Frugel-Horn Mk3 Builds & Build Questions

Here's a pic. I still have to cut the template for the curve. And since someone will ask, my main speakers are Proac 2.5 clones with Australian lacewood, the tubes are 6B4G in the amp, there's an Aikido pre-amp under the Rega turntable. The best sounding equipment in the room though is the black Yamaha by the windows. The only distortion from that is your untalented poster banging on the keys.;)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    618.9 KB · Views: 431
Last edited:
I didn't mind the pair I heard at my friend Ed's a while back (mounted in sealed spheres). They didn't particularly excite me, and detailing was only adequate. They didn't motor up as high as I'd like either. But they didn't do anything to annoy me, which is something. My suspicion is the cone substrate has a relatively high level of self damping.

The 1611 is a larger size than the FH3 was originally planned to accommodate (i.e. 3-4" class), and of probably a dozen drivers I've heard in this enclosure, the A7.3 or MAOP would be my favorites.

The suprabaffle does allow shoehorning a larger frame size into the FH3 than would otherwise fit, and also allows for easy swapping of smaller drivers with different cutout and mounting hole patterns.

If you like the general tonality of the 1611, it'd likely "work" - as in, fit- in the XL, but a simpler MLTL or even "conventional" BR might be a better bet.

So. I have built my frugel horns with mark alpair 7 drivers. Before I glued one together, I dry clamped all the pieces together without stuffing to test the sound. I was blown away!!

I've since glued one together and put stuffing in the rear chamber, and wool felt aroud the driver. All of a sudden, the sound is not as lively? Has anyone else run the Frugel's with no stuffing? I'm contemplating ripping it all out as I prefer the typical horn bass sound.

What Dave said. I'd post some comparative graphs for illustration, but I'm stuck on my faithful old laptop at present, since the recent round of Microsoft updates completely wrecked my main PC's windows installation to the point where I'm having to do a complete format & reinstall from scratch. Right when I'm trying to finalise a lecture I'm giving on Saturday morning. You can imagine how pleased I was. First I knew of it was when half the functions in PCD 7.0, which I'd fired up for a few minutes break, stopped working... Scott suffered major loss of humour.

I didn't put the stuffing in one of my builds a few years ago when I first tested them, and thought the same thing when I finished. Ultimately though the sound was right with the stuffing and waaaaay too bright without it.

My A7.3s arrived today but I don't have all the panels fully cut to size yet. Maybe this weekend... I'll clamp them together to see how it sounds.

I've just started building. The first three pieces are glued and clamped. I'm not sure, again, whether I'm reading the stuffing guidelines correctly or not. How much goes in the wedge. Is it just an ounce (doesn't sound a lot) or is the note on the plans just telling me that 1 Oz = 30 g?

Scott,

MS is in the process of disabling the VB functions from Excel. If you intend to use spreadsheets with VB functions, you need to keep an old copy of Excel. I did't. Now Unibox, PCD, etc are broken to various degrees. MS wants everything done in .Net framework.

Bob

Oh, that's just wonderful. Thanks for the heads up / warning Bob, I hadn't realised they decided to go that far. Our friends at Microsoft really do like making life difficult for their end-users don't they... yet another reason not to buy the new version of Office. Or Windows 8. Sorry to hear you've been caught by it.