FINISHED ALPAIR 10 BASS + 5

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi all,

just finished the alpair10 bass + alpair 5 last weekend, although have those since last year visit to mark in hongkong :D.

i followed mark's recommendation for 14L vol for the 10 bass and more or less 0.8L for the alpair 5.

xo would be series xo with 1.5mH, 30uf Solen + 3.9uf Clarity cap, with 2.2ohm resistor in series before xo for the 5.

overall i experience good dynamics, but i notice there's no solid presentation for the soundstage and abit distortion (which no distortion when i took out the xo parts and run fullrange on both).

cheers
henry

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

Hello Henry :) I'm not a fan of tower cabinets ,but this may be the solution to your 'case' :D
From what I see ,and feel , the cabinet is some dome+woofer design ,but those drivers are different , I guess ..
A taller and slimmer cabinet , with drivers more spaced and maybe a double chamber reflex ( DCR ) , would allow the 'image' to be spread correctly ,and
a more precise job with the crossover would complete the whole .
(or ..cover the hole :rolleyes: )

Hi Henry,

Thanks for sharing. I've got a pair of A5s, which I have tried using as a tweeter. I crossed mine 2nd order at around 1.2kHz. I did not get a fantastic 3d soundstage, but did get a smooth top end unlike the compressed sound from a usual dome.

Maybe some run in and a few experimentation tweeks and you'll get what you are looking for.

hi

to mark
its 14 litre for alp10bass and 3liter for alpair5. i did use 1.0mh and 1.5mh for alp10, and 22 and 30uf cap for the alp5.

when i got my minidsp, i tried few config
1. 1500hz cutoff with 12db linkwitz riley - better dynamics, abit more body, more spl
2. 500hz cutoff with 12db linkwitz riley - less spl, less dynamic, but it is superb on coherent.

to ultrakaz
i didnt experience 3D soundstage also, but very good in tonality and timing accuracy.

right now im using OB with Alp 10FR and Eminence Beta15.
it beats the alp10bass + alp 5 in every aspect.
what im getting from OB
1. Better dynamics
2. Big body
3. Big soundstage
4. Almost 3D soundstage, if ur near to the speaker (-+ 1m u will hear the sound came from the speakers) +2m u will see solid soundstage, no matter u move left or right.
5. Better Bass (beta15)

cheers
henry

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.