Fostex 206EN Small Sealed Enclosure

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
First post so go easy on me!

I have a pair of Fostex FE206en full range drivers, which I previously installed into a pair of self-made double bass reflex type floorstanding enclosures. They were fine for a time but have been sat for a couple of years unused gathering dust.

I’m looking to re-use the drivers by sealing them up in small stand mount boxes, using a couple of separate powered woofers to fill in the bass.

Can anyone recommend a suitably small enclosure size?

Last edited:
frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
attachment.php

About 5 litres damped… with that small a box you may have issues fitting the driver in the box. XO 2nd order to the woofers at about 165Hz.

I have a miniOnken for these that gets a bit more on the bottom (almost 100 Hz). email me if interested.

FExx6x/xx8e∑ do not do well in a BR as far as extension on the bottom goes.

Bottlehead has/had an article on using FE166 and doing sealed to subs.

dave

Attachments

• FE206En-sealed2.gif
    FE206En-sealed2.gif
    26.7 KB · Views: 600
if the amp driving the 206en has low output impedance, than a 250uF low loss capacitor could kick up the 100Hz output using a 5 liter closed box;

206 are very punchy in Karlson K12/

it the amp has any significant output impedance, the trick will not work.

pz8VcBe.png

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Wow that’s small! 5 litres internal volume? So roughly a 20cm cube made with 15mm mdf.

5 litres requiring careful consideration of the volume of the actual driver. As volume goes up the box Q drops (unless you do as GM suggests), eventually very slowly. A slower rolloff means a less easy to deal with natural rolloff if you want ot use it as part of the filter.

I would not use MDF, and a box this small is probably better in a “dagger” shape.

dave

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.