full range OB under 500/600€ pair ?

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
JohninCR has posted a little about a waveguide he developed for the B200s. They help create uniform dispersion for the driver, reducing the brightness some. Similarly, phase plugs do something similar. I'll be trying both soon, as I think others have.

If you deal with the brightness, people have found the B200s very rewarding..

Ex-Moderator R.I.P.
Joined 2005
Just seen this pretty 12" widerange driver

Senon YD 1256 U, have no clew what the heck it is

Fs 46hz, Qts 1.33, 90db

The most funny part is the price...27 EUR
One should be able to afford 4 drivers

http://www.spectrumaudio.de/

Attachments

• senonyd1256u.jpg
    senonyd1256u.jpg
    12.4 KB · Views: 1,026
Whoa, what is that for? Stopping it from making sound?

eheh carbon spider from fertin20ex , look this new driver surround-less qts 0,1!
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

HI MJK
thanks for your fine research , all OB trend starts with you !!

My object is to use OB as secondary speakers ,during the night at low level,relax music ie on vocal jazz-blues not too much bass ,I prefer a single speaker for now,but if are so good......;)

I would consider the FE-108EZ or possibly one of the Jordan drivers paired with the Eminence Alpha 15A as an upgrade. There might be some level matching issues but I am sure they could be worked out in the crossover.

One combination that has my interest would be a double Alpha 15A arrangement in an H frame (referenced in a post from Skorpion) with a Jordan driver above 200 Hz. This should produce 30 Hz to 20 kHz pretty flat at about 89 dB/W/m.

hey, 36 , those look very good!

those OB's look very good, I hope you enjoy them.

Personally I do like my Hemps on an OB. and my old Oxfords/Vifa co-axials. But I am going to replace them with some old, but essentially unused Altec 409-8C speakers.

My first (and only) pair of baffles cost me $34 in wood, and salvaged drivers. Now I'll up the ante with my $15 a pair Altecs....

The great thing about the OB type is the ease of construction, and with (slightly) careful driver selection(s), how damned good they are. Something about no boxes just seems "right"

One way to get "there" is using a single driver, and no crossover.

No if I can just manage to sneak them back upstairs into the living room without the missus noticing...

Re: hey, 36 , those look very good!

Nanook said:
One way to get "there" is using a single driver, and no crossover.

I have seen this stated a few times, use a single driver on an OB and avoid the crossover. It just does not make sense to me. If you think about a full range driver in a box you really have a two way system, the box is the bass driver and an acoustic crossover is used to control the displacement of the driver at low frequencies. The box produces the bass and the full range driver the rest. If you put a single full range driver in an OB, you loose the bass mechanism of the box. So my conclusion is that running only one driver in an OB is going to be a significant compromise, either no bass or no top end.

ronc said:
If an L-Pad is used then the more efficent drivers are acceptable, i perfer the Fe87, i like the Qts matching, just sounds more natural but dont expect live SPLs.

ron [/B]
Ron,
Using an LPad is no problem. I was hoping the recommended driver would be one of the enabled drivers Planet-10 Dave is offering. :D I know Dave is playing with a number of different fostex drivers and not all of which are listed on the site yet. Let's see.

MJK said:
I would consider the FE-108EZ or possibly one of the Jordan drivers paired with the Eminence Alpha 15A as an upgrade. There might be some level matching issues but I am sure they could be worked out in the crossover.

One combination that has my interest would be a double Alpha 15A arrangement in an H frame (referenced in a post from Skorpion) with a Jordan driver above 200 Hz. This should produce 30 Hz to 20 kHz pretty flat at about 89 dB/W/m.

MJK,
OMG! I already have a pair of JX92 on hand. :smash: It is not the JX92S, but still...

Please help me get started. Since this will be my first OB, I would prefer to do a single Alpha 15A driver, but if you feel, why bother, double Alphas are far more interesting, I will gladly follow...
:D

Of course I should point out that much of the theory is beyond my realm of expertise, just call me a noob with a few skills.;)

I will look up the other thread you mentioned.
Thanks,
Dinesh

So my conclusion is that running only one driver in an OB is going to be a significant compromise

Really true MJK !

that's why I want use single drive as seconday speakers!!

I will lose bass ,lot money on driver :( need higth qts ,this size are decent not too tall (there are windows back)

Fertin 20ex are a condidate but have crazy price ,what I search a good alternative at max 600€ near a half price...HELP!

If I understood well with class-t I do not lose bass or I need Pass F2 current amp?

PS fine......

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.