• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Folsom EC7293: PVI Powered Frontend, 60/120w 8/4ohm

Hopefully it's not a poor connection to the gauss band. I suppose your results will tell us a bit.

I still have to try adding the foam around it but will report any changes here.

I have made a few listening sessions and this amplifier really sound good! I'm very impressed by the soundstage as well. Very nice job Destroyer OS!!

Do

I still have to try adding the foam around it but will report any changes here.

I have made a few listening sessions and this amplifier really sound good! I'm very impressed by the soundstage as well. Very nice job Destroyer OS!!

Do

Hi Do, you have an impressive list of amplifier builds. Maybe people following this thread would be eager for some more insight into how (or if) this sounds in comparison!

Hi Do, you have an impressive list of amplifier builds. Maybe people following this thread would be eager for some more insight into how (or if) this sounds in comparison!

Hi sanjeev,

I agree that it would be good to compare amplifiers but I cannot connect the amplifier on my main ATS-4 speakers without a speaker protection. In fact no amplifier will ever be connected to these speakers without a protection, there's to much money and time involved. I trust Destroyer OS design but I'm simply not one to take a risk of burning a driver in case of a fault. I was planning on assembling an external speaker protection box for amplifiers that don't have one built in, this would allow me to test without fear.

Now, I've been listening to the amplifier on my Sagwee LT speakers and it sounds wonderful but these speakers are in the main living room and I cannot start swapping parts all the time since my family spend a lot of time in that room.

I will however, order the parts and assemble that box for external protection.

Thanks
Do

Just to clarify things for other builders, most amplifier designs (in DIY) don't have speaker protection built in, it is usually an external module that needs to be added in the amplifier chassis at your own discretion. I used to never put them in my builds until I build the Troels ATS-4 speakers, then the cost and time to build these speakers made me realize I should add this to all my builds. In some case, it could potentially affect sound signature, especially with mechanical relay contacts that degrade over time but with well designed SSR ones, it is much less of an issue.

Thanks
Do

Just to clarify things for other builders, most amplifier designs (in DIY) don't have speaker protection built in, it is usually an external module that needs to be added in the amplifier chassis at your own discretion. I used to never put them in my builds until I build the Troels ATS-4 speakers, then the cost and time to build these speakers made me realize I should add this to all my builds.

I glad I read your last two posts. My speakers are DIY but were an expensive build.

Would this be an adequate protection circuit? Soft Start & Speaker Turn-On Delay / DC Protector Combo – diyAudio Store

Thanks

I got one channel fired up and it sounds really good on an old Emotiva ERM 6.2 I had laying around. I don't have speaker protection circuits to install yet so I won't be testing them on my main speakers anytime soon. Also I couldn't get the DC offset any lower than about 9 mV for this first channel, is that ok?

The overall experience was much easy than I thought it would be after Destroyer OS answered some of my preliminary questions. Thanks again man.

9mv is great.

Glad it’s going well.

I would like to note almost no PCB kit comes with any form of speaker protection. It’s almost exclusively an add-on. For most DIY projects a properly operating amp on the bench with all the wires and parts checked is a-ok.

Not all speaker protection is equal, either. One of the reasons you don’t see it a lot (anywhere) is because so many types of it affect the sound. So if you want it choose a good one. I don’t consider it necessary but everyone feels different.

I got one channel fired up and it sounds really good on an old Emotiva ERM 6.2 I had laying around. I don't have speaker protection circuits to install yet so I won't be testing them on my main speakers anytime soon. Also I couldn't get the DC offset any lower than about 9 mV for this first channel, is that ok?

The overall experience was much easy than I thought it would be after Destroyer OS answered some of my preliminary questions. Thanks again man.

Thinking back over this, I'm surprised you can't get lower -even though 9mv is plenty low.

What is the PVI voltage? Do the 1.5Mohm resistors look soldered well?

:rain: :rain: :rain: :rain:
So I finally received my long awaited transformers.... :rain: :rain: :rain: :rain:

Attachments

• IMG_0891.jpg
    IMG_0891.jpg
    554.3 KB · Views: 368