Fonken-- my 4th build

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
The drivers only have 45 hours on them, but the sound is pretty good. I’m hearing nice mids, decent bass extension, and a rising high end. Probably will want to use 2-3 dB of BSC.

The Fonkens are providing more bass than I expected. Time to get out the RS SPL meter and Stereophile Test CD. Graph below shows what I measured at my listening position. The bump at 80 Hz and the sag below it are room effects. WOW! response down to 40 Hz. :bigeyes: How did that happen? I thought Fonkens were supposed to run out of gas around 80-90 Hz. Dave: is this what you would expect?

Even before I get around to the BSC tuning, I'm stunned by what I'm hearing. The Fostex FE127 has to be considered a true bargain at only $45 each. Considering the other costs of a project like this, why would anyone bother using a cheaper driver?
:cheers:

Attachments

• fonken.jpg
    fonken.jpg
    45.1 KB · Views: 459
Jim Shearer said:
The drivers only have 45 hours on them, but the sound is pretty good. I’m hearing nice mids, decent bass extension, and a rising high end. Probably will want to use 2-3 dB of BSC.

The Fonkens are providing more bass than I expected. Time to get out the RS SPL meter and Stereophile Test CD. Graph below shows what I measured at my listening position. The bump at 80 Hz and the sag below it are room effects. WOW! response down to 40 Hz. :bigeyes: How did that happen? I thought Fonkens were supposed to run out of gas around 80-90 Hz. Dave: is this what you would expect?

Even before I get around to the BSC tuning, I'm stunned by what I'm hearing. The Fostex FE127 has to be considered a true bargain at only $45 each. Considering the other costs of a project like this, why would anyone bother using a cheaper driver?
:cheers:

If you're reasonably happy with the sound so far, try and give them at least another 150hrs of playing time before tuning BSC*, and while you're at it, try some light gauge single strand wire ( 22 -24 )

Then when you want to get really adventuresome, try the full polka dot / trifoil pattern treatment.

With a SS amplifier, you may well have a high enough damping factor to control the bass issues that those of us using tube amps sometimes experience at higher volumes. For me a quick litmus test track is "Flight of the Cosmic Hippo" at 90 dB SPL

* as blasphemous as it may sound, there those among us who are quite happy with any BSC, particularly in smaller rooms and/or warmer sounding amps

ist qtiue amzng hwo teh wtewrae prcoesssor indise oru slluks cna cotrrec fro lla knids of srcmeballd or mssiing dtaa - eslwesie, how culod dgaitil sunod lkie msiuc?
:angel:

frugal-phile™
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Jim Shearer said:
eyes: How did that happen? I thought Fonkens were supposed to run out of gas around 80-90 Hz. Dave: is this what you would expect

mFonken (LS3/5A size) runs out at 80-90, My estimates before measuring was 60-65 Hz. Here are my in-room measures (look at the blue curve).

Adding the FonkenWoofTL doesn't seem to give much in lower extension (green curve), but has a huge effect om bass authority,

I also have some outside measures i can prep for posting if you'd like.

dave

Attachments

• fonken-inroom-measures.gif
    fonken-inroom-measures.gif
    25.6 KB · Views: 437
Chris,
I won't commit to permanent changes before 200 hrs. I don't know how much more the FE127's will change, but I'm sure it will be audible. I may try a couple tweeks in the meantime so that I can listen for longer periods without getting ear fatigue.

Dave,
Thanks much for the in room data! That tells me what I wanted to know.

My initial concern was whether the acoustic foam lining in the cabinet and poly batting on the driver brace would work OK. I think they have proven to be satisfactory. (I'm still smarting from the disaster with the over-lined Metronomes. :xeye: )

While my work is not yet done here, things are right on track. Satisfaction is running high, and it appears the Fonkens will exceed my expectations in some respects.

Thanks again to you for your excellent design and kind assistance! :yes:

unsure about teensy drivers...

chrisb said:
nice work Jim

BTW, for those not sure that a teensy driver like the FE127 will be satisfying, a larger floorstanding version for the FE167 is quite nice too.

c'mon, I want some FATfonkens! Those were very nice all-rounders at Dave's place. Certainly a speaker for almost all applications with the right amplifier.

stew

Fonken 167...

That would be a single driver loudspeaker that my head banging brother could live with.

Dave did you say you may have a 100K stereo potentiometer available? Mike's getting pretty irritated with this all...

did ya have a look at the photo and sketchup I sent?

stew

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.