Full range driver

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
You might like the Jordan Eikona, all but the cone is made by Scanspeak I believe. Member Colin here is from Jordan.

To be clear, the company, not the country.

I found the Eikona2 to be quite good, and as I said before in one of my last builds before retirement, perhaps hobbled by the shallow enclosure of the specific design - something I noticed with several other builds in the earlier days of my “new enclosure of the month” era.

Tangband have been mentioned before as a strong candidate. 5 "however, I'm more interested in 8".
Does anyone have their 8 "or have heard them? Are they impressed by them?

Hi Leif,

I still have the TB 1808 from my evaluations. It´s a pretty good driver, easy to work with and with a good quality/price ratio.
It will do the 3-dimensional thing, but it will not do easily 30-20000 Hz... don´t believe manufacturers fantasy numbers. Voxativ is a very bad example... and the response "curves" given by Cube are not much better.
TB 1808 was very good in a decent sized OB prototype with a nice 18-inch bass driver (here AD 1830, cheap and good) with moderate correction. It will work also in a closed box, but of course not nearly with levels of quality and impact a good 18-inch driver in OB will do...
I still have my 1808, but moved on to EMS and Fertin drivers. Should you be interested in a used pair, drop me a PM.

All the best

Mattes

Attachments

• DSC09336 (1) .jpg
    DSC09336 (1) .jpg
    282.2 KB · Views: 300
  • DSC09337 (1) .jpg
    DSC09337 (1) .jpg
    908 KB · Views: 308
  • DSC09338 (1) .jpg
    DSC09338 (1) .jpg
    268.5 KB · Views: 294
Hi Leif,

I have a bit of a hard time formulating all those lyric sound descriptions, sorry... and I´m sure you´ll find other opinions in the net, too.
For me, subjectively the TB 1808 was pretty good in OB - open, dynamic, 3-dimensional and pretty natural, once corrected. It was easy to correct and responded well to upstream changes. I think it´s pretty good for the money and liked it better than the Fostexes I know (F 200 A is possibly the exception, but I don´t know this driver) or Visaton B 200, just to give few names...

I think it´s on the edge of diminishing returns - if you want something "better" (whatever that is), you´d have to pay a lot more money - I did it and went first with EMS LB8 MkII, then finally with the FERTIN 21M8EX with fieldcoil motor. I subjectively liked both drivers better, but paid a lot more for them. Never regretted it though...

Anyway, as above, you´ll find a lot of info about the TB 1808, many people like it. Several sets of measurements are also to be found, mine sadly were lost in a harddrive crash, so no TB 1808 measurements or correction filter values from my side, sorry...

All the best

Mattes

Typically power handling is a meaningless specification in hifi loudspeakers. And further there is no standard on how to measure it.

dave

That sucks. I am contemplating having an amp built for me with KT-150 tubes but from my understanding I need to know what the power handling capabilities of these drivers are otherwise I may blow them. Or those tubes may be a waste of money and I may need to go with smaller tubes.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Why does it suck? Given the sensitivity of the Sonindo something like 10w would be lots, if you have more you just have to be careful with the volume control (althou too much power is often safe than too little)

The KT150 is a gorgeous looking tube. Just for the looks i’d like an amp with them. Guessing, SE ia bout 10w, some 10x that is likely possible with a pr in PP wired for max power.

I’d be happy with a class A PP 2A3 (or at least high bias). Probably SE 2A3 with the more efficient models and in a smaller room.

dave

Why does it suck? Given the sensitivity of the Sonindo something like 10w would be lots, if you have more you just have to be careful with the volume control (althou too much power is often safe than too little)

The KT150 is a gorgeous looking tube. Just for the looks i’d like an amp with them. Guessing, SE ia bout 10w, some 10x that is likely possible with a pr in PP wired for max power.

I’d be happy with a class A PP 2A3 (or at least high bias). Probably SE 2A3 with the more efficient models and in a smaller room.

dave

True... you are correct, I just have to make sure I dont blast the sound on loud... which I never do anyway.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.