.

If psychoacoustics really don't apply to you, then this startling fact would be by far the most productive line of research for you and for others.

Hmm..

Actually, (I really hate it when someone replies starting with "actually", but :) there has probably been more objective research in this area than any other throughout the lineage of human philosophy. The concept of aesthetics naturally conjures the implication of visual media, although it in fact embraces all senses and even such esoterica as poetry and more.
The first and most obvious (to me) visual "rule" is the 1/3:2/3 criteria: easy to demonstrate.
Take a sheet of OHP paper, and draw from a point at one side three expanding lines: start with a horizontal median, then draw an expanding line 1/3rd below, then one expanding 2/3 above, or vice versa (you can turn it upside down - it doesn't matter); to be pedantic, you could say 15 degrees below the median, 30 degrees above.

Find a photo of what you deem to be an attractive human face, and apply the "gauge". For the most part, you will find that (and of course there are exceptions that break the rule) there are many facets within the features that conform: chin to middle of lips 2/3, middle of lips to base of nose 1/3; middle of lips to base of nose 1/3, base of nose to brow (top of nose) 2/3; base of chin to base of nose 1/3, base of nose to top of forehead 2/3; and so on. This rule is commonly applied elsewhere, for example an optimal view of horizon in a landscape picture is either 1/3:2/3 land/sky or the opposite.

P.S: Had my share of uggo's & I can tell you from 1st hand experience that there is no benefit. At the risk of making readers puke, I will say that my wife is gorgeous, and frankly the most obliging and lovely woman I have ever known. TF I got something right!:D

Last edited:
Oh dear god I have never heard more waffle. Go design and build an amp, and only then will you be close to qualified to converse with some of the incredible brains that frequent this forum. For the record, I can't design an amp, and I am not qualified either. But I have a nose and I can smell bullshi*t from a mile off.

This might be the wrong thread....but this thread is about theories.
Anyway, I spent a couple of hours ABing my car audio system with/without Large REGULAR Quantum Purifier - Bybee Technologies | DIY and OEM Product List.

My car stereo is nothing special...Sony CD/Radio (balanced speaker outputs) driving Energy speakers via Cat6.

These 'purifiers' do make a remarkable difference.
More later.

Dan.

Anyway, I spent a couple of hours ABing my car audio system with/without Large REGULAR Quantum Purifier - Bybee Technologies | DIY and OEM Product List.

My car stereo is nothing special...Sony CD/Radio (balanced speaker outputs) driving Energy speakers via Cat6.

More later.

Dan.
These things make an audible difference? Prove it.

-------------------------------------Rick---------------

More later.

Dan.

This will be interesting. The interior of a car is a remarkably complex environment to carry out listening tests in - the protocol alone will (should) run to pages...

Let us all pity the poor guy with the racks & racks of expensive testing gear who has to "set-up" his stuff...to test these endless streams of products that do no good whatsoever..........Of course the products must be purchased to test them.....If they are "loaned out" & the poor guy gets nothing, no data of improvement, invariably the creators of this puke will come along & tell you your protocols are flawed.....& rendered your data as faulty.

_____________________________________________________Rick.........

Of course you are.

I see. If you have a car that pulls badly to one side, and you notice, unlike nearly everone else, that a tyre on one side is severely deflated, and you fix up the slow leak that is causing that problem, the car now tracks true - what you've really done is "tune" the suspension by that action, correct?

Edit: I do realise what my problem is here ... I'm not filling my responses with very impressive technical jargon, to show I've got the goods - if you don't quite understand what I'm saying, but it sounds like a professor lecturing, then I must know what I'm talking about ... :)

Last edited:
To Bybee, or not to Bybee; that is a question. (Again)

More later.

Dan.

I bought some 2 years ago. Never thought the dif was more than subtle, more a step sideways than up or down. I found their best use was line level, in a passive filter/splitter . Popped in an identical box I made for friend, (to test with no bybees)couldn't really hear a difference more than the self cleaning action of unplugging, plugging in rca connectors. Best of luck to you sir.
If you hear a worthwhile change for you, it's worthwhile for you.
I can't hear them harming my signal, so they'll stay in; I won't be buying more, however.
I thought Cal Weldon had a thread on these last year...
It got pretty bloody!

Popped in an identical box I made for friend, (to test with no bybees)couldn't really hear a difference more than the self cleaning action of unplugging, plugging in rca connectors.
Which is where some of the answers may be ... less than optimum connections do degrade the sound, and the Bybees may effectively be a workaround for this - helps to reduce the distortion inducing mechanisms, if the user chooses not to keep the connections scrupulously pristine.

Which is where some of the answers may be ... less than optimum connections do degrade the sound, and the Bybees may effectively be a workaround for this - helps to reduce the distortion inducing mechanisms, if the user chooses not to keep the connections scrupulously pristine.

Into some seriously audiophoolery territory here.

Within the bounds of reason, what is the effect at line level of a termination that is oxidised ie has been exposed to normal atmospheric conditions for a reasonable period of time?

It may add some serial resistance, but the amount would be trivial unless the system is unstable to begin with.

It staggers me that people obsess about these external connectors and blindly disregard every header pin row inside the amp, source and any other component in the system....

Be that as it may, by what mechanism would the bybee device make any difference?

Within the bounds of reason, what is the effect at line level of a termination that is oxidised ie has been exposed to normal atmospheric conditions for a reasonable period of time?
To me it looks dangerously like a diodic junction, ie., it has some slight rectifying qualities. Which is a brilliant way of attracting RF interference, and some low level non-linearity - from experience, if I permanently make good a connection then some of the nastiness in the sound disappears ...

It staggers me that people obsess about these external connectors and blindly disregard every header pin row inside the amp, source and any other component in the system....
Exactly. So what do you think I worry about next, then?

Be that as it may, by what mechanism would the bybee device make any difference?
Possibly attenuating, damping some of the high frequency rubbish that is floating around, and being generated by the bad connections.

MIT, your experience is normal. It is difficult to hear Bybee devices, unless you really need one in that location. BUT, if you do need one, then you can improve even a cheap computer sound system. They are very expensive, and I sincerely suggest that people take care of virtually everything else in their playback system, before investing in Bybees. I have been able to experiment because I have been given some, and found this to be so, but since even a single Bybee is about 4 times the price of the computer amp-speaker add on, it might be better to invest in a better amp-speaker first.

To me it looks dangerously like a diodic junction, ie., it has some slight rectifying qualities. Which is a brilliant way of attracting RF interference, and some low level non-linearity - from experience, if I permanently make good a connection then some of the nastiness in the sound disappears ...

Exactly. So what do you think I worry about next, then?

Possibly attenuating, damping some of the high frequency rubbish that is floating around, and being generated by the bad connections.[/QUOTE]

Or, twist the connector and re-establish a reliable connection....

We have a house next to a surf beach and (as anyone in this situation will know) strong on-shore winds coat everything in corrosive salt spray. This includes the satellite dish for the TV and pretty much everything inside hte house.

And yet, the TV, stereo, microwave oven etc etc continue to function just fine.

Now, stereo and microwave are pretty "robust" units - not in the least elite gear and purchased with a view to incompetent use by ham-fisted fools. So their survival is not proof of ongoing exemplary performance!

However, if any signal was going to be shunted, blocked, diodically challenged and generally messed with, it would be the one from the dish to the decoder and on to the TV. And you would see it.

Not a flicker.

And yet, the TV, stereo, microwave oven etc etc continue to function just fine.

Now, stereo and microwave are pretty "robust" units - not in the least elite gear and purchased with a view to incompetent use by ham-fisted fools. So their survival is not proof of ongoing exemplary performance!
And the satellite dish connection would be of a digital signal, hence inbuilt error recovery and correction - analogue has no such luxuries ...

Audio will always function - almost always, doesn't take much of a dodgy battery connection in a remote to kill it! - but that's not the point. The word is, "degraded" - a slow reduction in quality which you may not be aware of, until the muck is cleared away - a window you look out each day may seem reasonably clear, until you clean just one half of it, :).

When I first took audio optimising seriously, years and years ago, I went round and round and round in circles for weeks, months, investigating this connection thing - tried every permutation of cleaning, not cleaning, contact enhancer, everything I could think of. At the end of it, one result stood out - the only thing that worked permanently, didn't degrade noticeably, was hardwiring, or a version of that. And that's still my thinking ...

Status
Not open for further replies.