Fostex FE166 ES-R; reviews, cabinets, & notch filters

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Would it really be such an impossible task to buy a standard driver, then remove the magnet and build a field coil for it? Of course, I've never tried removing a magnet assembly before

Josh Stippich did it to an fe208EZ. Ruined it. Shure it worked a bit. But in the end you wind up where every fullrange attempt at electromotion ends up, making way too much heat for any kind of practicality trying to get any high freqs. The S-voxs make great mids and bass, no magic in the highs, even when you crank em up to full voltage, and the you only have 10 minutes to listen, or grab a fire extinguisher. Feild coiled woofers work, as do midranges, but to do highs and bass in one driver may not be possible at all except by dual coils/diaghrams or water cooling. The 166esr will be the best fullranger that's relatively available for some time bar none IMHO. An AER? fine, whatever. My cryo'd fe208Z (notE) are better than any field coil I have heard. But cryo has it's own problems.

Now Josh also DIY'd a feild coil tweeter, worked. He may even get a great midbass someday. I doubt he ever gets a full ranger.

I asked the Fostex engineer about field coils a couple of years ago, no interest as a product. He did say he had some FC woofers at home, but was bothered by the whole baggage of complexity associated with them.

COmpression field coils work, in much narower bandwidth (think 3-5way). But you have to be a front horny to put up with even more domestic disenchantment.

TC

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: RE: Field Coil

hifiZen said:
Why wait for fostex to do it? Would it really be such an impossible task to buy a standard driver, then remove the magnet and build a field coil for it? Of course, I've never tried removing a magnet assembly before... maybe it is more difficult than it looks.

In the old days when they bolted them together it was pretty doable (ie Wharfedale Sandwich) but in these days of super glues & rivets it is a lot harder.

dave

Driver and cabinet dampening

I have started to build the factory recommended back loaded horns (my first horn) and I would appreciate the collective wisdom of the forum on a few questions that I have:

1. I have seen it recommended that the magnet be wrapped in felt. Is this necessary and if so how thick and what is the recommend method to attach the felt to the driver. I am thinking 1/8" - 1/4" thick, no glue and using electrical tape to secure the felt to the driver.

2. I am thinking of dampening the driver basket using rope caulk (outside only). The driver basket while stamped appears to be substantial; I am not sure that this is necessary.

3. The factory plan calls for the bottom and back of the horn throat to be lined. I have some ½" carpet pad that I could use or I could line it with about ½" of felt. Other ideas that I have read are combed silicone caulk, carpet, and cork.

4. I have also read (not sure where) that lining the first 30-40% of the horn with cork will help to reduce midrange propagation out of the horn mouth without taking the life out of the horn. Anybody tried this?

5. Any suggestions for hook-up wire?

Thanks for your collective help.

Bill

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Driver and cabinet dampening

Badwater said:
1. I have seen it recommended that the magnet be wrapped in felt. Is this necessary and if so how thick and what is the recommend method to attach the felt to the driver. I am thinking 1/8" - 1/4" thick, no glue and using electrical tape to secure the felt to the driver.

Use real wool felt as thick as you can get away with. You might be able to use a fat elestic band to hold it in place.

2. I am thinking of dampening the driver basket using rope caulk (outside only). The driver basket while stamped appears to be substantial; I am not sure that this is necessary.

Ductseal does a better job and won't harden up as rope caulk tends too. I'd also use it to shape the space between the basket and the magnet before felting.

5. Any suggestions for hook-up wire?

cheap -- cryoed Cat 5 strands (a pr), less cheap ... cryoed solid core silver (with teflon or enamel insulation (or none if you can guarantee they won't short.

dave

FE166ES-R impressions after 1 week...

Nice!

Using the Fostex cabinets. A little peak at 160 Hz (well, OK, a BIG peak) acc. to my RS meter using the Stereophile Test CD 3 warble tones. And some suckout at around 315Hz. But all in all, very smooth up top and weighty enough down below.

I lined the compression chamber back wall with 1/8" trunk liner felt, and pretty much covered (encapsulated) the magnets with same.

Placement in my 11' x 13' room is deep in the corners along the short wall aimed directly at the listening position. Walls are gypsum and floor is carpet and pad over concrete. Ceiling is vaulted 8' to 11' (the wall behind the listener).

I'm using a diy subwoofer: 2.5 sq. ft. 12" dvc powered with a PE 200wpc plate amp crossed over at around 60Hz.

Amps are Cary 300B monoblocks. Main source is CD: Benchmark/Theta.

I'd certainly like to hear other users' impressions, or any comments on my notes.

Thanks youse!

More enclosure questions...

I'm glad I jumped on these when I had the chance. Listening to them without a baffle, I can already tell that they're going to sound wonderful. I've decided to stick with the factory recommended horn. Sooo... since this is my first fullranger, and my first horn, I have some additional questions about these enclosures:

1. I have some leftover parts express Sonic Barrier damping material... 260-535, 260-525, and 260-520. Would this be an appropriate material for the compression chamber lining?

2. The horn mouth construction results in a bunch of steps which I think are a bit ugly. I'd like to smooth over these steps and apply a thin sheet of say, 1/8" birch ply to give a nice clean curve to it. Would this affect the sound quality at all?

3. How about putting 45-degree filler pieces in some of the corners along the horn path, just to round it out a little?

4. Countersinking the driver mount, so the edges of the frame are flush with the front baffle?

5. Finally, I was thinking of building a gently curved front baffle - essentially a shaped piece of solid 3/4" plywood sandwiched onto the existing front baffle, with a nice veneered face. Due to the veneer, I'd curve them only in the horizontal direction, and leave them vertically flat. The curve would be the largest radius I can fit between the driver edges and the enclosure sides. I would also consider rounding some of the other front baffle edges with the usual 3/4" routered radius.

Thanks in advance for your replies... can't wait to hear these in a proper enclosure! :)

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: More enclosure questions...

hifiZen said:
2. The horn mouth construction results in a bunch of steps which I think are a bit ugly. I'd like to smooth over these steps and apply a thin sheet of say, 1/8" birch ply to give a nice clean curve to it. Would this affect the sound quality at all?

3. How about putting 45-degree filler pieces in some of the corners along the horn path, just to round it out a little?

All those sharp corners & steps are part of the design. Low frequencies don't see them, but the HF are dissapated by them.

dave

Re: Driver and cabinet dampening

Originally posted by Badwater

3. The factory plan calls for the bottom and back of the horn throat to be lined. I have some ½" carpet pad that I could use or I could line it with about ½" of felt. Other ideas that I have read are combed silicone caulk, carpet, and cork. [/B]

I've done a little experimentation and found that less is better. I tried some 1/2" felt and it absolutely killed the low frequencies. Cork, however, sounds interesting.

Re: Re: Driver and cabinet dampening

Much thanks for your help.

planet10 said:
Use real wool felt as thick as you can get away with. You might be able to use a fat elestic band to hold it in place.

I picked up a yard of felt today at the local fabric store. I am not sure if its real wool or not. Its about 1/16 -1/8" thick so will layer it to desired thickness

Ductseal does a better job and won't harden up as rope caulk tends too. I'd also use it to shape the space between the basket and the magnet before felting.

Picked up two blocks at the hardware store for $4US.

cheap -- cryoed Cat 5 strands (a pr), less cheap ... cryoed solid core silver (with teflon or enamel insulation (or none if you can guarantee they won't short.

Can you suggest a source for the cryoed wire?

BTW, how do you highlight the quotes?

Bill

Re: Re: More enclosure questions...

planet10 said:

All those sharp corners & steps are part of the design. Low frequencies don't see them, but the HF are dissapated by them.

dave

Hrm. I figured it was something like that. Well, at least the construction will be easy. :rolleyes:

Any thoughts on the curved baffle? I'm thinking that I'll have to adjust the volume of the compression chanber just slightly to compensate for the extra front panel thickness.

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: Driver and cabinet dampening

Badwater said:
I picked up a yard of felt today at the local fabric store. I am not sure if its real wool or not. Its about 1/16 -1/8" thick so will layer it to desired thickness

Likely polyester if you got it from a craft store.. put a lighter too a piece and you'll know pretty quick. The poly stuff is not nearly as good as wool (ie marginal at best)

Can you suggest a source for the cryoed wire?

Take 5. maybe soon from PEARL. maybe Jena Labs (they have a cryo plant from PEARL)

BTW, how do you highlight the quotes?

leave the quoted stuff in between {open-square-bracket }QUOTE{close-square-bracket } and {open-square-bracket }/QUOTE{close-square-bracket }

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Re: Re: More enclosure questions...

hifiZen said:
Any thoughts on the curved baffle? I'm thinking that I'll have to adjust the volume of the compression chanber just slightly to compensate for the extra front panel thickness.

That or even just an angled baffle should help with screwing up unwanted reflections.

Compression chamber volume coupled with throat area determine the low pass of the horn so is critical.

dave

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Re: Rounding edges off

greenie512 said:
Guy's - "when" I get around to building the BLH I was thinking of running a router over the leading (square) edges of all those bottom steps/panels and the same on the front baffle steps? with a 1/2" round over bit.

This wouldn't have any major effect on the final sound, would it???

I don't think a round over on the outside edges would be a problem, but the edges on the inside are supposed to be that way -- you would probably degrade performance. I know this design does a lot of things that on 1st pass don't seem to make sense, but -- according to those who have built it -- it works, and works well.

I am working on getting a set of the smaller FE103 ones built for my vintage alnico FE103s (and variants -- if i can get my 16 ohm Coral's surrounds fixed (and Cal doesn't take them all from me), these could be the best of the lot.

dave

Re: Re: Rounding edges off

planet10 said:

I don't think a round over on the outside edges would be a problem, but the edges on the inside are supposed to be that way -- you would probably degrade performance. I know this design does a lot of things that on 1st pass don't seem to make sense, but -- according to those who have built it -- it works, and works well.

dave

Dave - Along with the front baffle I only meant the stepped boards on the speaker base. I do not intend touching the internals. Do you consider the base boards/steps internal or external??

tmmuch said:
I think that there are actually three 60mm x 240mm braces: parts 7, 8 and 9. I'm not sure what they do sound-wise, but they seem like they can't hurt. I'd go with them.

I finished gluing up one speaker today (sans one side) and put the three braces in. Will be starting on the second one tomorrow night. I hope to have them ready to start tweaking in about a week or so.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.