First Watt F7 review

Joined 2002
Paid Member
Nag,

Study all posts that have either conceptual or actually drawn circuits.

You have to have two feedback loops, one negative (voltage) loop and one positive (current) loop.

The circuit you are drawing here has no current loop. You have to measure the current through the load. This means that if you disconnect the load, there will be no positive feedback at all. This bit is critical and missing from your last schematic.

Sorry if that sounds cryptic but I don't think I want to give away more clues. As Nelson said, there is a post here that contains a decently working circuit. And there are at least three of them.

The one and only
Joined 2001
Paid Member
Whenever I read my brain goes somewhere. in F7 manual there is no degeneration resistor. But in image green resistor there. What is that green resistor value?. So much highly technical details are there in this thread. actually, I gained some knowledge in a complementary push-pull circuit from Mr. Nelson Pass articles. That credit goes to Mr.Papa. somehow I know voltage feedbacks. Still, I don't know current negative feedback and current positive feedback. Just I am simulating what I have learned.

The green resistor is 0.1 ohms in series with supply allowing reading of the
bias current.

I got a 4K input impedance. 0.87 output impedance. 14.5dB gain. 2dB positive feedback.

The First Watt F7 output impedance is 0.08 ohms as per FIRST WATT

Attachments

• FW_amp_specs.jpg
    FW_amp_specs.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 1,113
Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
OK, I am lifelong Adoptee candidate (whom Papa is ignoring all the time ) , but I really have nothing with grants of that sort

:rofl:

however , as one of Greedy Boyz brigade I can tell -- feel free to post fruits of your work, just don't expect confirmation how close is to real F7

all rest of us can and will say is - will it work .....

input impedance 11K.
output impedance -0.150ohm

8ohm load gain 14.665dB
4ohm load gain 14.760dB
2ohm load gain 14.918dB

I have a very basic knowledge of audio amplifiers. Please ignore if it is wrong.

I have never built an F7. I have no secret knowledge of a real F7.

I can tell you that a negative output impedance is probably a bad thing. Tweak your feedback resistors until you have some small positive output impedance that suits you.

A negative output impedance may indicate too much positive feedback which could indicate that you have built an oscillator.