• The Vendor's Bazaar forum is for commercial offers and transactions. Only unmoderated members can post here.

diyAudio provides this forum for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members. Use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

First One - mosFET amplifier module

I believe you wanted to say "earth" ?
Well, Is-it mechanically possible to fix (with somme cooler grease) this heat sink at a main chassis's one ? Or directly the switching mosfets (at our own risks) ?

yes earth,sorry.

I not see the problem maybe. the heatsink as default is connected to gnd.
but is simple disconnect from it.
hot problem is related to trafo, no others.
we have to consider the drop voltage under transient is <200mV at full power. (full power, is not 12,6Amp as resistive load,but 23A on reactive load)
this is a impressive energy. right this,offer the new dynamics and timbre.

I can adjust (for example) a decrease in 5-6V under transient, it is also good compared to other smps.
the DPS-500-S is perfect for this performance, I honestly do not know of any complaints or broken one. I mean, is not critical. as is not critical "DA" version at 46V for example.

Last edited:
hot problem is related to trafo, no others..
Ok. Thanks for this answer, AP2.
So, to resume, and if i understood well, the SMPS you send to L.C. are tuned to a highter output voltage than the max one required both for good regulation and heat in the trafo.
And the only solution will be to reduce the rails to 56V on those.

And you propose now an other model "DPS-500/S-64V" not yet available, witch will be specially engineered to work perfectly in the best conditions for 63V out. Right ?

Last question, did-you have a solution for those, like me, interested in a mono SMPS able to feed two First One (or VSSA) modules ?
A >= 1000W one.

Last edited:
Ok. Thanks for this answer, AP2.
So, to resume, and if i understood well, the SMPS you send to L.C. are tuned to a highter output voltage than the max one required both for good regulation and heat in the trafo.
And the only solution will be to reduce the rails to 56V on those.

And you propose now an other model "DPS-500/S-64V" not yet available, witch will be specially engineered to work perfectly in the best conditions for 63V out. Right ?

Last question, did-you have a solution for those, like me, interested with a mono SMPS able to feed two First One (or VSSA) modules ?

I'm wrong for sure (lost money and time also) sent the DPS-500-DA at 61v.
as already explained.

for DPS-500-S-64 I offer is in stock ready. it is not " other model", LC is the model he wanted, if you remember well.

I put this information right for correctness....no other :)

I do not have a smps like you are looking for. personally, I am opposed to the use of a smps for two amps. (only for technical reasons, no doubt linked to the resulting sound).
but this is better kept my opinion.:p

I do not have a smps like you are looking for. personally, I am opposed to the use of a smps for two amps. (only for technical reasons, no doubt linked to the resulting sound).
but this is better kept my opinion.:p
Oh, no. We are all here to share our experiences.
I ended to this conclusion after decades of amplifier's designs as a R&D member and numerous listening session of other's amplifiers while i was in charge of the technical management of professional recording studios.
I have NO DOUBT about this.
And i can explain technically the advantages to use a single SMPS for stereo amplifiers.
It is very simple.
Whatever you try, their is an influence on rails voltages by the currents asked during transients. Keeping those variations common to the two amplifiers help to keep stereo image stable.
The other advantage is the current capacity is doubled in case of a transient in only one channel.
Third advantage, there is only one switching frequency leakage, not two close from each other, with the beatings they can create in the audio range.
Fourth, it is simpler in physical implementation, less expensive, and takes less space inside amplifier's enclosures.
The only negative point is the care you have to take of ground loops.

Esperado,
I 'd be happy to bring my experiences , as well as my studies in the direction of what has formed a sound in nature . but it is not possible for sellers thread .
we have to open a new thread for this . without , malicius intention.

At the moment , I can contradict your experiences ( with respect) .
First , one toroidal at 50Hz, does not have the same behavior as 1 smps .

from the old school : some "guru" is sure to achieve a magical sound, with caps , gnd loop , AC -phase etc, etc. , but if you ask for a scientific explanation , it is not Able to explain well. simply do not know .
example, in " stereo " , we speak of " height of the stage " , stage, and location of the various instruments in the listening space . this information is contained in the record of course. but you know how they are re-created in your room ? I mean , you are Able then , realizze circuit , so as you move the stage or musical instrument in the space?

I mean, a ton of "secrets" are reduced to simply (not know a scientific explanation ) , obvious that there :)
Unfortunately, the high-fidelity stopped in the 1980 , there is no new research .
I could show a lot of explanations, even on interpretation of the measures on the audio.

as " the relationship between the electrical signal , and the sound we hear ."
last : it is impossible that LC does not feel with DPS -500 , that the drums are transformed from " tomp " to " tocc " , even at 50w, then far from clip area. what is then?

First , one toroidal at 50Hz, does not have the same behavior as 1 smps .
True, omho, if we talk about switching evils in the AC rails (witch will be returned by ground leakages etc.).
Not so true, if we compare rail regulations (on fast enough regulated supplies) when main caps have enough stock energy. Don't imagine i'm unaware of the SMPS advantages: Ask to L.C.: i was the first to argue about their sonic qualities in the VSSA thread.
I prefer SMPS for a lot of reasons that i'm too lazy to list here. Main are simplicity (for us ;-), weight, cost, efficiency and sonic qualities.
BTW, i begin to have a real allergy to the word 'Guru'. Never met such animals, only more or less experienced, innovative and clever designers.

Hi guys :wave2:

I would just like to say that I'm so sad that DPS-500 can not run on higher powers, because sound with this SMPS is just perfect. :cloud9:

Today I went to one friend whos owning Martin Logan EM-ESL, entry level ESL speakers, and I was so pleased with sound that I would really like to share this experience with all of you. :worship:

Finally soon you all will be able to share back your impressions as the packages from pic bellow will go to travel the world from now on. :Present:

Regards L.C. :cheers:

Attachments

• First One pakiranje.JPG
    First One pakiranje.JPG
    523.1 KB · Views: 734
Hi guys :wave2:

I would just like to say that I'm so sad that DPS-500 can not run on higher powers, because sound with this SMPS is just perfect. :cloud9:

Today I went to one friend whos owning Martin Logan EM-ESL, entry level ESL speakers, and I was so pleased with sound that I would really like to share this experience with all of you. :worship:

Finally soon you all will be able to share back your impressions as the packages from pic bellow will go to travel the world from now on. :Present:

Regards L.C. :cheers:

Uh! same my idea for my new amp. red cartoon as "F1" ahahah!

very nice package! :up:

Hi,
Honestly, I expect to LC, 2 simple measure. Ripple (for now at 6R load, 61V) and fft on amp at 50W. just to see the Miracle ... eheh!

Why not full measurements like he did with SMPS2000R and why only 50W ?
I thought that the SMPS can be tested at 11.8A ? http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vend...e-mosfet-amplifier-module-10.html#post3896812 If you claimed 11.8A continuous, I think we can make the tests for at least 30min. LC, please do the same measurements and post the results.

Why not full measurements like he did with SMPS2000R and why only 50W ?
I thought that the SMPS can be tested at 11.8A ? http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/vend...e-mosfet-amplifier-module-10.html#post3896812 If you claimed 11.8A continuous, I think we can make the tests for at least 30min. LC, please do the same measurements and post the results.

Forget DPS-500, Roberto said that DPS-500/S-64V is the way to go for the First One, so we will wait to get samples and than I'll do measurements.

It is meaningless to measure or buy any SMPS if can't not supply an amp for at least 10 min at full power. :yes: