Frugel-Horn Mk3

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Some people may be interested in the size differences between Maeshowe, Twin FH3 and FH3

twin-FH3-Maeshowe.jpg

dave

There are a few authorised (MJK commercial license & the decidedly not onerous provisions detailed on the FH site required) small scale commercial producers now, across the world. EB is one. Perhaps we should put together a list when time permits.

Yes, list would be handy. Thanks for the information on EB.

I did wonder briefly if the firm was authorised and a list would have cleared that up in a hurry. Seeing the reference to DIYaudio was an indication that they were known.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Perhaps we should put together a list when time permits.

There is a list of flat-pak vendors Frugal-Horns -- Kits & Built (only properly licenced one's listed, i know at least 1 that is not). I'd like to see the list much longer.

Not nearlong enuff yet... you think that we should add finished only as well? Colin Topps (Reviever Acoustics), EB, Pearl (all UK based) are the ones i know.

dave

No need to make one oneself any longer: Electric Beach introduces the Frugel 3 Speaker
A nice looking website indeed. The FH 3's will provide 1st. class musical reproduction for peanuts.
I hope it's a commercial success for all involved, including the mentioned designers.
If they're eventually able to offer this design with the MA maop drivers as heard at Dave's this summer, not a few folks will be reaching for their wallets,quickly.
That combination is stellar.

Last edited:
Thanks. Just curious. This one is a pretty nice Line Magnetic 518 at $4500 a pop in the USA. Highly regarded even at that price by their owners. A bit of an overkill but was wondering about whether 22 watts was sufficient. I don't remember but coule not find the specs for the Alpair 7 as to min/max watts.

Thanks,
UL

Difficult to say -not all 845 amps are created equal, any more than any other amps are. There's ultimately only one way of finding out if you like the combination. But I suspect it'll do nicely.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
to min/max watts.

A more or less useless consideration. There are no tandards for this specification, and too much power is better than too little. I generally say minimum 10 w but people are happily using them with 2A3 SE,

As to valur mismatch, you can find $10k speakers on the high street that are not as good as FH3 with A7

dave

Hello UL,

I've listened to Toppsy's FH3's/A7 driven by an 6 watt 300B SE they are up there with the Lowthers of this world.

As for price Mr Sakura asks for c. $7,500 for his GainCard (2 amps 2 power supplies) anyone can build one for c. $75! It used to be that the trade were ahead of the DIY sector, now it's the other way round.

Cheers - Jim

A bit of an overkill but was wondering about whether 22 watts was sufficient.

Depending on its output impedance it can easily be up to 4x in SS amp rating down low, so more than plenty to drive virtually all small drivers to destruction with low [mid] bass attacks and organ, etc. sustains, so tread lightly with the volume control when listening to wide BW and/or low compression sources, especially with or similar drivers that don't have standard rising rate suspensions as there's no audible warning between reaching Xmax and Xmech, i.e. where the VC bounces off the back-plate.

Fortunately, the times I've done it on several early pairs of different model Adire/MA/CSS drivers with this type suspension suffered no immediate or long term audible side effects that me and my friends could tell, but we don't have youthful hearing and no clue if the current ones are as 'bullet proof', so caveat emptor.

GM

Tube amps with little to No damping (most all of them ?) make full rangers seem to produce far more bass than when SS amp powered.
Seems the undamped cones get to resonate.. significantly.. generating all manner of harmonics .. which sounds like 'more' bass.
Making their owners happy.
Little to no intrinsic magic in it though.
As for power Wrecking a ~50/100$ driver.. it's annoying buy hardly life ending.
Not like it's a 604 :)
As for geriatric hearing :)
I dick about with my system and strain to identify differences.
Yet My son walks in and within 15 seconds Identifies the Bungle/inadequacy.. accurately.
This REALLY shouldn't be an Old Mans' game :) as such IMO..it's only self indulgent entertainment.

Last edited: