Full range driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
...so tube 10 W is plenty for average SPLs and up 20 W for 'fast' transients would be my choice...

Just saw an English made KT150 SE. 18w in triode, 28w in UL.

1564593032-027986700.jpg

Stereo 30 SE Single Ended Integrated Amplifier - Stereo 30SE - Integrated Amplifiers

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Do you mean when an amplifier is driven into clipping or something else?

Yes, a small ampifier driven into heavy clipping is a dangerous thing. We replaced many, many Advent fried egg tweeters (ie they fried) because of this. You could tell immediatly as the ferrofluid was ejected out of thegap and atained the cone — we could do a swap over quicker than it took to do the paperwork.

dave

Yes, a small ampifier driven into heavy clipping is a dangerous thing. We replaced many, many Advent fried egg tweeters (ie they fried) because of this. You could tell immediatly as the ferrofluid was ejected out of thegap and atained the cone — we could do a swap over quicker than it took to do the paperwork.
Glad we cleared that up for the OP, didn't want him using too much power thinking it was safer than too little ;)

Is driving an amp into clipping an issue with a full range driver?

Sorry for being a Rookie, but when you say, "Cab" do you mean cabinet? As in the enclosure?

No need to apologize, we've all been one. ;)

In general, yes, i.e. max box size/shape, main usage [computer, bedroom, HT, whatever], basic details of the room, where the speakers/main listening position is desired, etc.; IOW all the info required that allows us to best overall meet the needs/desires of your app since the room dominates its performance once you're more than [>] ~ 1m/4ft away and even then, if on a desk anywhere near a wall it will still dominate much of the most critical bandwidth [BW] of all, the 250-2500 Hz telephone BW.

GM

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Is driving an amp into clipping an issue with a full range driver?

Heavy clipping is often less likely in a FR because the impedance curve is more benign, but almost any amp will clip on really dynamic music. How well an amplifier recovers (or goes) into clipping is a very important factor in how good an amplifier sounds. For instance using the original ACA i have do such a nice job, it sounds WAY bigger than its 5w. And i have related the story of the 20w NAD playing louder before audible clipping then a 200w 1st gen Carver cube (into a very non-reactive speaker — reactive ones (ie how close does the phase stay to zero?) can be much worse.

dave

maybe i can't let go of old thinking... i agree that wattage rating with respect to spl or quality is meaningless but to say it's a completely useless spec....i don't know...likely from being an old pa dude and wanting a ballpark of load wattage versus amp wattage (lowbrow estimation of potential for failure given long term averages)

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
...but to say it's a completely useless spec...

Perhaps useful for comparison within a brand (as long as they use the same methodology for all drivers), but given no spec for the actual way to take the measurement, useless. I have always ignored power handling for domestic loudspeakers. Much etter to be concerned with the quality of the amp and whether the output impedance matches the speaker.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.