First Watt F8

Joined 2019
Paid Member
^ So, cloning something without permission for one's own use is OK, is a shared opinion? Am I understanding that correctly or taking anything out of context?

Stealing is OK, if it's only for personal use and not for resale. Is that the context that is part of your personal opinion? I won't state any opinion other than my own, but it's not OK with me. Further, in the USA, it is illegal if the property is protected.

I've put my opinions and facts supporting them in various other threads, so I won't go down the rabbit hole further. However, I am curious why it comes up so frequently.

I don't hold it against anyone... for clarity of my own opinion. I don't really care if others share my opinion. I just wonder why everyone thinks it's okay sometimes. Whether they're ignorant of the laws, if their ethics / morals are slightly different than my own, or other reasons.

I will share facts. Others are free to form opinions around them.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Why is it literally called intellectual property theft then?

I'm fully awake. Perhaps our opinions or our point of view differ, but stealing intellectual property for personal use is not okay with me. Plus, it's illegal in the USA.

If that's not what you were describing, then okay. Please clarify. We can do it via PM if you'd like.

Joined 2019
Paid Member

Absolutely not, why would you think that it would be based on anything I've just written?

I do not advocate / support Intellectual Property Theft AT ALL on any level.

<cough> Wake up, brother!

I need to add a bit of levity. I truly respect yours in particular and everyone's opinions around here, particularly in the Pass forums. I fully admit that my opinions around IP theft are a bit extreme. However, I get ill at ease when people think may think that OK equals legal.

I speed all the time. It's illegal, but it's OK. I'm no saint, nor do I want to pretend to be. I just don't want people to think just because Nelson et. al. are VERY generous with THEIR IP that it's simply "OK" or legal to take someone's intellectual property without permission *even for personal use".

I hope that provides a bit more clarity and levity.

Cheers!

:cheers:

Edited to add - I'm assuming, but I am not certain, that the product linked has protected IP associated with it. If not.. it's technically legal to sell, but I I'd still consider the person selling them to be a bit lazy. Design your own stuff...

Legally speaking it is probably IP theft in any case personal use or not, if there is no public license.
Even "stealing" schematics from forum posts that are not explicitly protected might be considered IP theft personal use or not.

I'd compare IP theft to media piracy as it has similar issues. Personally I'd take the irrational "communist" approach in that it is okay for poor people to pirate stuff for personal use - I surely did when I was a poor student.

Sorry for the indulgence in off-topics :blush:

"I speed all the time. It's illegal, but it's OK. I'm no saint, nor do I want to pretend to be."

I do not speed all the time. Itʻs not OK IMO even though the speed limits in some areas are overly protective of apparently non-existent pedestrians (and perhaps bicyclists). I am no saint, nor do I want to pretend to be, but I do aspire to live a moral/ ethical life - taking into account the views of many others who do not share the same values or perspectives as me. I donʻt expect them to follow me without thinking, but I do hope (perhaps irrationally) that they may just stop and cogitate.

Reactions: 1 users
Joined 2019
Paid Member
^ Exactly. Well-stated.

Also... I was in some ways hoping that people might ask... or bring up... well, how fast is too fast, etc. etc. I specifically left out how much I might exceed the speed limit and any conditions around it.

I stated the facts and my opinion around IP theft. Nothing more, and nothing less.

I don't judge others that actively participate in and publicly condone IP theft. I would like more people to perhaps make more informed opinions / choices. However, if the speed limit is posted, it is understood, and people continue to speed, then that is their informed choice. Continuing with the analogy, I choose to believe, however naively, that many simply don't know the speed limit and/or think that stealing IP for one's own use is similar to speeding 'just a little' ... It's technically illegal ... but it's likely never to be an issue.

Anyway, back on topic. Apologies ... admittedly this topic is a passion of mine.

1689002992377.png

Does anyone know what those connectors might be? I cannot find them on Mouser or Digikey.