FM/AM Tuner

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Joined 2002
Paid Member
(continues)
So I ordered some incomplete LH7255 (from which he has a few) on which I installed the front end of the LH7254 (for the LH7254,see post#22 on page 2 of this thread).

Attachments

• picture 028.jpg
    picture 028.jpg
    82.1 KB · Views: 1,299
Joined 2002
Paid Member
(continues)
The "operation" is quite simple.
The "combo" provides the best of both kits: The overload-insensitive RF front end of the LH7254 and the better IF and AF-Stereo section of the LH7255. I enjoy it for a few months now.
If anyone is interested, you may contact Tamas for avaliability and price. He is a very helpful person, and although a keen proffessional designer, he does not hesitate to discuss in detail with amateurs (like me).
I can supply details for the interconnections if needed.

Regards
George

Joined 2002
Paid Member
The joy of analogue tuning

Tuning Vernier turns, Zero Meter swinks to the left, then to the right then centers on.
One more night time FM magic starts.
Happy tuning in
Happy listening
Happy communicating

Regards
George

Attachments

• picture 31.jpg
    picture 31.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 1,007
Pulse Counting

Hi!

As far as I remeber, this was no receiving but a stereo-demodulation technique by Kenwood. Is was part of the famous KT 917 Tuner. But later on this decoder was abandoned by Kenwood because other demodulation methods were better soundwise.

Just my € - Twocents

Helmut

Linsley Hood PLL Tuner

I am in a similar situation as urbanebassman1. New kid on the block and in need to the Linsley Hood schematics/articles from ETI, 1987 Feb, Mar, and Apr.

Can anyone help, forr? Please

Problem I have is being a new kid on the block, I can't e-mail anyone yet

More IC information

I scanned through the threads and I have information:

1). The MC1310P sttereo decoder chip is available as the NTE801
2). The CA3089 is available as NTE788
3). The CA3189 is available as NTE7016

All these are current from www.mouser.com

4). Try the SA615 from NXP (formally Philips). This is a current Mixer-IF-limiter chip (similar to the CA3189) and appears to have better specs. Available from www.digikey.com

The prices for these are very reasonable

Although I have studied a number of commercially available designs, I would never attempt to build a tuner just for fun. Hats off to those who do.

You see, the standards even for relatively entry-level tuners are pretty high, particularly over here in Europe where 4-gang 3-filter sets are very common (whereas the folks in the States frequently have to make do with 3-gang frontends and two IF filters). I recently saw a perfectly fine Onkyo T-4450 (T-4150) 4-gang 4-filter tuner with FM IF bandwidth selection (2x 230 kHz GDT for wide + another 2x 150 for narrow) go for a song...

Some general recommendations:
Check out fmtunerinfo.com and the FMtuners Yahoo! Group, as well as Brian Beezley's site.
Look for more modern/advanced IC designs. The 1310 is really long in the tooth by now, dating back to 1973 or so (one of the very first chips that did away with tuned inductors), and does have its shortcomings - for example, on some stations it refuses to switch into stereo (probably low pilot tone level). Sanyo ICs in particular seem to be worth a look. For example, at a popular dealer here in Germany I could still order LA1235 (FM IF), LA1266 (FM/AM IF) (as well as LA1260 and 1265) and LA3401 (good "2nd-row" MPX from the '80s). In terms of Philips, there's the TDA1591 (usable MPX) and the TDA1072 (AM RF/IF). The uPC1161C3 long used in basic Onkyo tuners crossreferences to HA1196 or HA12016, I forgot which - in any case these also are stereo decoders worth looking out for.
MPX chips with 38k 3rd harmonic suppression (these generally are the best ones) seem to have vanished for the most part, though it seems like one can still get the odd TCA4500A in the States. GDT filters also are problematic, they are no longer being made, at least lead types. Hand matching those types that are available with regard to center frequency becomes all the more important.

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Yes, it is more complicated to build a good tuner than a good amp. But it is manageable.
The first tuner that one builds may be not better than a commercial unit, but the same holds true for the first amp that one builds.
I think that there are two strong points doing RF-diy:
1. Dealing with RF, man earns a wealth of technical knowledge, theoretical and practical.
2. Receivers as well as transmitters are communication tools. They are a window to far “out-there” worlds. This itself is fascinating.

Regards
George

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.