Flat Earthers

Status
Not open for further replies.
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Wow, I will not comment on this, you said a lot about yourself...

Why? I just give some facts. Why does that say anything about me??

If you don't agree with me, why not say so, and why? Why always pull things into the personal area??
Do you want me to comment on what I think is your personality? You think that would help the discussion?

Jan

Last edited:
A common disconnect is to speak of nature or the universe as distinct from us, as in "man is destroying nature". We are part of it, our civilization is part of it, our tools and material possessions are part of it and our technologies are part of it. You can embrace or reject humans and their trappings and the impact they have, but it's all nature (or the universe if you prefer) and therefore natural!

Syllogism.
If we continue this thought, humanity damages nature, that is, damaged itself.

Why? I just give some facts. Why does that say anything about me??

If you don't agree with me, why not say so, and why? Why always pull things into the personal area??
Do you want me to comment on what I think is your personality? You think that would help the discussion?

Jan

Yes is a fact but how could you support that? For example, the Cern cost is in the billions of dollars range. What the humanity gained from Cern, so that money is not used for solving hunger or any other problem that we have in this world? What about NASA and "space exploration", what humanity gained from that? We, the individuals ARE the humanity.

Syllogism.
If we continue this thought, humanity damages nature, that is, damaged itself.

Yes, but damage is a value judgement relevant in our short timeframes. Imagine if hundreds of millions of years ago plants were sentient and communicated as we do. There might have arisen a panic over the atmosphere being polluted with the corrosive gas oxygen due to plant respiration. Doomsday scenarios could have included the nightmare of a planet-wide conflagration in this new combustible atmosphere. Instead the door was opened to animal life respiring on this deadly gas.

We can't (or don't want to) see the long game that nature or the universe plays because it definitely includes our personal demise and may include the demise of our species. Nature/the universe will continue to do its magic under any scenario until the entropic heat death untold billions of years hence, and that too will be natural!

We can't (or don't want to) see the long game that nature or the universe plays

All things, including humans, have a finite "dynamic range" for lack of a better term. Ours is continually expanding.....we learn new techniques to see smaller and smaller things, and to peer further out into our "universe."

The earth (flat, round, or cube shaped) is all part of some larger system we call the universe......We currently can not see out into it far enough to find it's end, or determine if there is one, so we believe it is "infinite." This may be because we have accepted that fact for a long time, and no valid challenges to that "fact" have come forth.

How do we know that our universe doesn't exist inside some college kid's test tube on a shelf next to some other "universes" in similar test tubes, all to be flushed down some cosmic toilet when the semester is over. We can not fathom a distance or time scale big enough to allow this because it is outside our current dynamic range. Are there also more "universes" so tiny that we can not imagine them? Are the electrons orbiting around the nucleus of an atom really planets on a uber small scale?

We believe that we understand the electromagnetic spectrum, or at least a good part of it, from sound up through light.....How about the time spectrum or the distance spectrum, are there significant portions of these spectrums still unexplored? Does infinity really exist? Or is our "vision" too small?

Does this make any sense to anybody else, or is the insanity that I struggle with daily showing again?

Yes is a fact but how could you support that? For example, the Cern cost is in the billions of dollars range. What the humanity gained from Cern, so that money is not used for solving hunger or any other problem that we have in this world? What about NASA and "space exploration", what humanity gained from that? We, the individuals ARE the humanity.

These are not good examples.
Basic research would have the most important for survive of mankind.
Even though there is no direct business benefit.
But what about armaments and the pursuit of profits beyond of all measure?

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
All things, including humans, have a finite "dynamic range" for lack of a better term. Ours is continually expanding.....we learn new techniques to see smaller and smaller things, and to peer further out into our "universe."

The earth (flat, round, or cube shaped) is all part of some larger system we call the universe......We currently can not see out into it far enough to find it's end, or determine if there is one, so we believe it is "infinite." This may be because we have accepted that fact for a long time, and no valid challenges to that "fact" have come forth.

How do we know that our universe doesn't exist inside some college kid's test tube on a shelf next to some other "universes" in similar test tubes, all to be flushed down some cosmic toilet when the semester is over. We can not fathom a distance or time scale big enough to allow this because it is outside our current dynamic range. Are there also more "universes" so tiny that we can not imagine them? Are the electrons orbiting around the nucleus of an atom really planets on a uber small scale?

We believe that we understand the electromagnetic spectrum, or at least a good part of it, from sound up through light.....How about the time spectrum or the distance spectrum, are there significant portions of these spectrums still unexplored? Does infinity really exist? Or is our "vision" too small?

Does this make any sense to anybody else, or is the insanity that I struggle with daily showing again?

Makes sense to me.

Jan

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member

Good point. Two comments. It is hard to predict what comes out research like this. You can make the point that without the 'fallout' from basic chemical research that gave us fertilizers, a lot more people would go hungry today.
We have a research nuclear reactor in The Netherlands that the green party (and a lot of others) want to shut down due to fears of an accident. But we can't shut it down - it manufactures more than 1/3rd of the worlds nuclear isotopes for cancer treatment.

Second. Why do we build a spacestation instead of helping the hungry people? For the same reason people here spend $ 40 on a boutique capacitor instead of using that $ 40 to support a family of 6 for a month in Kenia.

Asking such questions is fine, but be sure to be intellectually honest to yourself (this is not a critique to you personally).

Jan

Good point. Two comments. It is hard to predict what comes out research like this. You can make the point that without the 'fallout' from basic chemical research that gave us fertilizers, a lot more people would go hungry today.
We have a research nuclear reactor in The Netherlands that the green party (and a lot of others) want to shut down due to fears of an accident. But we can't shut it down - it manufactures more than 1/3rd of the worlds nuclear isotopes for cancer treatment.

Second. Why do we build a spacestation instead of helping the hungry people? For the same reason people here spend $ 40 on a boutique capacitor instead of using that $ 40 to support a family of 6 for a month in Kenia.

Asking such questions is fine, but be sure to be intellectually honest to yourself (this is not a critique to you personally).

Jan

Jan, I'm not a saint, but at least I'm questoning things. I didn't understand, you are not against nuclear reactor? Using nuclear isotopes for "cancer treatment" is a great example of distorted humanity and science relationship.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Using nuclear isotopes for "cancer treatment" is a great example of distorted humanity and science relationship.

Well I would hate to see these patients die because I am against a nuclear reactor.

And we all know that the dead toll from nuclear accidents is nothing compared to the yearly premature deads from dirty coal plants.

Jan

Status
Not open for further replies.