Frugel-Horn Mk3 Picture Gallery

IMGP6622-Copy.jpg

IMGP6623-Copy.jpg

IMGP6774-Copy.jpg

IMGP6777-Copy.jpg

IMGP6787-Copy.jpg

My First Build

Finished my MK3s this weekend. 3/4" MDF with Cherry veneer finished with Watco Danish oil containing ~5% Minwax Cherry stain.

IMG_7925.JPG IMG_7926.JPG

Two comments from the wife say it all:

1) "Are you really going to put more furniture in here? "

Note she referred to them as "furniture" and not boxes, speakers,
or things.

And after listening Hurt by Johnny Cash she commented:

2) "I can actually hear the pain is his voice." I can hear things
that I've never heard before. Whatever they cost they were worth it!"

We spent much of yesterday evening "rediscovering" our music collection and woke up this morning to continue.

Needless to say, these things are a hit around here.

Thanks to all who came before and paved the way

Barry

:D
Another SWS kit built, here in sunny Sydney!... just a couple of pics to add to this fine collection.
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

... sound check tonight.

Friend said "I can't hear the speakers.... as in they disapper".

:D... can't say more than that!

Good eyes, Dave.
They are vintage ARC sp-6c and Dac 1.

The FH Mk3 is now mated to a Mini-Aleph which I tuned it to provide 18 healthy watts of class A power. I just fired them up 20 minutes ago after some boring in-law gathering :) Panic at the beginning but resolved it in 10 mins - I torqued the driver too tight.

Before the Mk3, the Mini-A was hooked up to a pair of 3 ways Dahlquist. I didn't feel I missed anything from the high and low in sense of the whole frequency spectrum is very balanced and natural. Obviously, the drivers had less than 20 minutes of exercise, what surprised me is the bass the little driver reproduced. While I never audition any full range speaker prior to the Mk3, I can second Dave's comment about not to discount this little fellow - the EL70. If there is one thing I wish for the EL70, it will be a little more efficient.

nrg2009, the color is called antique red. My wife also likes the color. No kidding, her attitude was a 180 degree turned around when she saw the cabinets "naked" to after completed stained. To be honest, I was surprised that the whole project turned out - a pair of great sounding and beautiful speakers. I am sure I will be in 9 cloud after the drivers are broken in!!

Kudo, Dave, Chris, and the whole design team!!

Finished my Slid Cherry Frugel Horns

Here are my finished Solid Cherry Frugel Horns. They sound great and look great. Tell you what, it takes about 5 times as long to make them from solid wood then from plywood.

Attachments

• Photo Apr 01, 7 52 06 AM (1).jpg
    Photo Apr 01, 7 52 06 AM (1).jpg
    396.7 KB · Views: 2,599
  • Photo Apr 02, 8 08 28 PM.jpg
    Photo Apr 02, 8 08 28 PM.jpg
    127.1 KB · Views: 2,516
  • Photo Apr 01, 7 51 16 AM.jpg
    Photo Apr 01, 7 51 16 AM.jpg
    778.5 KB · Views: 2,475