Fluke 117 True RMS Multimeter.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Depends on what you want to do. That meter is an electrician-style meter. THe only difference is the non-contact in the 117 from what I see.

If you want to work with electronic gear, you are better off with something like this even though it is ~40 years old:
Fluke 8050A Digital Multimeter | eBay

You'll probably also want a meter with a 10A range, but you can probably find one essentially equivalent to the fluke 115 in functionality for <$70.

I have read in quite a few places that the best Fluke for Electronics/Amplifiers is the 87V. But that goes for $405 (Best deal I could find) Brand New. I could get a used one for about $200. But then you never know what the previous owner did with it.
Mainly I will need it to test capacitors, and general testing of Amps... both Guitar Amps and Stereo Hi-Fi Amps. And lastly I want to be able to calibrate my Tascam TSR-8.

Joined 2011
Last edited:
The 115/117 are good meters, but only <1% AC accuracy below 500Hz.
I'd go for this new $300 Fluke 87V that just turned up, it's much better.
Amazon.com: Buying Choices: Fluke 87-V Digital Multimeter
You're right to be wary of used meters, if you want accuracy.

Why is it if I go on Amazon and search for "Fluke 87V" I only see the $404 ones and not the one you linked to? And does anyone know if the 87V's are American made or are ALL Flukes made in China now?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Why is it if I go on Amazon and search for "Fluke 87V" I only see the $404 ones and not the one you linked to? And does anyone know if the 87V's are American made or are ALL Flukes made in China now?
Get a Brymen BM257s instead of the 117. The 117 is an electrician's meter. It does not have low current range. Its display is darkish. Way overpriced also. The 87V is a crossover electrician/electronics guy meter. A golden standard for all round accuracy responsiveness ergonomics ruggedness and longevity but big and expensive. I got one new for $200 by pure luck in 2013 and I enjoy it but all Fluke are overpriced kit unless you really use them and abuse them everyday. Still the 87V is much better value than the 117 IMHO. The cheap 17B that I also had and gave it to a friend recently was explicitly made in China and the board material was alike but the 87V says USA. Maybe they just put it together and calibrate it in USA from prefab parts, maybe not, I don't know.

I understand that it was an Extremely low price. But the way the one I bought didnt seem to show up in a straight search has me a little worried. I hope I dont wind up getting ripped off. Does Amazon have problems with scammers?
If it shows up and is what it says it is then I will be happy beyond belief and will thank you Rayma for showing me such a great deal...

Last edited:
Disabled Account
Joined 2002
What do people think about the Fluke 117 True RMS MultiMeter? Is this a good MM for using to test amps and hifi stereo's? Or is the 115 plenty fine?
Thanks

Hi I have the 117 (and many other DMMs) and to my surprise I use it most of all. It IS an electricians meter but it is small and ergonomic. So I use it more that the DMMs I have that can measure capacitance etc.

IMO a good buy !

rif

Joined 2003
Paid Member
If you're willing to go used, an 8060A was recommended to me. I purchased it on diyaudio, I have more confidence that it wasn't abused. So maybe put a WTB in the trading section, you never know what people have that they no longer need.

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.